Page 1 of 2
hey every one ive been looking for a new amp for a while and ive come accross the Marshall MG412A cab with a Marshall MG100HDFX head for quite a reasonable price does anyone know anything about them?

also i play heavy rock and some metal music and im looking to bult my own pedal set so dnt want to spend too much on the amp maybe £400 any ideas or wout this work for me?

heres a link to them

http://www.guitar.co.uk/marshall/490-marshall_mg412a_guitar_amplifier_cabinet?page=2

http://www.guitar.co.uk/amplifiers/electric/488-marshall_mg100hdfx_guitar_amplifier

thanks
They are bad. Not worth it. Why exactly do you need an halfstack? A good tube combo would probably be better for you, and 30 watts (which is fairly common) is loud enough for gigs.
no, wouldnt work out, will sound crappy and result in you spending the same dough on a new amp in 2 months max

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
how do you mean it will sound crappy? and i dont need a half stack i want one think they look a lot better than tube combos
bad cleans
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Quote by tom_1106
how do you mean it will sound crappy? and i dont need a half stack i want one think they look a lot better than tube combos

it'll sound digital, not good...simply not like the tones you have in your head...if theyre "good" tones at least

and looks should by NO MEANS AT ALL influence your amp buying decision

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
yeah everyone seems to hate marshal amps nowadays, I was talked out of going for a marshall and am now looking for a good all tube amp, was thinking about spider valve212 (I am aware that spider amps usually blow chunks, but this one has a different air about it, its a proper tube amp with the goodness of having cool presets and custom chanels and stuff etc)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/line_6/spider_valve_212/index.html

a bit over your price range at £500ish but its what im thinking of getting
Last edited by Irontallica09 at Feb 14, 2008,
Depends on what you wanna play. Vox AC series or Laney VC or LC series.

30 watts should be enough for gigs. If its not enough just mic the amps. Best if you can go try them all.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
I've got a Marshall DSL401 that I'm selling. It's 40 watts, valve and going for £250. It just needs the valves replacing if you want to use any great amount of gain. See my sig.
Well, considering your in Scotland, I'd check into Laney amps. 30 watts is good enough to do a gig, anything bigger, you can mic it.
The MG series amps use digital preamps into rather poor quality solid state power amps. They have quite the reputation for sounding thin and shrill, and the onboard effects are generally loathed by 95% of the guitar playing population. That said, the MG's won't obtain the kind of tones that made Marshall famous.

I have to question the major factor in determining what you're going to purchase.....looks? I can understand wanting an attractive/intimidating rig, however selecting that over the more serious concern of tone is really quite silly. Most people don't care how big/good looking your amp is as long as it sounds decent. Most of the people who do care will probably end up laughing because you spent your money on an MG.

I'm not saying you should get a tube combo (though I think it's a much better idea), if you're bent on a halfstack then you'll probably end up with one. All I'm saying is that for the money you'll invest in an MG, you could be well on your way to having a great sounding, high quality rig.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Irontallica09
yeah everyone seems to hate marshal amps nowadays

What are you on about? Marshall amps are great. Just not the <$1000 ones.
Since you're in Europe, go for a laney.
If you were in the States, I would have recommended a peavey classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Irontallica09
yeah everyone seems to hate marshal amps nowadays,

WRONG

Their Solid state amps suck. Everyone hates them

Everyone still loves the Marshall Tube amps. JCM series are beautiful.
Threads like these ruin UG.

With just a little common sense, a little research, and a little use of the search button, this thread needn't have been made and TS would be looking for a nice tube amp.
look into a more quality amp

the marshall MG series SUCKS BAWLZ

seriously tho, very muddy sound, not really that loud even, ugly cleans, uglier distortion

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Search Bar, Seriously Ts
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Don_Humpador
Threads like these ruin UG.

With just a little common sense, a little research, and a little use of the search button, this thread needn't have been made and TS would be looking for a nice tube amp.

Yeah, but it gives me an opportunity to plug my amp .

^ VC's will do metal, so long as you have an overdrive pedal, and crank it up.
Quote by blue_strat

^ VC's will do metal, so long as you have an overdrive pedal, and crank it up.

Not really, they're too bright and vintagey...
so just just give this a miss the??? and to all of you sugesting combos im not really looking for one i really want a good sounding half stack
You'll be spending more than £400 then, I think. The cost of a good valve head and a decent cab would be more than that.
Quote by tom_1106
so just just give this a miss the??? and to all of you sugesting combos im not really looking for one I really want a good sounding half stack
You won't get a good sounding one unless you pay a huge amount more than you're bargaining for.

The halfstacks in your pricerange are all solid state, high wattage beasts with big 4x12 cabs.... Which is why you're attracted to them

But if I were to tell you a valve combo like the Randall RG50TC is 50w of tube power - equivalent to about 150w SS, the amount of speakers makes a very negligible difference and the Randall sounds a hell of a lot better than any of these gimmicky halfstacks, would your mind be swayed?

because all that MG100 is, is a MG15 with more wattage, in drag, with a big cab full of crap speakers.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by tom_1106

You must be absolutely daft if you just want to get an amp because of how it looks. An amps got to sound good for it to be worth buying, and trust everyone, the Marshall MG is a pile of ****e. What are you going to use your amp for, just the bedroom? Cos it will be a pain in the arse having to lug a big halfstack with you everywhere you go to play, so you will be better off with a combo. Why not get Merchant city music to order you in a Laney VC30 combo, it will knock spots off a Marshall MG, and even at 30 watts all tube, it will be louder and sound way better than your MG halfstack, and is about the same price. I take it you're new to guitar and you think "0mGzzzz, t3h m4r5ha11 is t3h uber b3zt amPzzz in teh worldzzz, " , but a name doesn't mean anything.

And, neither does 100 watts.

EDIT:

Quote by tom_1106
so just just give this a miss the??? and to all of you sugesting combos im not really looking for one i really want a good sounding half stack

WHY?!?

What difference do you seriously think it will make? Girls? No. Kudos? NO! Stardom, and playing to 50,000 at Hampden Park with a MARSHALL HALF STACK!? NO!!

Why aren't you looking for a good amp?

You know what wee man, knock yourself out, go and waste your money.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by tom_1106

But WHY do you want a half stack? Because it looks good? If you don't care about sound, go buy the MG. But most of us prefer a good-sounding amp to a good-looking one.
^ That'd sound fantastic (although i'm not liking the cab speakers), but haven't you got a budget?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ then save your money, cause you are going to need 1000 american dollars to buy somthing good sounding new. IDK about the Peavey Valvekings in scotland, but in the US the are a great bargin all tube and are pretty budget minded, the half stack is like 800-900 US dollars.
But really a tube combo would sound much better than a crappy budget half stack. If your bent on the half stack, go save your money and go used if you want somthing dececnt.
You may want to start by looking at some of the lower priced tube heads:

Peavey Windsor: this may be your best bet, very similar sounding to the Marshall JCM800, easily modified, inexpensive

Peavey Valveking: flatter sounding that the Windsor, but with more gain and more versatility

Crate V32H/V33H: class A amps similar to an AC-30 in design though voiced differently, good for the price

There are plenty of other options, especially if you're willing to shop used.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
yea i do but my bithday is coming up soon i could ask for money towards it and not have to put that much towards it myself hopefully
If you want something affordable, half stack is really not a good option. 4 speakers won't make it 4 times as loud. A combo is much cheaper, easier to move around and if you don't like the speakers, you only need to replace 1 instead of 4.
yea but ive now got myself set on a half stack...im not sure what to do really...okay seeing as your all saying not to get a half stack what should i look into for a combo then?
Try a peavey windsor

Traynor akes a half stack that sounds good, Will be over your budget though

IF you do decide to go with the MG halfstack... come up to canada and I will bet you that my Traynor 50 watt combo will blow you out of the water. In tone AND volume. (I know because I have done it to a MG half stack before.)
i think from now on anybody with a post wanting confirmation on a marshall mg or a line 6 spider, ESPECIALLY someone wanting a 1/2-stack because they look cooler than a combo, EVERYBODY should respond by saying how great they are and how 1/2-stacks ARE MUCH better than combos. and that they should buy one as soon as possible.
maybe GG&A front page should have this plastered along the top in huge letters
For heavy rock and metal-music, maybe Peavey Windsor Studio, Peavey Valveking, Laney LC30 or something similar.
Quote by tom_1106
yea but ive now got myself set on a half stack...im not sure what to do really...okay seeing as your all saying not to get a half stack what should i look into for a combo then?

Why are you set on a Halfstack? It does not do anything different or better. You don't need one unless you are playing main stage at T in The Park so just get over it. If you want a Marshall, get this as it's the only half decent one near your price range:
http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=194

For something similar, that will suit your taste, look here:
http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Peavey_Valveking_112.html

There are plenty of good amps out there. You don't need to look like a prat or sound like one, but it's your money.
Quote by sethp
i think from now on anybody with a post wanting confirmation on a marshall mg or a line 6 spider, ESPECIALLY someone wanting a 1/2-stack because they look cooler than a combo, EVERYBODY should respond by saying how great they are and how 1/2-stacks ARE MUCH better than combos. and that they should buy one as soon as possible.
maybe GG&A front page should have this plastered along the top in huge letters

I am starting to think this too... then it also makes me sound better when someone hears this big Marshall half stack, then here I come and sound 10xs better with a little blue combo amp.

Get the MG man!! It rocks hard and its a Marshall! What can be better then that!!!
Page 1 of 2