okay.. I here about effects loops pretty often and I have no idea what they are.. Can anyone help me out here?
a connection on the back of some amps that allows you to add in stompboxes and external effects after the preamp section of the amp.

Edit: it's usually used to add delay and reverb and other effects like that after the amp's distortion.
an effect loop is the order you set your your pedals. It really goes by preference, but there are a few guide lines that you should follow and u can find those some where here at the forums.
But here is an example of my loop (im a bassist): Bass --> Wah --> distortion --> chorus --> Compression pedal --> amp.

hope that helped man
^ I think your talking about order of effects, just got the terms mixed up probably
an fx loop on an amp allows you to run fx after the preamp, but before the poweramp. FX send comes from the preamp, fx return goes back into the poweramp. This allows you to run fx so they don't get shaped by the preamp EQ first. Some fx sound better this way, such as a lot of modulation effects.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
you use modulation effects in the loop. stuff like a wah,delay,chorus etc. thats all loop stuff. it goes after the preamp tube. effects like distortion and EQ's go in fron of the preamp and therefore you just run your cable through them into the input jack on your amp. there should be two inputs on the back of your amp labeled "loop" or "effects send/return"
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by spoonylove90
you use modulation effects in the loop. stuff like a wah,delay,chorus etc. thats all loop stuff. it goes after the preamp tube. effects like distortion and EQ's go in fron of the preamp and therefore you just run your cable through them into the input jack on your amp. there should be two inputs on the back of your amp labeled "loop" or "effects send/return"

wah's don't go in the loop...
Okay that cleared up a ton but I don't have the loop.. I've seen loop pedals though.. Are they the same thing? I feel so dumb..
Looper pedals are pedals that allow you to record a segment of your playing and have it play while you can put additional licks or solos over it.
Yerr but theres also actual loop pedals ^

You can use the loop pedals to switch between amps or pedal boards.

For example

Loop A -> Amp 1
Guitar - >     
                     Loop B -> Amp 2

or

Loop A -> Pedal A -> Amp 1
Guitar - >     
                     Loop B -> Pedal B ->  Amp 1

Loop A/B being the same looper pedal btw. You can just switch between two different signal chains. Or with ABY pedals have them both engaged at the same time.

Doesnt work like an effects loop. The point of an effects loop is to bypass the preamp so your effects dont get distorted as they would putting them before the amp.
I have a few questions regarding effect placement.

Is it acceptable to put a reverb pedal between the speaker output and the speaker itself?

What do you do if your amp doesn't have an FX loop?

Are there any effects you SHOULDN'T put in front of the amp's preamp input?