Okay guys,

I tried this over at G,B & C, but no one wanted to help out so I'm gonna try here.

I got my Blackheart BH5H 5 watt all tube head today and, due to the ineptitude (sp?) of MF, I didn't get my cab. I've called them and it should ship today, but I really want to play through my new amp bad!!! So I've heard of folks wiring their combos to work as speaker cabinets as well as combo amps, though I've never read about how to do it.

If my intuition is correct, if I cut the wires running from the actual amp of the combo to the speaker, and wire in the extra 1/4" female jack I have should be able to connect my head to the speaker of the combo, and if I wire in another 1/4" male jack to the amp side, I should be able to hook it back up and use it either way.

The combo is a Peavy Transtube Backstage 10 watt RMS running at 8 Ohms to a 6.5" custom designed speaker.

First would this work? Are there any special tricks I should know about? Will I hurt my new toy?

Any insight is appriciated, so post away!

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
It should work in theory, but let somebody who's done this confirm, unless you want to trust me...

Cool, that's what I thought. I'll still wait around a bit to see if any one else wants to chime in.

Also, does anyone know what wire (white or black) should be the + side on the combo? I'm thinking white, but I'm a noob when it comes to amp mods.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
All you should have to do is unplug the speaker from the the amp and plug it into the BH head.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
All you should have to do is unplug the speaker from the the amp and plug it into the BH head.

Most small combo's don't feature a jack between the head and speaker, they're just wired
ohai little sig.
Quote by jb_designs
Cool, that's what I thought. I'll still wait around a bit to see if any one else wants to chime in.

Also, does anyone know what wire (white or black) should be the + side on the combo? I'm thinking white, but I'm a noob when it comes to amp mods.

Well black will usually be ground.

Therefore, white = +

So if you're wiring it to a jack, the black should be wired to the sleeve and white wired to the tip. If i were you, I'd find something that's not your new amp to test this with first, even if you plug it into the speaker out on this peavey amp if it has one, just to save killing your amp if you have got it wrong.
Quote by Kevin Saale

It doesn't have jack going from the combo "head" to the speaker, there's just pair of wires that run from the chassis to a pair of connectors on the speaker. I need a 1/4" jack to plug the speaker cable to the speaker.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Well black will usually be ground.

Therefore, white = +

So if you're wiring it to a jack, the black should be wired to the sleeve and white wired to the tip. If i were you, I'd find something that's not your new amp to test this with first, even if you plug it into the speaker out on this peavey amp if it has one, just to save killing your amp if you have got it wrong.

Good that's what I thought.

For the testing, it doesn't have a line out, that's really the reason I wanted to wire a male jack to the amp side of the wires, not really to be able to use the combo in the future, TBH I probably won't ever plug into it again, but it would serve as a good "test animal" to use Blackheart terminology.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Well, it works for anyone who is interested. The tone was SOOOOO much better than my old amp, though the bass respose was serverly limited (due to the 6.5" driver). I had to dial the bass down to like 2.

Any way thanks for the resposes.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.