me and my buds started a "band" over a month ago when he bought a drum set. me and bryon have been playing guitar for a few years, and my other bud pat came pretty natural on drums, cool. but me and bryon have like 12 crap amps, but none are that great, they arent loud enough. and our amps keep breaking.

we had a decent bass amp(pretty good for such a small one), was the loudest one. but it ****ing blew when i was runninga guitar through it. it was fine, i was using a non distorted clean setting as to not blow it, but his ****ing switch was screwed up some how, and one of the settings didnt work, started buzzing, then the amp shut down. The light still goes on but no sound comes, usually when ive seen amps blow even the power light wont work.

so basically. what do we do with our amps? Im not really use to playing in a full environment with a band and stuff. Getting amps to sound well over drums, amp positioning, the types of amps, taking care not to blow them, etc. Only time ive really jammed before this was in a pre set environment in someone elses spot or a rented jam space, so i never had to worry about my own amps.

Also what amps do i go for that will be the MOST decent for the CHEAPEST price. ****ing playing music is a bitch to your wallet.
Quote by Manjinken
Also what amps do i go for that will be the MOST decent for the CHEAPEST price. ****ing playing music is a bitch to your wallet.

Mabye if you hadn't wasted your money on a dozen crappy amps, you'd have some money for a decent one.

Sell them all off, see what kind of budget you can get, and let us know.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Mabye if you hadn't wasted your money on a dozen crappy amps, you'd have some money for a decent one.

Sell them all off, see what kind of budget you can get, and let us know.

the reason why we have like 12 crap amps, is from 1)they came with alot of the guitars we have or were given to us.

i know a ton of people who have guitars, dont play them, and have the squires that come witht he amps. they are used to practicing in my room, but do no good in a jam setting.

so no we didnt spend any money on the amps. Im looking into ACTUALY spending money on amps, THATS why im asking for advice. I was reading the sticky thread, and am to understand i need a 50-100W amp. correct?
Well from what you said it doesn't sound like you are wanting to spend a lot of cash. And its going to be impossible to get something good for extremly cheap. Under 500 dollars id say forget it. Unless you go used in which it will probably still be difficult. I remember being young and having a 150 watt solid state amp combo and it still wouldnt go over the drums good and i got all kinds of feedback and it was just muddy. And most people here will say 150 watts is way to much. But in the solid state world sometimes its still not enough. Line 6 spider 2 150 watt for example. Muddy as hell when you get it loud enough to go over drums. I got my first tube amp for 500 bucks... a peavey 5150. I now have a peavey 6505 which I bought used. You want to look at a tube amp. 50 watts is enough if you aren't playing high gain but you'll find that most high gain amps are going to be atleast 100 watts for a reason. You should look into peavey 5150's as they are the standard for metal amps nowadays and can also be very versitle despite what people say.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, what kind of budget would you have?

And what kind of music do you play?

all different types, but were going for a basic rock alternative rock band. Stone Temple Pilots, Muse, police, we usually don't get any heavier than deftones.
i dont really know enough about amps to really wanna go for a tube amp, theys eem more expensive and delicate, so i figured some SS's. but your serious, a 150W SS may not be loud enough? Im gonna check the wattage on my current amps and see whats gonna work.
Quote by Manjinken
i dont really know enough about amps to really wanna go for a tube amp, theys eem more expensive and delicate, so i figured some SS's. but your serious, a 150W SS may not be loud enough? Im gonna check the wattage on my current amps and see whats gonna work.

For jamming with drums, you need at least 15 watts tube, or 30/50 watts solid state. If you have ego problems, and can't resist turning your amp up constantly, you'll need at least 30 watts tube, and 50-100 watts SS.
Quote by Manjinken
i dont really know enough about amps to really wanna go for a tube amp, theys eem more expensive and delicate, so i figured some SS's

Bull****

They are every bit as robust as the next amp so you're wrong there. At loud volumes, i.e. playing over a drummer, SS amps sound like ****. Tube amps seem mor expensive because sometimes they are, but they are worth the money and sound way better so just listen to what people tell you as clearly you couldn't decide on getting a decent amp but I bet you'd have no problem on spending a months wages on a Gibson to go play it through a Fender frontman.

What music do you play?
If we know that, it would help us to help you.