i wouldnt call my self a noob at guitar... i've been practicing for a few years... probably won't sound like it based on this post...i'm very basic. so far i've just practiced on a basic squier and a basic fender amp. i have a distortion pedal and a wah pedal, but that's about as far as my equipment knowledge goes. before i go out buying a whole bunch of new stuff for my guitar, i want to know what i'm getting into. i wanna save out on buying the more expensive stuff (a new guitar and amp) for when i actually have the money.

okay, so here are the questions. providing links will be great if you dont feel like typing everything... the help is much appreciated.

and oh yeah, this isn't a "which brand should i get" or "which ____ is the best?" question. this is trying to help me gain knowledge on the equipment.

first of all: what are the pedals and equipment (again, not brand names) you think every guitar player should invest in? what will allow me to get the highest function out of my guitar?

Tubes: what are they? i had never heard of them until coming onto these forums... what is their function and what do they have to do with the amp?

Tremolo arm: do these only come on really expensive guitars? is there a way to get the same effect without the arm? is there something else i should know about these things (considering i've never played with/owned one)

pickups: what do they really do to affect the sound of my guitar? are they worth replacing? what will a really good pickup do vs. a not-so-good-one?

and kind of on a sidenote... how will buying a more expensive guitar help me? does it only effect the sound or does it make playing easier as well? is the sound difference noticeable?

and same with the amp...

i think that covers everything i wanted to know... sorry it's a lot. lol. thanks for the help and if there's anything else you think i should know please dont hesitate.

gracias
Quote by 06CardsChamps
i wouldnt call my self a noob at guitar... i've been practicing for a few years... probably won't sound like it based on this post...i'm very basic. so far i've just practiced on a basic squier and a basic fender amp. i have a distortion pedal and a wah pedal, but that's about as far as my equipment knowledge goes. before i go out buying a whole bunch of new stuff for my guitar, i want to know what i'm getting into. i wanna save out on buying the more expensive stuff (a new guitar and amp) for when i actually have the money.

okay, so here are the questions. providing links will be great if you dont feel like typing everything... the help is much appreciated.

and oh yeah, this isn't a "which brand should i get" or "which ____ is the best?" question. this is trying to help me gain knowledge on the equipment.

first of all: what are the pedals and equipment (again, not brand names) you think every guitar player should invest in? what will allow me to get the highest function out of my guitar?

Can't help you here, sorry.

Tubes: what are they? i had never heard of them until coming onto these forums... what is their function and what do they have to do with the amp?

A "tube" amp uses a tube somehow to enhance the sound. I can't tell you scientifically, but they have awesome tone, as well as being much more fragile than a normal amp.

Tremolo arm: do these only come on really expensive guitars? is there a way to get the same effect without the arm? is there something else i should know about these things (considering i've never played with/owned one)

A tremolo arm can be installed on any guitar custom. Basically what it does, when you push the bar, it bends/stretches the strings for the whammy effect, but also adds the tremolo sound you hear. I could be wrong here. They are a lot of fun to play with, but if you get one, invest in a good one.

pickups: what do they really do to affect the sound of my guitar? are they worth replacing? what will a really good pickup do vs. a not-so-good-one?

You have two basic pickups-single coil and humbucker. For blues, punk, and softer styles, single coils are better, as they give a clearer sound. Humbucker pickups are much heavier and muddier, and sound much better with rock or metal styles.

and kind of on a sidenote... how will buying a more expensive guitar help me? does it only effect the sound or does it make playing easier as well? is the sound difference noticeable?

Really, buying a good guitar will net you longevity. The sound comes 90 percent from your amp, not your guitar. It won't help you play, but some models are built better than others, especially important on an acoustic. On an electric, the same, and also what extras you want-whammy bar, pickups, ect.

and same with the amp...

i think that covers everything i wanted to know... sorry it's a lot. lol. thanks for the help and if there's anything else you think i should know please dont hesitate.

gracias

Hope I could help
the tremolo arm is a common feature on certain styles of guitar, of any price. there are a few different ones; floating, bigsby, floyd rose etc. they knock your strings out of tune, but you can use NECK BENDS to replicate the effect easily.. everyone else kill off one topic each and we'll be good.

oh and search for tubes, there is a big sticky on it. same with pickups, otherwise you need to know whhat style you want to pick guitars and pedals/amps.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
i think an essentian pedal for everyone is a wah, opens up alot of doors stylistically.
a tremolo arm is on alot of guitars, but i think what you mean is a floyd rose. They're usually on high end guitars, but Ibanez have their own one, but strats and the like have trem's but they're much simpler and the capabilities are limited.
with the pickups, good pickups will make your sound alot better. single coils for more vintage or blues sounds, humbuckers for stuff like rock and metal. generally.
a really good guitar will last you your whole life, but having a good amp is what i find is more important, a cheap guitar will sound good with a good guitar rather than a expensive guitar with a cheap amp.

i just answered and re-iterated what the other guy did.
xD made me laugh. OK Tubes are in amps, they amplify the sound better than you solid state amps.. um.. I'm not very technical but Tubes are warmer, fuller sounding and usually sound louder to your ears, say...15 watts tube sounds like 45 watts solid state.

Solid state amps run on a circuit which is why you can have effects built into amps. It is cheaper to make, but if the volume is pushed too high, the amp gives a lot of feedback. Solid states are usually cheaper than tube amps, but sound worse.

distortion, overdrive, delay, reverb,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube

there are 2 basic kinds of tremolo arms, locking and non locking, the first one it's the one used in guitars like stratocasters, and they are used for vibratos and pitch changes

on the other side, locking tremolos, are used for more abuse and huge pitch changes. they don't go out of tune cause they have locks

they come in both c heap and expensive guitars, of course, the bridges in the cheaper one have less quality

yes they do, some of them have higher mids, highs or lows, some others are hotter, which means they get distorted way more easy, this hotness difference is used to achieve different tones

there's many advanges, a new guitar has less flaws than an old worn down one, if it's expensive, they'll have more quality than an average guitar, of course, most quality in your sound comes from your fingers and your amp

and same with the amp...
sorry for posting again forgot to answer one more

for pedals it all depends on what kind of sound you want like if you want a chorus pedal, if you want more distortion than your amp can offer then a distortion or a wah if you want one, all just preference. but something like a tuner would be something that would be good to own
if that wasnt good information someone else will probably point out anything wrong with that
hope that helped
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Pretty much standard pedals- Distortion, Wah, maybe a chorus or phaser
Tubes have to do with the production of sound in the amp, they sound warmer than silicone diode rectifiers. Silicon Diodes are known as solid state.
If you guitar has a bridge with a slot for a tremolo arm (actually a Vibrato arm, as vibrato is change in pitch, tremolo is a change of volume) I will usually come with one. A Digitech Whammy pedal can imitate the effect.
Pickups are what make the sound on your guitar. If your guitar is low budget, it can be worth it to replace them. Different ones have different outputs so they sound louder, some have different tonal characteristics. Some guitars will be set up better than others, so they will be easier to play. Guitars with different woods and pickups will sound different. The sound difference differs on how far apart the guitars are quality wise.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
thanks for the help guys.

for the tremolo arm: i can buy one and have it installed on my guitar? what are the price ranges?
Tubes have to do with the production of sound in the amp, they sound warmer than silicone diode rectifiers. Silicon Diodes are known as solid state.

HUH??? That's just wrong. Diode rectifiers have been used in tube amps since the 60's, it's transistors that replace tubes in solid state amps, not diode rectifiers. Tubes are also used as rectifiers, the rectifier has little effect on overall sound, diode rectifiers don't take time to warm up like tubes and operate on higher voltage. Transistor based amps are known as solid state.

Transistors are used in solid state amps to do the same job tubes do, and they don't do it as well, for the most part. Tubes/transistors are the main components that actually do the amplifying. The rest of the circuit matters greatly of course, shapes the tone and gain levels, then the tube/transistor amplifies the signal and sends it to the output transformer then to the speakers. Tubes seem to sound better because they have a smooth distortion while transistors clip. Clipping is harsh and irritating, and is the main problem amp designers have had getting them to sound as good as tubes. Clean at low volumes, solid state amps sound decent, although they don't have the character tubes do, but cranked up loud they start to clip, which sounds bad. Tubes sound better the louder you crank the amp, transistors sound worse.

Pedals: Distortion, overdrive, chorus/flanger/phase shifter, delay.

Pickups: Do affect the sound and tone, but the amp has much greater affect. I don't bother swapping pickups unless threy are really weak and wimpy. Both single coils and humbuckers are used for every style of music you can think of, neither is specific to any certain genre.

Tremolo arm: I play guitars with and without, I like to use them sometimes, but for slide and open tunings I prefer no tremolo. The tremolo is spring loaded so it can change the tension of the strings and therefore change the pitch. Gennerally pushing it down lowers the pitch, pulling up raises it. Bouncing it up and down creates a vibrato affect that sounds different than the vibrato done with the fingers. (David Gilmour uses both a lot) DO NOT do neck bends, it damages the guitar. Especially a bolt on neck, it loosens the screws and can break it off if you get too heavy handed.

Expensive/inexpensive guitar: The guitar you want is the one that plays and sounds good to YOU. Price tag is a secondary consideration. I have a cheap 15-20 year old Squier strat that plays and sounds better than most new american strats I see in music stores. I've also seen $300 guitars that play and sound better than $2000 Gibsons...it all depends on what plays and sounds good to you.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by 06CardsChamps
thanks for the help guys.

for the tremolo arm: i can buy one and have it installed on my guitar? what are the price ranges?

the tremolo arm is just part of it - the tremolo unit is the entire bridge - to replace a fixed bridge involves replacing the existing bridge with a suitable trem and usually routing a big hole out of the guitar to accomodate the sustain block and springs. It's not even worth considering on cheaper guitars as the resulting outlay will be more than the cost of a new guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
neck bends are fine, silly, just don't do mor than a half step either way.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered