Hey all,

Some of you might remember my thread about the ESP and Jackson...well both of that got scraped.../ The ESP is potentially fake, and the Jackson is missing that neck pup, and I am still not particularly fond of that V shape.

The good news is, my budget increased quite a bit, so I've taken a look at some more expensive models.

I have a JEM7WH, and well...it plays like a gem. It is THE lead guitar for me. The tone from the DiMarzios is awesome, and the playability is second to none.

I've been looking at an Ernie Ball JP6 w/ piezo for about $1300ish. The feedback seems pretty positive from a lot of people, and aside from its looks (which I don't think are that bad), it seems pretty good.

But I was thinking it might be redundant tone-wise, to get the JP6, if I already have a JEM. What do you think?

There is also a PRS Standard 22 that is around the same price. I've heard good things about these but it probably can't do metal...I'm hoping to get a more smooth, classier tone out of it I guess. This one's got a Duncan JB in the bridge. Good it be a good value for the money, at least? (1300 bucks)
PRS guitars can do everything - just take a look at bands like Opeth, where they combine clean/heavily distorted passages. The JP6 and JEM won't be TOO redundant tone-wise, and the piezo system is always a nice addition if you plan on using it. If I had to choose, I'd go for the PRS, just because they're REALLY versatile tone-wise, and I don't have a need for piezos.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I've played both guitars and they are amazing, but personally I'd get the JP. The piezos are amazing, the playability is and the tone is as well; but seeing how you have a JEM already it might not be worth it so much. If I was in your situation I'd prolly get the PRS, because they are also amazing guitars and you can get a different range of tones out of them.

Do you know if the JP has the D-Sonics in them or the older Steve's special? If it has the D-Sonic in them it is very good for metal and dropped tunings.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
PRS is known for versatility, The Music man is a great guitar, the piezo makes it really versatile, you get to blend in acoustic tone with the electric tone. The JEM, I just don't know. I would take the PRS or the music man over it any day. JUSt because of the tremolo, I'm not a fan
Quote by sum_ugly_man
PRS is known for versatility, The Music man is a great guitar, the piezo makes it really versatile, you get to blend in acoustic tone with the electric tone. The JEM, I just don't know. I would take the PRS or the music man over it any day. JUSt because of the tremolo, I'm not a fan

... He already has the JEM, so it's down to the PRS or the Music Man.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Prs
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Canne
Do you know if the JP has the D-Sonics in them or the older Steve's special? If it has the D-Sonic in them it is very good for metal and dropped tunings.

It has D-Sonic. So would it be good for thrash? The reason I'm looking for another guitar is because JEM pickups are hot, but they lack the metal punch....
I suppose the versatility of the PRS won't encompass thrash stuff, but it's not what I'm expecting anyways. But would it be at least decent?

Thrash stuff like Megadeth and Testament is what I would play.

I guess I would choose depending on HOW versatile the PRS is, and HOW MUCH different the JP is from the JEM and HOW well it would handle thrash riffs.

...Decisions!
prs, although ive never actually played the jp6.

go with the wide-thin neck on the prs...like ****in butter haha

edit: i saw you said that you play thrash, maybe you should look at the standard 24 because they have the hotter ceramic hfs pickup at the bridge
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Last edited by bigreno at Feb 13, 2008,
The standard 24 is not an option...unfortunately :/

On one hand, the PRS would be more tonally diverse, and will be very different from my JEM.
On the other hand, assuming that the D-Sonic is good for thrash, it would give the sound that I'm looking for, and the piezo is obviously a nice touch.

Grrr....any other input? (probably not the most active time of the forums but what the hell).
Quote by ZylitoL
The standard 24 is not an option...unfortunately :/

On one hand, the PRS would be more tonally diverse, and will be very different from my JEM.
On the other hand, assuming that the D-Sonic is good for thrash, it would give the sound that I'm looking for, and the piezo is obviously a nice touch.

Grrr....any other input? (probably not the most active time of the forums but what the hell).

I'm not exactly sure how good exactly it is for trash, but it's very good for metal in general (heavy riffs etc), but it's also very good for leads. You can go to www.dimarzio.com and listen to some clips recorded with the D-Sonic.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...