Hey everyone.

I have two questions. One is a super n00b one and the other is just dumb.

N00b one: What's the different between humbuckers and pickups, if there is any.

Dumb one: Can I put active EMGs in my Ibanez that has passive?

Thanks!
Quote by Maj. Tom
Your skin will grow tough and you will soon have a mighty pimp hand to smite stupid bitches with.

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX2 with EMG 81 and EMG 60a
Crate G-40 or something
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.
humbuckers are 2 single coil pickups put together to reduce hum and they have a different sound. and yes u can put actives in ur ibanez
humbuckers are pickups, just one variety of em. And i thik if u wanted to put actives in your guitar, u would need to also replace the input jack and pots.
Well I can help you out with the first question. A humbucker is a specific type of pickup. To my knowledge, there are only two types of pickups- the humbucker pickup and the single coil pickup. There could be more types, but these are the two most common and widely used to my knowledge. Someone please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. I'm still pretty new to this stuff too.
But the new pots and input jack usually come with the EMGs if you buy from a licensed seller.

EDIT:

This is copied and pasted from SWEETWATER.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------

Electronically speaking, a Single Coil pickup consists of a single coil of wire wrapped around six (in guitar pickups) magnetic poles. While doing a great job of generating a voltage from the string vibration, they also tend to act a little like an antenna, picking up different kinds of EMI (see WFTD archive EMI) fields. As a result, the Single Coil pickup tends to hum quite often, and even quite loudly at times.

The Humbucker style pickup has two coils linked in series out of phase. This configuration causes the two coils to cancel each other out, eliminating or "bucking" the hum while providing an even higher voltage signal from the string vibrations. The result is a much quieter pickup with greater output.

Tonally speaking the Humbucker pickup is characterized as having a fatter, warmer sound as compared to a single coil. A single coil is traditionally considered to have a brighter and cleaner tone quality.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Humbuckers are better for rock and metal.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by rockadoodle
Well I can help you out with the first question. A humbucker is a specific type of pickup. To my knowledge, there are only two types of pickups- the humbucker pickup and the single coil pickup. There could be more types, but these are the two most common and widely used to my knowledge. Someone please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. I'm still pretty new to this stuff too.

p90's are pretty widely used as well.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Hi, how can i instalate the hfs treble pickup? i just wanna know who wires i have to solder in guitar, thanks.
I´m going to put in a gibson lespaul classic.
Last edited by mecanika! at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by mecanika!
Hi, how can i instalate the hfs treble pickup? i just wanna know who wires i have to solder in guitar, thanks.

I'd google for documentation for your pickup or a general pickup installation guide for that (Or check the manufacturers website). The manufacturer should provide a wiring diagram either with the pick-up or online somewhere.

Also, I'd try looking in this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315275

From that thread (and then from the Seymore Duncan website) here's a general guide to installing a pick-up in a les paul:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/installing-pick/
Last edited by -Collapse- at Feb 13, 2008,