I dont use theory alot but i do how ever know that a powechord should contain
A: A root note
B: A fifth
So why then when i make a normal power chord shape with my first and third fingers on the top fret do i get a 7th? I dont use theory much but im trying to work out some runs i can do in Dminor (my "band" and i are doing a metal cover of happy together by the turltles) and my teacher suggested a few like this one

e-------10--13
b--10----------

(im not totally sure about the third note)
So yeah whats the go with the 7th when i do the powerchord on the top sting and if anyone could suggest some cool ideas with the song it will be apprectiated.
Quote by Blackvelvet
I dont use theory alot but i do how ever know that a powechord should contain
A: A root note
B: A fifth
So why then when i make a normal power chord shape with my first and third fingers on the top fret do i get a 7th? I dont use theory much but im trying to work out some runs i can do in Dminor (my "band" and i are doing a metal cover of happy together by the turltles) and my teacher suggested a few like this one

e-------10--13
b--10----------

(im not totally sure about the third note)
So yeah whats the go with the 7th when i do the powerchord on the top sting and if anyone could suggest some cool ideas with the song it will be apprectiated.

Okay im exactly sure what your asking here? If you put your fingers like this

E12
B10
G
D
A
E

you would just have a normal power chord not a seventh?

In your little
e-------10--13
b--10----------
example this is a run in D minor because the 10 (D)and 13(F) on the high E string are the root note and minor third, the 10 on the B string is an A which is the 5th, so you have

1 b3 5

which is outlining a D minor chord. have a look at the minor scale box patterns if you after runs as they're quite easy to do. Unfortunatly I havnt heard the song so havn't got any suggestions for you...

Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

No, that is a fifth. The note in the E-string is a D amd the note on the A-string is an A.
Let's use the key of A-minor for ease. The notes in A-minor are A, B, C, D, E, F and G.
So from D to A it is D, E, F, G and A. Five notes you've to pass, making it a fifth above the D.
EDIT Reading back over your post I'm not too sure what you're asking...
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Last edited by Caressing Death at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by Blackvelvet
Ahhh thanks! I get it now. Like i said i dont do a lot of theory. Thanks alot. Sorry like i said im really bad at theory

Oh when people say top strings they usally mean B and E, not E and A just to note other wise later in your musical career that could cause some confusion!

And we're always glad to help in here come back with any more questions you have!

Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.