Tape it to the jack on a 1/4 inch cable. Plug the cable into an amp. Tap the pole peices with a screwdriver. If it makes a noise, the pickup works.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I think he means test it as in check it's tone be sure it's something he/she likes.
plug it in your mother
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
not really, you have to try it in a guitar, and even then it might not sound the same
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
no. good luck holding a string with enough tension above it. only thing i can think of would be to hold a guitar above it.
put the pickup on a table and tape it to a 1/4 cable then plug the cable to an amp.
then find a friend and a guitar string. you hold one end of the string and your friend holds the other right over the pickup.
get another friend to pluck the string with a pick.

[/sarcasticresponse]

but yeah, probably just try to find another guitar with the same pickup and the same body wood as the guitar you want the new pickup in so the tone will be similar.
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
Quote by vamprocker
plug it in your mother

nonsensical mom jokes = medium-large fail
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
Quote by Nitroduck
nonsensical mom jokes = medium-large fail

perhaps even: large-very large
cant you just get an ohm meter and check to make sure the appropriate amount of current is flowing through there?
or something like that
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Yes, you can test it with a multimeter. It should show resistance if it is good, it should be in the 1K to 15K ohm range (1000-15000 ohm) Single coil will show less resistance than humbucker, in the 5-6K range.

That won't tell you what it will sound like, only wiring it into a guitar will do that, but it will tell you that it is electronically functional.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Yes, you can test it with a multimeter. It should show resistance if it is good, it should be in the 1K to 15K ohm range (1000-15000 ohm) Single coil will show less resistance than humbucker, in the 5-6K range.

That won't tell you what it will sound like, only wiring it into a guitar will do that, but it will tell you that it is electronically functional.

Very true. It all depends if you want to test it for tone or if it works. If you can't get any continuity between the leads (singles and humbuckers apply here), hook it up to a 1/4" jack and tap the polepieces with a ballpoint pen. It's a good way to test what pickup is functional if you've just rewired a switch too.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."