Ok, so im pissed that i have NOW found out i cant do multitrack recording with my Carvin s16 after being told by the idiotic sales rep it was "Multi track ready" to your computer right out of the box. Thats all i really wanted, and after weeks of trying and asking Mackie if its possible with tracktion 3, its not possible; not just for tracktion 3, just in general its not possible.

I am gonna get rid of this thing and i need advice on a DIGITAL mixer. Basically something that will do multi tracking directly into my comp. I have checked into the firepod, but thats not exactly what i want. All of the digital mixers that i have come across are like.....1200+. Anyone know of a GOOD MULTI TRACK mixer that i can plug right into my comp, via USB or Firewire? Scare me with the price i dont care. Im lost.....
Only Firewire will do that. I'm guessing you want not just multiple inputs (which the Carvin does...it'll just output stereo), but separate ones. Mackie's Onyx series (starts at $580) combined with the firewire card ($300) should be exactly what you want. If you want an audio interface, you can get away with something cheaper (and use something like a Behringer BCF ($200) to control the sound levels).
Yea my dad and i checked into the Onyx stuff and we were gonna do something like that. I think thats a good idea, i just wish it wasnt so expensive and they incorporated it all-in-one. Thanks for the input though, craigslist here i come....
The Mackie firewire mixers only send out the signal after the preamp, I'm not sure if it even goes though the EQ when sending over firewire (I've only been told this...)

Also be sure you have a super fast computer to keep up with all the inputs if you are going to be doing any more than 4 tracks at a time...

Firewire mixers are the only ones who can send out more than one stereo track at the time time. USB2.0 is fast but cant transfer all that data at one time.

Now you've learned a lesson though, read up on your setup and gear first...then go buy.
this will help fight against those sales reps trying to sell anything they can. They mostly live around GC.

BTW you don't NEED a mixer, you could go with a multi input interface like the PreSonus FP10...

Saves you money and you already have a mixer in the software. If you want hands on use instead of a mouse, get a control surface.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 13, 2008,
Believe it or not, my dad wants to purchase an Onyx 1640, yes....a 1640. Thats a lot of money, but if hes paying for it, oh well.

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1640/index.html

With the Firewire option btw.....

I think its overkill, my dad said, "This is rock and roll son, 1620 is not rock and roll"
Quote by moody07747
The Mackie firewire mixers only send out the signal after the preamp, I'm not sure if it even goes though the EQ when sending over firewire (I've only been told this...)

That is correct - the signal is taken and converted right after the preamp and before it hits the eq.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

you could try the alesis multimix 16 firewire - i think it sends all channels (the 8 channel one does) and its for about 400$
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)
Quote by thrice_removed
That is correct - the signal is taken and converted right after the preamp and before it hits the eq.

So...in a nutshell what does that mean? I will only be able to use the program to get the levels of each instrument than i would otherwise just use the board?

^Alesis doesnt have anything that interests me, thanks though.
Quote by dogismycopilot
I am gonna get rid of this thing...

Why, thats a nice mixer dude. Keep it and get a multi channel interface.

EDIT: Didn't read the whole thread, before posting. +1 for moody....
Last edited by Death-Speak at Feb 14, 2008,
what it means is you are paying all that money for a mixer that will only use the preamps and a few basic components before sending out to the PC...

In a case like this, I suggest getting something like the FP10...
it will allow you to mix in the box, add any FX you need...just a lot more for your money IMO.
any money you save going for the interface instead of the mackie could go towards a recording and editing software like Sonar