hi folks,

looking at a budget of around £200BPS for a new amp. Looking for the Oasis, Beatles etc. type sound

been surfing and found the VOX AD-30, a few MArshalls and there's a 30W Orange that i like the look of but i need to know if any of them are any good.

i only really play in my house so dont need massive power just looking for a good sound

thanks in advance fellas
That Vox will suit you perfectly, you could even stretch to the 50W for 200 quid.
The orange your looking it for that price will have to be the Crush, its a SS amp that isnt worth it, it wont have that 'orange' tone that people want. £200 can get you the Harley Benton GA5 (identical apart from the extra tone knob and cosmetics) from thomann and probably one of their cabs. It is 5 watts of pure tube, so when you turn it up it sounds great and gets natural OD. 5 watts (from a tube amp) can still be reasonably loud though for just bedroom practice (at cranking level)

I assume you arent looking for loads of pre-settings/built-in effects, oasis is normally quite a dry signal, overdriven british voiced amp, and the beatles were normally a clean chimey sound (sometimes real light OD)

The vox is a nice amp though if you want quite a few different settings when practicing.
I've got a Marshall DSL401 that I'm selling for £250. It's 40 watts and valve. See my sig.
The Vox's are the best from what you've listed. Stay away from the rest of them though as the Orange isn't really an Orange, and just use the search bar to find out what people think of Marshalls under the £500 range.

With the money you have you could get the amp that I have, it is great for what you want to play, especially Oasis (I'm a big fan), and you can get decent Beatles sounds too. An Epiphone Valve Junior is also a good choice, and you could try any of the new Fender Champ series (600, Vibro, Super) to see what suits you. Also the Laney VC15 which you can get as low as £219. This is a great amp with a good clean channel (early Beatles hurrah) and a good overdrive channel which will also suit your taste in music no end. I'd say go for the Laney as it is more versatile as it is a 2 channel amp. Do not touch cheap Marshalls though.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Laney VC15 for sure...

+1

it's only about an extra £15 new (though granted the footswitch is also about another £15). definitely worth it, though, IMO, especially for that type of music.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

it's only about an extra £15 new (though granted the footswitch is also about another £15). definitely worth it, though, IMO, especially for that type of music.

Footswitch isn't necessary and you can build one for less.
touche. I just thought i'd better mention it. worst comes to the worst you could always buy one later.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
touche. I just thought i'd better mention it. worst comes to the worst you could always buy one later.

Damn that was a fast reply...

I bought one, then ditched the switch and used the enclosure and built my own with LEDs.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for all the advice chaps.

i'm swaying towards the VOX as its cheap and i've heard good things about it but also the Laney has got class reviews but its another £100, is it worth the extra or will the VOX do me a job? really like the look of the VOX-AD30VT XL
Last edited by maxwelledison at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by maxwelledison
thanks for all the advice chaps.

i'm swaying towards the VOX as its cheap and i've heard good things about it but also the Laney has got class reviews but its another £100, is it worth the extra or will the VOX do me a job? really like the look of the VOX-AD30VT XL

Good advice, but (in my opinion!!) the VC 15 is too loud for bedroom practice (which you've said you want to use it for). I've just sold my VC15 for that reason, it was too loud at bedroom volumes, I too am looking for the Oasis type sound & couldn't get it at low volumes form the VC15.
The Vox ADVT XL is absoloutely awfull. Not even close to what you want, there are no usable clean tones, no decent low gain crunch, out of all of the high gain channels about 2/3 sound decent. I woudlnt go for it.

If anything the REGULAR ADVT is what you're after here. That is a superb amp for the money.

I think if you know what you're doing with the VC, pick up a couple of pedals its fine. I have the VC30, and 90% of the time its just for use in my bedrooom. It's a great amp, its a full valve amp, more drynamic, more tonefull, but it depends on what you want.