I do all my recording on a laptop, without a mixer, just DI'd. (bad, I know, but it works ). I've broken all my dynamic mics, and I was getting tired of them anyway. I'm looking for a cheapish condenser that doesn't need phantom power.

It doesn't need to be brilliant quality. I need it mainly for vocals, and perhaps for acoustic instruments.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
well there are condensers that will often run on a battery or two, look into some of those I guess.
USB condensers wont warm up your vox or anything...no low end condenser will IMO.

BTW, how the heck did you break all your dynamic mics?
Dynamic mics are very useful in a studio, they work well for higher volume input like heavy vocals and guitar amps. Condensers will warm up your vocals with a fair preamp and good mic but I would have to say that starts at around the $200 price range IMO.
These type of mics are used for low volume inputs like Acoustic guitar, some vocals...and similar work.

Get an interface and use that with your laptop, you'll notice a large change in quality and sound.
Perhaps this one? Cardoid's good for acoustic. Still, a condenser mike will be more delicate than a dynamic, so I highly suggest just getting another dynamic (perhaps an inexpensive but good one like a Behringer XM8500...a little darker than an SM58 but otherwise perfectly good, or a durable one...can't think of any at the moment).
better yet, get the MXL 990/991 with audio buddy preamp
run the preamp output into the line in on your laptop and you will get fair results.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MXL-990991-and-Audio-Buddy-Package?sku=703626

an interface with on board preamps and XLR inputs with phantom would be best but this will still work to an extent..
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
better yet, get the MXL 990/991 with audio buddy preamp
run the preamp output into the line in on your laptop and you will get fair results.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MXL-990991-and-Audio-Buddy-Package?sku=703626

an interface with on board preamps and XLR inputs with phantom would be best but this will still work to an extent..

Nice! thankyou.

Musicians friend ship to England, don't they?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices