Page 1 of 4
how do they stand in a band in the sense of importance.

a lot of my friends think that drummers are just people that play drums cuz they cant play any other instrument, but i think that they are just as important as the guitarrists, as long as they are alright.

what do you guys think?
Drums basically keep the band together and timed right. Whenever I practice with my band as opposed to myself or just my bassist, it's a lot easier and sounds a hell of a lot better.
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
Drummers keep the beat and the rhythm. Simple as that.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I drums.

I like drummers that are good at drumming.

EDIT:
Quote by FloyDZeD
Bullshit.
Quote by FloyDZeD
Drummers enhance the beat and the rhythm. Simple as that.

Fixed.

Without a drummer, your music is going to sound like unplugged garbage. Nothing wrong with that, unless your play with an electric guitar. Drummers are 50% of the band IMO.

Another thing is that drums are pretty hard to play well. Anyone can learn the beginners beat, but it takes someone with true skill to play more of the advanced stuff.
I think alot of people talk smack about drummers, not lknowing EXACTLY how much skill, coordination and talent is required to play them.
Not Enough AssHatery
As much as i joke about drummers, they really are important in a band.
in rock, they're the most important people.

in ... bluegrass. they don't exist.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan

Pshh.. Bluegrass shouldn't exist .
A great drummer can add an orchestra's worth to the overall sound of a band's music. A ****ty drummer can totally ruin an otherwise good performance. In rock and roll a good drummer is key.
Bass and drums hold the band together.
Proof my band for 3 years.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
Drums are what make songs interesting, it gives a beat you can headbang, nod, kung fu, or simply moan in higher understanding to. Drums, like it or not, are the most important aspect to modern music, next to a melody.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
They are the least important instrument in teh worldz!!1
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
there just as important as the other band members

take away a drummer, and the music isn't the same.
take away a guitarist, and the music isn't the same.
take a away a singer, and the music isn't the same.
take away a bassist, and you have more room in the car now.

...i couldn't resist:P
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
drums are absolutely necessary not just to keep the rest of the band together, but also to add to the music. they're part of the band too!
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
Quote by MySweetFracture
I think alot of people talk smack about drummers, not knowing EXACTLY how much skill, coordination and talent is required to play them.

Exactly!
That's what I was thinking coming into this thread.
Quote by byob_soad2
Exactly!
That's what I was thinking coming into this thread.
Screw the talent needed to play them - people underestimate how much they contribute to the sound.
Bad drummer= bad band.
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
i know what ur tring to say,this is also like alot of bass players who changed over from guitar,like there ok but they dont give u that feeling and most of them use pick whitch is bull**** if u ask me.
Quote by primusfan

not true, lots of bluegrass bands will at least have a snare
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
The drummer in our band is sheer awesome. I think with most drummers, give them time and they'll blossom. But if they're stuck in a pop-punk band playing just high-hats and snare combos with the odd cymbal smash, they aint gonna go nowhere fast.
Quote by NutZz?
there just as important as the other band members

take away a drummer, and the music isn't the same.
take away a guitarist, and the music isn't the same.
take a away a singer, and the music isn't the same.
take away a bassist, and you have more room in the car now.

...i couldn't resist:P

Dude, a good bassist is just as important as a drummer and far more important than a guitarist.
Not many bands can pull off drumless stuff. Certainly not electric bands. They can't match the percussiveness of an acoustic guitar.

Basically, without a drummer, almost any electric band will sound like crap.

Drums are the biggest source of rhythm for the music. They provide the heartbeat, giving the music machine its life.

Drums are essential.

Plus, who doesn't like a kick-ass drum fill/line/solo?

And drummers CAN play instruments, that's a common idiotic myth. In fact, they often have the best ability to read note timing, as it's SO essential to their craft.

So, all in all, drummers own.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by lo_jack
Dude, a good bassist is just as important as a drummer and far more important than a guitarist.

someone's a bassist.
i think he realizes that, he was just attempting to be funny.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
Quote by lo_jack
Yeah because everyone listens to bands to hear the grunge of the bass and the insane bass solos.
it's a lot harder to play solos on drums though (unless youre neil pert).
but assuming none of us are, bass, guitar, and vocals are a lot easier to solo with and your flaws arent always as noticeable as they are on drums.
that being said, however, i think all parts of the band are equally necessary, but its all about how you make each individual sound that gives their importance to the band.

btw i play drums,guitar,bass,piano,trumpet,sax,and clarinet. i also am minoring in music/music education, so i know a thing or two about music.
everything seems to fall back on the drummer when playing songs.
"Here we are, Juggernaut."

/C/R/A/C/K/ my anti-dru...
Quote by powerchord9988
how do they stand in a band in the sense of importance.

a lot of my friends think that drummers are just people that play drums cuz they cant play any other instrument, but i think that they are just as important as the guitarrists, as long as they are alright.

what do you guys think?

Drummers are the foundations and back bone of a band. Especially very good drummers.
Quote by theking182
someone's a bassist.
i think he realizes that, he was just attempting to be funny.
As far as I'm concerned, they're the same goddamn thing, anyway.
Quote by fob12
Yeah because everyone listens to bands to hear the grunge of the bass and the insane bass solos.

Well, I'm a Who fan, so I do.

And yeah, I knew he was joking.
Quote by lo_jack

I know, I know, I used to play bass. I was terrible at it, which is why I don't like the instrument (although i have tremendous respect for people who DO know how to play it well). I wouldn't go as far as saying its MORE important than a guitarist, though
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Quote by lo_jack

A bassists is not far more important than a guitarist, they're important, but they can not make up for a poor guitarist.

Drummers are probably the most important part of a band's sound, and if you don't realize that you need to listen to more music.
Quote by sincewhen??
Bass and drums hold the band together.

Yup.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Righto. You're officially the best person ever.
Thanks babe.

Paine of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

SSBB FC: 0645 - 5498 - 0197
Quote by Flying Couch
EDIT:
Quote by FloyDZeD
Bullshit.

I'm sure he meant to say that's their job, and it's important.

However, as we've all seen, they can do fuckloads more while keeping that job done.
They're only important if they can keep a steady tempo.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by stringmagician
A bassists is not far more important than a guitarist, they're important, but they can not make up for a poor guitarist.

Drummers are probably the most important part of a band's sound, and if you don't realize that you need to listen to more music.

They can't necessarily make up for a poor guitarist (you can't really make up for any poor musicians) but a bass can carry a melody with such a richer, fuller sound than so many of the hackneyed, lame guitar tones sooo many guitarists use these days.
Page 1 of 4