i am writing a scene for my playwriting class and i want it to center around a conversation between a man and a priest in a catholic confession booth. and seeing as im not catholic, and have never done a catholic confession, i need some help making the dialoge and stage directions more realistic. so anyone that has ever gone through a catholic confession before, if they could help me out it would be appreciated.

so my questions are,
what would the man refer to the priest as (would it be father, or father and the last name)

what would the priest refer to the man as (would he say something like my son, and what would the priest refer to a woman as)

when, if at anytime, would the priest or the man confessing cross themselves (like right before or right after etc.)

during the confession, what does the priest say (do they reprimand the confessor, do they quote scripture, do they try to make them feel better, etc.)

and what does the priest say at the end? (like does he say your sins are forgiven, try harder to do better next time, etc.)
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
The priest pretty much just says "Tell me your sins" then the person tells them then they "absolve" you (i think it's called absolve) then at the end he tells you to do prayers, like 10 hail mary's and 10 our father's.

Now I think: Why the hell have I remembered this? I'm a follower of FSM!
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Um, it's been many years since I've been to confession (renounced my faith a few years back) but from what I can remember at my church...

I'd cross myself before I went in, then go into the booth, sit down, and say 'Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been ____ days/weeks/months/years since my last confession.'

Then the priest would say something, and ask me to confess my sins. I'm pretty sure he'd refer to me as 'son'.

So, I would list my sins (e.g. 'I swore at my friend, I hit my brother' etc).

I think the priest would then say a prayer to his god, and then he'd give me a penance, which is basically prayers. For example, he'd ask me to say three 'Hail Mary's or whatever. Then I'd leave, and I'd go to one of the benches and say my prayers, then leave.

Sorry it's so sketchy, but it's been about a decade since I last said confession. I think there's more talk between the priest and the son/daughter, and I think they maybe both say a prayer together, but I can't remember exactly.
so my questions are,
what would the man refer to the priest as (would it be father, or father and the last name)

Either or will work.

what would the priest refer to the man as (would he say something like my son, and what would the priest refer to a woman as)

The priest might not refer to them as anything.

when, if at anytime, would the priest or the man confessing cross themselves (like right before or right after etc.)

They don't have to, but there is such a thing as face to face confession.

during the confession, what does the priest say (do they reprimand the confessor, do they quote scripture, do they try to make them feel better, etc.)

The priest just listens and doesn't say too much of anything, but it's nothing like reprimanding.

and what does the priest say at the end? (like does he say your sins are forgiven, try harder to do better next time, etc.)

He tells you to recite prayers for forgiveness.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
just "father" would be better. thats more dramatic

have the priest call them "my child" that works both ways

next one is kinda tricky. the confessOR crosses themself when they see the priest. the priest then does this thing where they put there hand up to the middle of their face like theyre gonna karate chop you

the priest shouldnt talk too much, they are there to listen. afterwards they may quote a scripture that relates to the topic, but at the same time are somewhat comforting

yeah, at the end he basically says, that the person is forgiven

im not catholic and i have some personal issues on the subject, but this is how it would go
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
i am writing a scene for my playwriting class and i want it to center around a conversation between a man and a priest in a catholic confession booth. and seeing as im not catholic, and have never done a catholic confession, i need some help making the dialoge and stage directions more realistic. so anyone that has ever gone through a catholic confession before, if they could help me out it would be appreciated.

so my questions are,

Priest is referred to as father.

Man is not implicated, he is only 'you' since confession is anonymous.

Cross themselves? You mean the sign of faith? The man would do that right when he gets in there. "Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been ___ days since my last confession. These are my sins. (List sins)"

The priest comments on the man's confession, giving him spiritual guidance. Yes, he may quote scripture.

At the end the priest will give the man a task as penance. For example: You should call your mother, and tell her you are sorry. Say an our father before bed tonight. **** like that.

The man will say thank you father, and leave.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Usually it's anonymous, and it's like a veil b/w priest and confessor, so you don't really know who your confessing too unless it's like a church like mine w/ 2 priests.
But sometimes it can be a priest from another diocese.

I would call him father or monseigneur.
Usually the priest would address you as 'my son' or 'my child.'
It usually goes like:
Person sits down, priest may open with prayer, and sign themself before and after, then ask your sins, and guide you through it with wisdom and whatnot with bible quotes and gospel stuff.
Then at the end your asked to do penance, which is physically praying to god for forgiveness, usually in the form of a set of prayers. Like a few hail marys, a couple our fathers and a nicene creed or act of contrition.
what would the man refer to the priest as (would it be father, or father and the last name) Father

what would the priest refer to the man as (would he say something like my son, and what would the priest refer to a woman as) Anything

when, if at anytime, would the priest or the man confessing cross themselves (like right before or right after etc.) At the start and at the end right after the absolution.

during the confession, what does the priest say (do they reprimand the confessor, do they quote scripture, do they try to make them feel better, etc.) Whatever they feel like.

and what does the priest say at the end? (like does he say your sins are forgiven, try harder to do better next time, etc.) Prayer of Absolution.

A whole confession would look like this:

P = Priest, C = Confessor

P: Good Evening
C: Good Evening, Father
P,C: [Sign of the cross]
C: Bless me father for I have sinned. It has been ___ weeks since my last confession. C: These are my sins:
C: Blablabla
C: For these and for the sins of my whole life, I am very sorry.
P: [Offers moral advice and advices from scripture]
P: I would like you to say ten "Our Fathers" for your penance.
C: O my God, I am heartily sorry
for having offended Thee,
and I detest all my sins,
because of thy just punishment,
but most of all because they
offend Thee, my God,
Who are all-good and deserving
of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help
of Thy grace to confess my sins,
to do penance
and to amend my life. Amen.
P: God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
C: Thank you, father.
IIIIIII
it pretty much goes like this. i copied this from somewhere else, but ive been through it, and this is pretty accurate.

+ Get yourself ready by making your examination of conscience.

You enter the confessional. You can choose to talk to the priest face to face or anonymously behind a screen.

+ After the priest greets you with the Sign of the Cross make the Sign of the Cross and say: “Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been (say how long) since my last confession. These are my sins…”

+ Tell your sins simply and honestly to the priest. Don’t be embarrassed.

+ When you are done listing your sins please say: “…I am sorry for these sins and all the sins I can’t remember.”

+ Listen to the advice the priest gives you and accept the penance from him. Then make an Act of Contrition for your sins:

My God,
I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong
And failing to do good,
I have sinned against you
whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help,
to do penance,
to sin no more,
and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Amen.

+ The priest will then conclude with the words: “Your sins are truly forgiven, Go in Peace”. You respond: “Thanks be to God.”

+ Perform your penance as soon as possible.

Penance usually consists of saying some prayers like the hail mary or our father.
Quote by Muphin

Man is not implicated, he is only 'you' since confession is anonymous.

Actually, yeah, pretty sure you're right about that.

I'm guessing the scene that's gonna be written is gonna have a dark, sombre tone. Confession used to creep me out slightly.

Oh, and you might already know, but everything the priest is told in confession is confidential.
Quote by synopsize
what would the man refer to the priest as (would it be father, or father and the last name) Father

what would the priest refer to the man as (would he say something like my son, and what would the priest refer to a woman as) Anything

when, if at anytime, would the priest or the man confessing cross themselves (like right before or right after etc.) At the start and at the end right after the absolution.

during the confession, what does the priest say (do they reprimand the confessor, do they quote scripture, do they try to make them feel better, etc.) Whatever they feel like.

and what does the priest say at the end? (like does he say your sins are forgiven, try harder to do better next time, etc.) Prayer of Absolution.

C: Bless me father for I have sinned. It has been ___ weeks since my last confession. C: These are my sins:
offend Thee, my God,
of all my love.
to do penance
P: God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

This is EXACTLY what happens.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by _deeperthewound
Actually, yeah, pretty sure you're right about that.

I'm guessing the scene that's gonna be written is gonna have a dark, sombre tone. Confession used to creep me out slightly.

Oh, and you might already know, but everything the priest is told in confession is confidential.

which must make a priest's conscience black as hell knowing all these horrible sins, I couldnt sit there and listen to that,

ever think that one day he'll be drinkin one night and gets alittle tipsy and starts telling his favorite sins like jokes... cause priest can drink if you didnt know

and BTW ur sig is the SH!T
Quote by MyImmortal
Don't forget to have the priests little boy sex slave pop out of the booth.

oh my god, the catholic priest sexual abuse joke! how original! you are so funny!

Quote by synopsize

offend Thee, my God,
of all my love.
to do penance

That's it, except I've never seen that part before. Usually it's
"For these and all my sins, I ask forgiveness, Father, please."
Quote by NightEmbers
which must make a priest's conscience black as hell knowing all these horrible sins, I couldnt sit there and listen to that,

ever think that one day he'll be drinkin one night and gets alittle tipsy and starts telling his favorite sins like jokes... cause priest can drink if you didnt know

and BTW ur sig is the SH!T

Haha, cheers.

I do wonder how priests can cope with it all. They obviously have tremendous willpower.

Oh, and yeah, I knew they could drink - the priest at my neighborhood's church got really drunk at my cousin's wedding and made this huge speech about nothing in particular...
Last edited by _deeperthewound at Feb 13, 2008,