What would be a good way to improve the speed of my fingers (fret hand)? I know everybody keeps saying play it slow over and over again but it doesn't seem to work. The thing I'm trying to get this time is this:

e  --------2-----------------------------------------------------
B  -----2-------5--2------2--------------------------------------
G  4^-----------------5------5--4--2-----4--2--------------------
D  -----------------------------------4--------4--2----------p---
A  --------------------------------------------------4--2~-0-----
E  --------------------------------------------------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
well going slow does help, and it takes a while. But keep in mind that the fretting hand is usually more than fast enough. It could be your picking hand holding you back. I suggest you learn all the boxed shapes to scales so you can build up your manual finger dexterity.
Quote by chrisp_5
well going slow does help, and it takes a while. But keep in mind that the fretting hand is usually more than fast enough. It could be your picking hand holding you back. I suggest you learn all the boxed shapes to scales so you can build up your manual finger dexterity.

I can sweep pick a little and my picking hand is pretty fast. Also I can play the easy shapes but most of the time it's the irregular shapes like above that are really hard for me to play fast. Then again, I can't do the picking on "Paradise City" and its hard to get my fingers to the frets because I put them in the first position that comes to mind and often that has me changing positions a lot and actually that might be why I can't play a lot of things but I can't find out how to fix that.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
how many bpm's can you play it at now? and what is your goal?
Quote by chrisp_5
well going slow does help, and it takes a while. But keep in mind that the fretting hand is usually more than fast enough. It could be your picking hand holding you back.

I've only been playing for like two months. I practice every night though... I've noticed that my fretting hand is moving just fine but my picking hand is about half a second behind...

Something that has helped me a ton is focusing on just the pentatonic boxes. I've came up with a practice routine around them to help memorization and speed.

I put them into Guitar Pro and use the speed training option to play along with them.

Helps a ton.
Good Ultimate-Guitar deals:
s.r.v. / Soapboxhero / dbrettw / laxduck / O00Coolzero00O / 1mmpick

Good Harmony-Central deals:

Quicksilver 689 / antiochband / KjStrat / Critter / guillatool1

Good SevenString.org deals:

Guitarmiester / TMM
Quote by creativlogic
I've only been playing for like two months. I practice every night though... I've noticed that my fretting hand is moving just fine but my picking hand is about half a second behind...

Something that has helped me a ton is focusing on just the pentatonic boxes. I've came up with a practice routine around them to help memorization and speed.

I put them into Guitar Pro and use the speed training option to play along with them.

Helps a ton.

I didn't know Guitar Pro had a speed training option... So, how?
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
How do you use the speed training option in Guitar Pro?
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
To get the speed trainer option turned on hit the Loop button on the controller. You'll get the option to increase the speed each time it loops.
Attachments:
Picture 3.png

Guitarmiester / TMM
Oh yeah... I'm running version 5

Guitarmiester / TMM
Have you ever considered learning some riffs from Free Bird? Entirely pentatonic, helps with finger speed (especially the pinky, MAKE SURE TO USE IT) and coordination with picking, and helps with bends. Plus, it's sexy as hell!

Don't try to learn it note per note, per se, just try to learn the main riffs.
Learnnig to play things slow does help, in fact it's the ONLY way to do it, however it sounds like you're expecting things to happen faster than they do. Speed doesn't build over hours or even days - weeks and months, even years, are your timeframe.

Just keep practicing and concentrate on playing things accurately, you'll get there eventually.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com