I just put an Ibanez SZ520QM on layaway. http://theguitarreview.com/2007/02/ibanez-sz520qm-sz520-electric-guitar.html
It was on clearance - $350 (marked down from $520 I think). I only tried it out once, and my mind had been preoccupied with the Ibanez RG3EXQM, but I see the price just shot up on those, and that was the deciding factor.

Overall build quality of the SZ520 seems great. This will be my first electric guitar. What do you think, did I make the right choice? Any other SZ520 owners out there? How do you like yours?

d-axenut
Last edited by axenut at Mar 15, 2008,
I have played one before and they are great guitar, especially for that money! The pick ups aren't all that bad (I believe they are Duncan/Ibz, right?). You'll be happy with it.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by Canne
I have played one before and they are great guitar, especially for that money! The pick ups aren't all that bad (I believe they are Duncan/Ibz, right?). You'll be happy with it.

Yep, they are Duncan/Ibz pick-ups. The next 30 days will be excruciating, that's how long it will be before I have the rest of the cash in hand, and take it home.

d-axenut
Quote by lp_dude_2
i love both my SZ's, nice choice on picking up a great guitar that was unfourtnally discountinued

I think I was incorrect in stating it was discontinued, it was only certain colors.

d-axenut
The SZR is the new SZ. I have no idea what the difference is. Either way, you made a good choice. The SZ is great guitar.
im guessing you moved from acoustic to electric? why get an ibanez after playing acoustic?

the neck is gonna feel really weird. unless of course you played an ibanez acoustic (my cousin has one and the neck is wafer-like just like all other ibanez guitars)

sorry if i offend any of you ibanez lovers, i just like a little bit hefftier guitar (look at my profile for an idea )
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I have a 320 and it's great. I think you'll like it, assuming you like that kind of neck.
Quote by Jason43
The SZR is the new SZ. I have no idea what the difference is. Either way, you made a good choice. The SZ is great guitar.

Neck: SZR set-in neck
Neck Type: SZR set-in neck
Body: Mahogany/Flamed Maple top
Frets: 22 Medium frets
Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
Inlay: Pearl Dot
Bridge: Gibraltar III bridge
NeckPU: Ibanez NeoZ-N neck pu
BridgePU: Ibanez NeoZ-B bridge pu
HW Color: CH

new neck shape, new pups, made in china, No flames, Awesome colors
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by axenut
I think I was incorrect in stating it was discontinued, it was only certain colors.

d-axenut

Apparently I was correct the first time, the SZ is gone replaced by the "upgraded" SZR series, according to the Ibanez website.

d-axenut
Quote by isan
Neck: SZR set-in neck
Neck Type: SZR set-in neck
Body: Mahogany/Flamed Maple top
Frets: 22 Medium frets
Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
Inlay: Pearl Dot
Bridge: Gibraltar III bridge
NeckPU: Ibanez NeoZ-N neck pu
BridgePU: Ibanez NeoZ-B bridge pu
HW Color: CH

new neck shape, new pups, made in china, No flames, Awesome colors

I'm glad to get the SZ, I prefer the look with the flame inlay, however, I have no idea if the pickups in the SZR are better, so I'll hold off on comments regarding that feature.

d-axenut
Quote by p o e
im guessing you moved from acoustic to electric? why get an ibanez after playing acoustic?

the neck is gonna feel really weird. unless of course you played an ibanez acoustic (my cousin has one and the neck is wafer-like just like all other ibanez guitars)

sorry if i offend any of you ibanez lovers, i just like a little bit hefftier guitar (look at my profile for an idea )

I don't care for the neck on my acoustic, so that shouldn't be an issue. In fact I like the even thinner RG neck, but overall prefer the SZ.

d-axenut
Buy it ASAP!

As people have mentioned the SZR is replacing the SZ. The SZR is by no means bad. this one looks great:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html

But in general I prefer the shape of the SZ and the pickups are prob better too.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
im actually pissed that the SZ got replaced. there was not a damn thing wrong with it, and new SZR's look like someone put a SZ in the microwave and it melted and molded a bit, just doesnt look natural. and the scale was the best part, it just felt right. why did they have to change it?
I just picked her up last night, here she is, my 1st electric guitar:

Let me know what you think of her. Plays decent, some fret buzz and the actions a little high, but I'm going to put some new strings on her and then tweak her to my preferences.

d-axenut
Quote by lp_dude_2
im actually pissed that the SZ got replaced. there was not a damn thing wrong with it, and new SZR's look like someone put a SZ in the microwave and it melted and molded a bit, just doesnt look natural. and the scale was the best part, it just felt right. why did they have to change it?
Agreed. It looks ugly now. The SZ was a good looking guitar.
the SZs are probably the one good model ibanez makes, but they are pretty damn good. very versitle and great for the price.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
very nice guitar exactly the same as mine, they did stop making the quilted maple tops a few years back and just left the flame top ones in production but now they have scrapped them all together for the szr which is only slightly different because it has neodynium magnet pickups in, apparently they are more powerful, good choice though you wont regret it!
Guitars-
krozka-sharpe raider session 'revo'
ibanez s520ex with SD TB-10 full shred bridge
ibanez sz520qm
epiphone les paul custom
epiphone EJ200

Amp-
Orange tiny terror with PPC112 cab
very nice. the golden honey burst, or what ever wierd name Ibanez gave it, looks so beautiful in person. i saw one that had creme rings and black and creme zebra duncans in it, looked amazing!