So, at the local guitar shop, there is a guy who says every time we play a guitar (which are all Squiers and Greg Bennets) that the guitar is made by Samick. When asked about two different brands (comparing and such) he just says "It really makes no difference, about 90% of guitars are made by Samick". So my question is: Is this true, to any degree? Thanks!

Edit: I also find his less credible because of other "views" he has (such as all great guitar players play with the EQ at 10; you can use solid states hooked up to cabinets for gigs for "great tone", and that all his customers don't know s**t)
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Feb 13, 2008,
Squiers are not, but Greg Bennets are made by Samick (I know, I own one).
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
he's not talking just about the ones he carries, he says all guitars are
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by theacousticpunk

Oh, well in that case, he's an idiot.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by theacousticpunk
So, at the local guitar shop, there is a guy who says every time we play a guitar (which are all Squiers and Greg Bennets) that the guitar is made by Samick. When asked about two different brands (comparing and such) he just says "It really makes no difference, about 90% of guitars are made by Samick". So my question is: Is this true, to any degree? Thanks!

Edit: I also find his less credible because of other "views" he has (such as all great guitar players play with the EQ at 10; you can use solid states hooked up to cabinets for gigs for "great tone", and that all his customers don't know s**t)

He didn't say all guitars are made by Samick, and he probably exaggerated the percentage too, but I can't prove any truth in this.
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Quote by theacousticpunk

There are very few situations in which I condone telling someone off, but this is one of them. Fucking scream at the ignorant bastard if you have to. He's wrong.
Tiger style.
i want to, but the asshole gives discounts... and treats me like i don't know s**t
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
While his number is off a bit I'm sure (and I don't agree with the difference thing), a very good portion of guitars made in Korea do come from the Samick factory.

Samick is the biggest guitar manufacturer in Korea (one of the largest worldwide) and they're contracted to build many of the guitar or guitar parts for lots of other manufacturers. The Greg Bennett line is the only Samick branded line (designed by Greg Bennett). Washburn, Epiphone, and I think also Schecters are just some of the companies that they build for. If a guitar is "Made in Korea," there's a very good chance that it came from a Samick factory.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Yeah, I have a local shop that swear by their Peaveys and Samicks.

They're decent for the price, but I wouldn't buy one.

The people in the store try and hype them up a lot though.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.