i need a good guitar audition piece im already doing romance its a classical song and i need another song of a contrasting style but i only have till around the 29th to get it ready im not asking for anything too difficult that i cant pull of but something that is impressive nevertheless ive been playing for around three years

suggestions?

Edit: sorry for not being descriptive enough

im auditioning for a summer music program called innerspark at a university
theyre looking for two pieces of contrasting styles i already have romance which is a classical piece
Last edited by Don't Read This at Feb 13, 2008,
What? What instrument is this for? Romantic as in love or Romantic like the period of music?
The medium is the message!
for what? guitar?
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
blues improv?
i need one too
im trying out for a rock band this week

wat r u auditioning for, ts?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
lol @ all the ???z
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Romance isn't specific enough. Romance is a form within classical music. There are hundreds of pieces titled Romance, just as there are tons of pieces titled Concerto, or Rondo, or Sonata. They're all classical forms. It would be more specific if you provided the key that the piece is in and the composer.

By two contrasting style, universities usually mean two contrasting styles within the classical spectrum (Baroque, classical, romantic, 20th century, etc). They could also mean different classical forms. For example, you could do a dance piece, such as a chaconne or a waltz, followed by a caprice or fugue.

Also, classical pieces aren't usually songs, unless they are art songs. A song in its strict definition means a short piece of music that focuses primarily on a vocal melody with instrumental chordal accompaniments. Usually, classical pieces are referred to by their forms.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Romance isn't specific enough. Romance is a form within classical music. There are hundreds of pieces titled Romance, just as there are tons of pieces titled Concerto, or Rondo, or Sonata. They're all classical forms. It would be more specific if you provided the key that the piece is in and the composer.

By two contrasting style, universities usually mean two contrasting styles within the classical spectrum (Baroque, classical, romantic, 20th century, etc). They could also mean different classical forms. For example, you could do a dance piece, such as a chaconne or a waltz, followed by a caprice or fugue.

Also, classical pieces aren't usually songs, unless they are art songs. A song in its strict definition means a short piece of music that focuses primarily on a vocal melody with instrumental chordal accompaniments. Usually, classical pieces are referred to by their forms.

hmm interesting well the song i learned is called romance its in g and the composer is anonymous according to the book i got it off yeah i thought contrasting styles meant like different genres
Quote by Don't Read This
hmm interesting well the song i learned is called romance its in g and the composer is anonymous according to the book i got it off yeah i thought contrasting styles meant like different genres

It could be, but most universities that require 2 contrasting styles usually are referring within the classical spectrum only.

Just learn a simple caprice or minuet. Also, don't call them songs at the audition. You'll look incompetent.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Don't Read This
I know exactly what piece you're talking about.

Anyways, my instructor teaches at both the community college and the university, and she's given me good advice. There are some good pieces I can recommend, but some might be more difficult than Romance. Villa-Lobos etudes are a good start. They range in difficulty, but they aren't the kind of etudes for beginners. 1 is a popular choice, 2 is very risky, and 11 is also a good one. Also, Bach is good to learn (especially a Lute suite), but I would recommend learning the whole suite or sonata, rather than just certain movements.

If you don't want to learn a whole sonata or suite, I would look up Agustin Barrios material. He has a study in Cm that isn't too difficult. "Las Abejas" is a good arpeggio study, but it's really difficult.

My teacher told me "Capricho Árabe" (Francisco Tarrega) is a really good piece for competitions and auditions and it isn't too difficult. However I would work on rest strokes and scales (especially chromatic) before learning it.
Last edited by The Madcap at Feb 13, 2008,
Canibal Corpse- I Cum Blood

Contrasting enough?

If that fails..... PINCH HARMONIC
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by The Madcap
I would recommend learning the whole suite or sonata, rather than just certain movements.

It's not practical to learn a whole suite in auditions. Most auditions only want to hear excerpts and single movements.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not practical to learn a whole suite in auditions. Most auditions only want to hear excerpts and single movements.
I was just recommending it because I hate to learn things incomplete, and I'm always afraid someone will ask me to play a small excerpt of another movement I haven't learned, but I'm just that way.

I've heard it's better for competitions, but I guess I shouldn't have said auditions.