Is there a way to give the feel that I am playing over a chord even if I am not. For example is there a way I can play in say A minor and make it sound like it even if I am not playing over an A minor chord progression.
Quote by SOAD_freak777
Is there a way to give the feel that I am playing over a chord even if I am not. For example is there a way I can play in say A minor and make it sound like it even if I am not playing over an A minor chord progression.

yes - incorporate the arpeggio. You can play the arp.... or you can play a melody that uses the scale, but revolves around the arpeggio notes. This is if there is NO harmonic background.

if your trying to make it sound like A minor... but you are playing over a totally different chord.... the notes will sound according to how they relate to the chord that you are playing over.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
yes - incorporate the arpeggio. You can play the arp.... or you can play a melody that uses the scale, but revolves around the arpeggio notes. This is if there is NO harmonic background.

if your trying to make it sound like A minor... but you are playing over a totally different chord.... the notes will sound according to how they relate to the chord that you are playing over.

so I was playing a riff and I made sure to stress the 1 b3 5 intervals it would sound like A minor.
Quote by SOAD_freak777
so I was playing a riff and I made sure to stress the 1 b3 5 intervals it would sound like A minor.

Yup, so long is the riff is on its own.
shred is gaudy music
^ nuts beat me to it.

pretty much what guitarmunky says. i recommend using the notes of the chord on the accented beats.