thats basically the question. I'm looking at a hot rod deluxe because i've played through them and they sound heavenly.
I have a greg bennett interceptor, HSS setup, so just think fat strat, same sort of thing and i play john mayer stuff mainly. Thats the tone im searching for.

Fender Supersonic has some killer cleans. Fender Blues Jr is also nice. Just check out a bunch of Fender amps to be honest if cleans are what you're after.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, as I said in your other thread, the HRD doesn't have the best OD. I dislike it a lot, actually.
What's your budget? And what country do you live in?

You also said you play more than Mayer...like AC/DC and Zep. Right?

yeah i do, but thats just mucking around, i have a cheap behringer amp now that i don't mind for stuff like that. budget is somewhere between 1000-1500 AUD. But don't worry about OD now, i just want cleans, and amp with really good cleans, that don't really break up too much, but i still want a little bit, just listen to some mayer and see what im talking about.
^ yeah i've heard those are great a few times. cheers for all the help. and yeah, tube screamer sounds good as well just to beef the cleans up for a bit of OD and a boost for solo's.
What about Marshall Bluesbreaker?
I've heard it has the best clean sound of all the Marshalls and it is perfect for blues. I have one myself.
It's expensive though but you'll never have to worry about buying another amp.
I don't know if this amp has the best cleans possible since I can count on one hand how many amps I've played in my life, and I'm quite tone deaf. But yesterday I played some reggae and I just couldn't put the guitar down because of how good it was sounding. I haven't played anything today (yet) but it's a nice amp for blues.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Feb 14, 2008,
Hot Rod Deluxe will serve you well my friend. You can get pretty decent overdrive tones with a pedal and as you said, the cleans are awesome.
Yeah the cleans on the hot rod are delicious.
It doesn't really break up early either which is nice.
Plus it takes pedals well, which is good because the OD is harsh.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
what is it that you guys don't like about the hot rod deluxe OD? i was playing with it and i liked it.
Any Fender. And by 'any Fender' I don't mean any of the new ones. Look at the reissues ('65 Super Reverb, '59 Bassman, '65 Twin Reverb, '57 Twin, etc).
The Hot Deluxe will do pretty nicely but the overdrive isn't great, especially with a strat. You have to fiddle a lot to get a semi decent sound. My suggestion is to get a Blues Junior and a OD pedal or two. Look into all the tubescreamers, the fulltone ocd and the fulltone fulldrive. You'll be able to get all the tones you want and probably more.
go to my profile and listen to the song, "Lord I Know That." Theres a clean solo in the beginning, and then i start playing a john mayer type rhythm part. Its all with a MIM strat straight into a fender hot rod deluxe. At the end of it i play solo and use the amps OD. it should give yo an idea of how the amp sounds.
If you can afford it go for the super reverb reissue. I own one and it is the best amp I have ever played that isn't vintage. Amazing cleans, much better than the HRD, and amazing overdriven sound, especially when beefed up with a tubescreamer. Much better than the Hot rods, especially since you can find used ones for the same price as a new hotrod.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
If you win the lottery then go for a Twin Reverb, but otherwise go for a Blues Junior. Mind you it may be cheaper in Oz to get someone to build you an amp based on a nice Fender.

I think it's shocking how you lot get raped for prices - I mean, what is the excuse? Considering that many amps these days are built in S.E. Asia which is way closer to Australia than Scotland, but they are at least better priced here.
Fender twin reverb is my choice been playing them for years for the blues and they really like pedals.
gigging? for bedroom practice the Deluxe Reverb RI is nice, and possible to crank it without breaking your eardrums.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by FendermanOC
If you can afford it go for the super reverb reissue. I own one and it is the best amp I have ever played that isn't vintage. Amazing cleans, much better than the HRD, and amazing overdriven sound, especially when beefed up with a tubescreamer. Much better than the Hot rods, especially since you can find used ones for the same price as a new hotrod.

Agreed.