Questions for the recording gods...

I just picked up a recording setup for the house and its sounding really good and im getting exact tone out of it amp wise. But im getting alot of the excess noise that used to be drowned out by the cab. But now its really apparent when recording...

Heres the noise's im hearing, well recording. Pick noise when chording and single noteing mainly during palm mutes. Also the sound of my fingers racking across the strings for slides and scratching sounds when palm muting and playing metal. Is it just bad techinque or is there a way to edit them, or maybe my settings on the amp inherently bring that out? Also would different mic positions help? In live situtations i dont hear but maybe a 1/10th of that and only if im listening.

Thanks..
well sounds like bad technique to me but im no recording god -_-. i think a further mic position would be better and turn up your level on the mic or amp. in my recording program i can choose to edit out something specific from the entire song by providing a sound clip of what the sound is (ie. finger slides, hum, racking, etc like u said). i have never tried it but im guessing your program is better than mine and might do well at stuff like that.

thats a good thing to tell us, what program are you using? i use the freeware audacity :P.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
yeah, recording will bring all that stuff out, real pita. Gotta adjust your EQ and technique for it. I haven't found anything that helps other than compensating for it. I'm no recording god though, so if you do find something that gets rid of all that, make sure you share!
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks guys... I appreciate the help

The program im using now is Kristal on all my laptop mic recordings i used Audacity. I might have to look over the audactiy stuff again.... I've demoed the crazy stuff and havent figured out what im going to go with yet there all pretty complicated for just home recording. More then likely im goint to go with Reaper, the program looked and sounded amazing and i got a few good recording tips from some of there tutorials.

Moving the mic about 3 inchs from the grill cloth did improve it but its still there. Its pretty cool in a way though i can really hear my mistakes now which is one reason i got the setup. But some of the stuff just cant be helped..

And didnt have enough time last night to really get into the eq part of it, ill have to give that a try and work on my technique like ya said. Ohhh well ya gotta start somewere lol Atleast i got a good tone going so far... Might have some time tonight to test out the audacity thing after i setup and install a pickup for a guy and ill report back with my findings...
THe sound that comes out of the amp is rarely the sound that you playback later on. Roll off the gain and things like that, most of the time, you'll need less than what you usually do for recording.

You might be playing too hard, if the mic is picking up those sounds.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I always thought it was cool when I was younger and would listen to hear an acoustic song and hear their fingers sliding down the fretboard when they switched chords. I don't see anything wrong with this.
*moved to R&R*

while the two biggest things to work on are EQ and playing technique, there are a couple other things you can do. as said by Rein, turn the gain down a bit. then if you are serious about recording something, you can take off the strings you dont use for that song. Angus Young has done this and either he or the sound engineer (dont remember which it was) said that it got rid of a lot of unwanted string noise. most of us cant afford to keep tons of strings on hand for this though. you may also want to try putting a second mic further away from your amp. will give you a more balanced sound and blending the mics may help you get rid of that sound.
Quote by paranormal5150
I always thought it was cool when I was younger and would listen to hear an acoustic song and hear their fingers sliding down the fretboard when they switched chords. I don't see anything wrong with this.

and some still do this, Jack Johnson for example.
I believe using both the MXL 990 and 991 on an acoustic guitar will give this sound in the final take.

As for the TS problem...
Stand far away from the mic when playing and turn down the distortion a little bit.
EQ and technique as stated already are huge things to look out for and correct.

It would be helpful to know what hardware and software you are running.
If you have a high end condenser mic on the cab, it will record a lot of the sounds from around the room so even if you were standing at the other side of the room you may still get the picking sound in your recordings. I can only suggest staying as far away from the amp/cab as you can with that mic running.
Im using Kristal and audacity to record, mobile-pre by m-audio and a electro-voice Co4 mic. My gain is lowered to 5 and i didn't have time to adjust the eq much. So that might be my main issue. Also i was sitting really close to the cab because i was adjusting the mic alot. Didn't think a shotgun style mic had that much range so thats good to know. Ill try and record playing on the other side of the room or even going outside of the room. And yea i was hoping to get away with one mic but im going to pick up another one this weekend. Im missing a bit of fullness listening to the track again. So hopefully that will improve the sound as well. Thanks again... for the help.