Hey there.

I recently got a new guitar I want to use strictly for metal, and I'm realizing that my pedal hardly compliments it--so I need a new one.

I'm a Metalcore guy mostly. I like to play speedy, with chunky palm mutes, lot's of harmonics, and plenty of tapping/sweeping on solo's, I like a nice rough, crunchy sound, though I like my solo's to sound smooth.

I need something a 'la Atreyu, Darkest Hour, Sword, etc.
Though if I had to pick one, I'm really trying to nail that Atreyu sound.

My pedal is a Boss MT-2. My amp is a Marshall JCM 2000, DSL 401. The guitar is an ESP MH-400, with the EMG 81/85 combo if that helps you in determining what I need.

I've know that Dan Jacobs, from Atreyu, uses some form of "Boss Overdrive", so that narrows it down. I've been told to get a BD-2 by some people.

Can you please help me? I just shelled out half a years worth of savings on my new guitar, and I'm not getting the tone I desire...

Thank you all!
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
i thought the dsl would have given you a pretty mean tone combined with the EMGs...
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
digitech death metal is sweet for solos, but as far as riffs might go , maybe not if you like mildly distorted riffs.
prolly metal zone
but if u want a bassier distortion try the metalcore
the ehx metal muff is nasty but more trebley ( i think its more transparent then i think my amps suck =])
theres that landmine distortion which is insane
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Yeah the Metal Muff sounded pretty damned good to me.

Well the DSL does give me a pretty good tone, but the MT-2 just seems to be holding me back is all.
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
the Boss MT-2 works fine for metalcore for me...assuming you mess around with the knobs for a while.
Although, only two of the songs I have written are metalcore..so..
"I've know that Dan Jacobs, from Atreyu, uses some form of "Boss Overdrive", so that narrows it down. I've been told to get a BD-2 by some people."

He also uses a EMG Afterburner on his guitar which is were alot of his gain is coming from.. You might look into that as well.
Wow we have the same exact set up haha crazy. Well im going to be getting the Metal Muff to go with my dsl for metal too.
metal muff or devi ever torn's peaker
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Maxon OD808. Don't get a distortion pedal. The Maxon is great for boosting the lead channel in order to tighten up the gain and in your case make it chunkier.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Maxon OD808. Don't get a distortion pedal. The Maxon is great for boosting the lead channel in order to tighten up the gain and in your case make it chunkier.

+1
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Metal Muff for the win. I've had the DOD grunge, MT2, and metal master, it **** slaps all of them.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+