I have some money to burn, about $300. My gear is in my sig. Here is what I am thinking about.

1. Tubes. I would like to replace my stock Marshall tubes with some high quality tubes. (Tung-Sol 12AX7's and Mullard or JJ EL34's) cost is about $220

2. Wah pedal. I have been learning Sweet child o mine and I need a wah for the solo. I don't think there are a lot of songs I will be needing this for, but I know I will want to learn more songs that use it. I was thinking about the Dunlop Slash wah. I know I will not sound like him but I would like a nice quality sound with a true bypass in whatever wah I get. I also know the distortion feature is junk on it, but it is a great sounding pedal. cost about $220 w/dc adapter and inst. cable.

3. Boss ME50 Multi FX. I know the Gt8 offers more but I am not really looking for something that is mostly used for amp modeling. There are some cool tones you can make with this thing. I like the fact it is all knobs, no menus or wheels, just setup like a normal pedal, tweak a knob and go. I know about the delay when switching presets, and I think I am ok with that. This has more pros then cons I think. Plus it has some stuff I would like to get in the future, like noisegate sustainer, volume pedal, presets. But the biggest thing I want this for is just to try out all the distortions and OD's on my amp. cost about $220 on E-Bay w/dc adapter.

Now I know the multi fx aren't going to sound like having 30 good pedals but there are so many good sound you can get.

I am going to replace my tubes sooner then later anyways so they are a definitely getting changed. I just don't know if I should do them now.

I don't know if I should get the Slash wah, and then maybe pick up some other pedals.

Please help. So confused and I am prob going to blow this money this weekend. What do you guys think.
Tubes first, then worry about the others.
I would recommend not getting the slash wah, it seemed great to me cause its slash and he knows good sound, but its really disappointing and just not versatile enough.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Thanks guys.

The good thing about the multi fx is if I get it ion a store I have 30 days to try it out and make sure I will like it with my gear. If I get it off E-Bay and don't like it I can re sell it for no loss.

The wah, like I said I don't think I will be using it a lot, at least not right now, I really want it so I can finish learning my song.

Do you think I will notice a difference in tone with upgrading my tubes??

Thanks again guys.
tubes
535Q
G Major - rack effects w/ Midi mate footswitch
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
How do you like the 535? I heard it wasn't that good. Will it handle high gain well? I was looking for something with a true bypass, but I am not sure how much I will be using it so it might not matter that much.

Thanks.
I love my 535Q. I play everything from blues to country to rock to metal. It does everything very good! It takes gain really well.

I don't think it is true bypass, but that really doesn't matter to me.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
your all wrong... blow all 300 on picks..

i tried the 535q and thought it was amazing. i have bought one but music toyz doesnt like shipping to me so ive been wating for it for over a month. i would suggest NOT getting it from music toyz
Last edited by no_thing101 at Feb 14, 2008,
You know a lot of people say amp modeling is crap on a tube amp but I disagree. On the clean channel on my 5150 I use an ac-30 amp model and it sounds just like one. People are always complaining about the clean channel but my clean channel sounds awesome because of that. of course I don't use amp models on my lead channel because I have a 5150 duh! lol
Quote by ninja23
How do you like the 535? I heard it wasn't that good. Will it handle high gain well? I was looking for something with a true bypass, but I am not sure how much I will be using it so it might not matter that much.

Thanks.

Dimebag used it til he got his own made for him, and if dime used it you know it handles gain well.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Tubes
Dime wah (535q that handles gain better)
FX pedals (don't go multi effects as its a waste of money in the long run)
Thanks for the replys guys.

Quote by stangconv
How many tubes does your amp have that it will cost $220?

That seems high to me.

4 pre amp. I am going with the tung-sol gold. $28 a piece plus $5 for matched sections per tube.
4 power. I was going with mullard. $40 for a matched pair X2
Plus shipping $220

I have been looking more into the 535Q. The only thing I don't like is it's not a true bypass. I don't want to have to unplug it when I'm not using it to get my Marshall tone back. I don't want to come off like an a$$ about tone, but The slash one has a true bypass and the 535Q you can tune it to the wah you want.

What are my alternatives as far as a wah that has a true bypass and setting to allow tuning?

Thanks again guys.
Quote by ninja23
Thanks for the replys guys.

4 pre amp. I am going with the tung-sol gold. $28 a piece plus $5 for matched sections per tube.
4 power. I was going with mullard. $40 for a matched pair X2
Plus shipping $220

I have been looking more into the 535Q. The only thing I don't like is it's not a true bypass. I don't want to have to unplug it when I'm not using it to get my Marshall tone back. I don't want to come off like an a$$ about tone, but The slash one has a true bypass and the 535Q you can tune it to the wah you want.

What are my alternatives as far as a wah that has a true bypass and setting to allow tuning?

Thanks again guys.

you really won't notice the 535 cutting any tone.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I think I might try the 535Q. I will have 30 days to try it and bring it back, so nothing to loose right?

I am just curious, how come everyone thinks I should do tubes first? Will I really notice a difference going from stock tubes to good ones? I mean I am going to do them anyways, just wondering.
hmm.. you should just send some $$ to me and all these other fine gentlemen.
Quote by ninja23
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I think I might try the 535Q. I will have 30 days to try it and bring it back, so nothing to loose right?

I am just curious, how come everyone thinks I should do tubes first? Will I really notice a difference going from stock tubes to good ones? I mean I am going to do them anyways, just wondering.

If its guitar center they're gonna make you pay a restocking fee unless its in 100% condition and the back hasn't been opened.
I have tried out pedals before and returned them with no restocking fee. My guitar guy is good. I am slowly making him rich with commission.

I am going to get the adapter for it, so I have no need to open it up anyway. Thanks for the heads up though. I might go tomorrow if I am sure thats what I want.
^^alright, my friend was charged a restocking fee for opening the battery compartment of his DD-20 once so I figured I'd let you know
I appreciate the warning. I know some times some people will. I bought a Boss DD-6 opened up the battery and installed it, then brought it back about a week and a half later and told them I didn't like the tone, they gave me a full refund.

On another note, I am having last minute thoughts about getting my tubes instead. I guess I just had a bad night of playing and feel I should practice what I know more before buying a wah and learning more stuff.
Just a update, I got a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q today. I like it a lot. It handles gain very very good. The settings on it really let you tune it to what you want. And as far a not having a true bypass goes. There is hardly any change in tone when this thing is plugged in and bypassed.

So thanks to all for the help.

JLT73- Thanks for talking me into this instead of the slash one. I played on it today and after playing the 535Q and changing settings around I think I can get better tones.

P.S. I love setting the wah to the low bass freq. It's not something you hear a lot and it sounds good.
Get an extra set of power tubes, and a wah. Preamp tubes last much longer than power tubes, and tend to burn out one-at-a time, rather than all at once.

Edit: Oops. Good wah choice, man.