Anything I could do 2 improve my VK for a better overall tone improvement? like would a new speaker imrpove much? or new tubes?
sorry i dont have any advice, ive been looking at one of those is it a good amp?
Its a good amp! I love the cleans I get out it, but the distortion lacks for my playing style... its worth the price though.

Wat speaker/Tubes would u suggest?
V30 mabe, or Legend
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Check out the Only Valveking Discussion Thread, they've been discussing this for weeks. Good info.
I like it just like it is.
I mostly play Thrash/power metal, with a tad bit of Death metal... I use pedals for that tone though... I didnt think about searchin for a thread on this topic... I feel kinda stupid now...
You are not stupid, you just didn't know. I'm a Valveking fanatic so I know where all the dirt is.
Quote by SykoDelik
I mostly play Thrash/power metal, with a tad bit of Death metal... I use pedals for that tone though... I didnt think about searchin for a thread on this topic... I feel kinda stupid now...

What do you mean when you say the distortion is lacking? Do you mean theres not enough Gain? If so then get a Bad Monkey and use it to boost the amps distortion.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
If your looking to clean it up, like listed above. Tube change and new speakers. And a really good overdrive can do wonders to your gain section. Also a nice boutique distortion pedal for the clean side can bring in some variety..
Quote by mike.h
What do you mean when you say the distortion is lacking? Do you mean theres not enough Gain? If so then get a Bad Monkey and use it to boost the amps distortion.

Yah, I just ment onboard distortion.

thx for the ideas though, everyone.

I've though about celestion speakers, would that be a good choice, an if so, which one?

I dont know anything about tubes though....
throw it in the garbage and get a better amp.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Well heres the most well known that i know of...

Celestion

G12T-75
Released towards the end of the ’70s, the G12T-75 heralded a new era of high power guitar loudspeakers.

The G12T-75 is seen by many as the ultimate incarnation of the original Celestion G12M model – a Greenback on steroids in the quest for higher power. With its aggressive and spiky tonal qualities, the G12T-75 has featured extensively in cabinets like the legendary Marshall 1960.

The best selling guitar speaker of all time, the G12T-75 is in fact remarkably versatile, staying clean at thunderously high volume levels. But it’s in rock and metal that this speaker has really made its mark, with an emphasis on huge bass, relaxed mids and vibrant highs.
---

G12M 'Greenback'
Celestion’s first guitar loudspeaker featuring a ceramic magnet structure, the G12M ‘Greenback’ presented almost as much magnetic flux to the voice coil as an Alnico formulation, but in a much more compact space. As a result the Greenback became the guitar loudspeaker that paved the way for use with higher power amplifiers. And, of course, the ceramic magnet presented its own unique tonal characteristics.

The Greenback has a loud and assertive character that sounds great through a valve amp pushed into overdrive. The speaker has evolved over the decades and still presents that instantly familiar woody tone, delivered with a knockout punch.

--

Vintage 30
The Vintage 30 resulted from Celestion’s early steps to preserve the tonal characteristics of vintage speakers while using contemporary materials and construction techniques.

As the 1970s progressed and guitar amplifiers became more powerful, guitarists began to demand the tone of the Celestion Blue in a speaker that could handle more power. So in the early ’80s, Celestion made pioneering use of Laser Doppler Interferometry to analyse the cone behaviour of an original Celestion Blue. We could then form a precise model of our vintage speaker characteristics and apply it to a speaker design using new materials for greater power handling.

The result was an instant classic. Seemingly twice as loud as anything else at the same power level, the Vintage 30 handles massive overdrive sounds with ease. Tight bass, fat mids and a smooth, harmonically rich top end have made the Vintage 30 an excellent 4 x 12" loudspeaker. Of course, it’s also suitable for any other cab!

--

Classic Lead
The Classic Lead is a fine example of the sonic characteristics of a loudspeaker evolving as new materials become available.

Revolutionary in the late ’70s, a fibreglass voice coil former - capable of withstanding very high temperatures - was used to give the Classic Lead a muscular 80W power handling. This also increased barrel stiffness, affecting the way the cone vibrated and influencing cone break up. Then, through experimentation with edge treatments and continued critical listening, some modes were encouraged while others were suppressed, contributing to the speaker’s unique sound.

Today, the Classic Lead is much-loved by lead guitarists for its speed, punch and articulation, with every note clearly defined on even big, distorted sounds.

The Classic Lead also sounds great clean, with that same articulation combining with high headroom to deliver a fluid, dynamic performance

--

Eminence

TEXAS HEAT™
SPECIFICATION
Nominal Basket Diameter 12", 304.8mm
Nominal Impedance* 8 ohms
Power Rating
Watts 150W
Music Program
Resonance 79Hz
Usable Frequency Range 70Hz-5kHz
Sensitivity*** 99
Magnet Weight 38 oz.
Gap Height 0.312", 7.92mm
Voice Coil Diameter 2", 50.8mm
u can put a 22uF cap across R116 to squeeze out more gain probably.

and increase the values of the plate resistors on each preamp tube to about 180k or something.

if that's what you're trying to achieve. i just thought of that just from looking at this schematic. so nothing is confirmed. just throwing it out there.
http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/pv_valveking_112.pdf

probably not a good idea to mod an amp like that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by JLT73
throw it in the garbage and get a better amp.

youre not helping at all *reported*

yea a speaker change is supposed to get rid of the muddiness. im planning on getting a warehouse speaker (v30 clone) or im going to wait till i get back home in CA and play through my avatar with 2 v30's. dont know much about a tube swap though. i hear its to "change the flavor" of the amp.
Quote by sg622
youre not helping at all *reported*

yea a speaker change is supposed to get rid of the muddiness. im planning on getting a warehouse speaker (v30 clone) or im going to wait till i get back home in CA and play through my avatar with 2 v30's. dont know much about a tube swap though. i hear its to "change the flavor" of the amp.

my opinion. Don't be a pussy
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73

thanks for supporting my case

anywho, does anyone have anything on how you can have different preamp tubes in different spots to make the amp sound different? i feel like i read it on here but i cant find it.
one thing you need is an overdrive pedal with that amp. TRUST me on this one. I wouldn't like my 6505 nowhere near as much if it wasnt for my bad monkey tube overdrive. My friends valveking sounded like crap until I plugged up the bad monkey. Def transformed it. I think it makes a huge difference.
Quote by JLT73

He wasn't asking your opinion on whether or not he should throw it out, was he?

And yeah I'd say an overdrive would be best for what you're looking for.
If you want to go cheap, a bad monkey will do the job.
If you have a higher budget, a Maxon OD-808 would be perfect.
I like the maxon od... I tried out over 10 Od pedals before I bought the bad monkey. I had enough cash for which ever one I wanted. The guys were nice enough to let me play it on a 6505 just like mine and honestly the 39 dollar bad monkey just impressed me the most. It made a lot of difference to the tone where as some of the other ones I couldn't find much difference. Atleast not enough difference for the price. The Maxon was my second favorite though and I thought it sounded better than the Ibanez ones. That bad monkey just had this saturated feel to it.
Just my opinion on the V30, I just tried one in my valveking and did not like it. It made the distortion muddier and the mids changed the character of the distortion in a bad way. There is nothing wrong with mids, it just had a negative effect on my amp. For the record, I have used vintage 30's in the past and liked them on other amps. I reccomend a speaker that is more clear than the vintage 30 and then use the mid dial on your amp do get mids.

The GT 75 may work or the G12T 100. Perhaps some of the eminence stuff, I always want to try the wizard.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by Lynchworm at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by JLT73

amen it really pisses me off when u get reported for saying something that someone chooses to derive personal defence from. no-one would care if he said that about a line 6 spider.