Hello everyone,

Okay.

I decided a little while ago I was going to get the Orange rocker 30/verb 50, just because it sounded great and at the time seemed perfect. Now however I am not so sure. My tastes has changed abit, well more like expanded.

I have a MIM tele with texas special pups (although I may change them to something alot cooler even further in the future) and a Classic Players 50s strat.

Around a month ago I was lucky enough to hear then eventually buy the EC and the bluesbreakers album (Beano as its called) and I fell in love with ECs tone. I know that he used a LP and the infamous bluesbreaker amp, since hearing this I have started to question whether an Orange rocker is really what I want.

I also like to play a variety of blues (albeit mostly hard/rock blues) and other styles of rock etc. I would like to have nice cleans, but tbh they are not the most important, I use OD alot more of the time. So basically im asking if the Orange Rocker 30 is the best suited amp for me, or if there are other better options. Can be any brand, as long as its similarly priced as the rocker (willing to go abit more, but rather not) Remember im the UK too!

Musicians/tones I like: SRV, Eric Clapton (I like his older Cream/bluesbreakers days best), Jimi Hendrix etc.
Last edited by Hakanku at Feb 14, 2008,
Maybe an Orange AD instead then? They are aimed at the lower gain tones.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall JTM45 (clone perhaps ?)
they're bluesbreakers in head version (which i think is better because the BB weighs 30 kilos ).
they have very nice glassy cleans, and sound GREAT for blues and rock.
And Clapton used them

(or a marshall plexi is an option too)
I think the Rocker 30 is still an option if you keep the gain setting reasonable and roll off the guitar volume a bit.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Hakanku
Around a month ago I was lucky enough to hear then eventually buy the EC and the bluesbreakers album (Beano as its called) and I fell in love with ECs tone. I know that he used a LP and the infamous bluesbreaker amp, since hearing this I have started to question whether an Orange rocker is really what I want.

I thought he used an AC30 and a Rangemaster treble booster on that album (hence why Analog.man calls his treble booster the "Beano Boost").

I reserve the right to be wrong. I'm not an EC historian by any stretch.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^he doesnt talk about gear at all (except for his first 2 or 3 guitars) in his book unfortunately

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Im pretty sure its the bluesbreaker, thats why its now called the bluesbreaker amp, because Clapton got Jim Marshall to make an amp to fit in his car boot, and he was one of the first people to play gibson through a cranked marshall.

Anyways, good suggestions, but I dont think a plexi is an option, because (although 30 watts is still loud) I would like to get the volume up a fair bit (hey, I get to about half volume with my peavey classic 50) and plexis sound best cranked. And I guess I should also say that although I mostly play hard blues/rock, I sometimes like to turn the gain and just rock out.
Well, if that's the case, no one does the Marshall sound better than Orange, IMHO. Maybe an AD30 would be a better choice than a Rocker 30, though. And I'd think a head with an open-backed 2x12 loaded with Celestion Greenbacks would round it out nicely.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
laney lionheart would doubtless be worth a look, in addition to everything you're already looking at. not saying it's better, but it's certainly in the running.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Slats, he used a Dallas Range Master into a Marshall 2x12 combo. Hence the Beano Boost.

I say go for the Rockerverb 50 and don't turn up the gain as much. Also I suggest eventually getting Yellow Jackets so it will have that EL-84 growl. Or you could go with the AD30 and then when you want more gain get a few overdrives to push it more. And then when you wanted an effects loop cry.
Quote by slatsmania
I thought he used an AC30 and a Rangemaster treble booster on that album (hence why Analog.man calls his treble booster the "Beano Boost").

I reserve the right to be wrong. I'm not an EC historian by any stretch.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

I would check into the Orange AD series.
On Beano he used a Marshall JTM45 Bluesbreaker 2x12 combo with a Rangemaster.

Will the Rocker 30 suit your music? DAMN RIGHT IT WILL!

My fav guitar tone of all time is the Beano tone and when I was shopping for an amp I needed an amp that got that tone (and a few others, but for an example the Beano tone). I got the Rocker 30. 'Nuf said.

Check my video review on it if your doubt me!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
^he doesnt talk about gear at all (except for his first 2 or 3 guitars) in his book unfortunately

Clapton doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to gear. Luckily his playing more than makes up for it.
makes you wonder how he managed to get a cornell... one i tried was awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mr_hankey
Clapton doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to gear. Luckily his playing more than makes up for it.

Agreed.

I know the rocker will get the Beano tone, as well as Hendrix and other hard blues sorta like tones, but im wondering if the gain will be over-kill, I know the rocker can get to quite abit of gain, and im worried that it will be like the Zvex Fuzz Factory, good for wierd whacky sounds, or alot of fuzz, and it can get hendrix-like fuzz tones, but there are alot better fuzz's out there that do it. (I realise that doesnt make much sense, but oh well)

HakEdit: And to Gabe, I trust your opinion, you know alot about amps, especially Orange, I will have to watch your video review as soon as im at home (work computers dont play videos))

And also, in the far future (next year) I will be looking in to a LP style guitar, seeing as this also contributes to the Beano tone quite abit. (Tokai/Edwards FTW)
Last edited by Hakanku at Feb 15, 2008,
^The Rocker isn't at all the like the fuzz factory. Its pure tone. But so is any Orange. I think the AD30 with some sort of OD to push it a bit more would work well for you in this situation but it will be tougher to get higher gain tones if you later want that. The Rocker, however, will do both depending on how you set it.
I didnt mean it litrally sounds like the fuzz, I mean is the rocker's lower gained setting as good as the AD30's equivalent (or some other brand).

Saying all that of course, I probably will end up going with the rocker 30 anyway, I know it is the most marshall sounding non-marshall (even more so than the new marshalls), and it will cover the beano tone and more.
Wel I actually prefered the cleans and lower gain of the Rocker 30. It's not at all a high gain amp. It's great for low gain stuff.

I wouldn't say the AD30 is better for that, it's just different.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Hakanku
(Tokai/Edwards FTW)

indeed. if you're looking second hand/ebay, greco, burny, orville, fernandes etc. are probably worth a look (also MIJ) but i haven't tried them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?