Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to absolutly everything and would really like to learn how to play the guitar, I like pretty much all music that has a guitar playing one way or another.

From trawling through the forums and reading reviews etc, i'm pretty much decided the below but would appreciate some input should you have any:

Epiphone Les Paul Special II, Electric Guitar
Marshall MG10CD, Electric Guitar Amp
Access All Areas Basic Bag for electric guitar
Merchant City Music Guitar Plectrum
Warwick RockCable RCL 30203 D6, Guitar Lead
Merchant City Music Nylon Guitar Strap
Boss TU80 Tuner and Metronome

That all comes in at a shade under £200 which is my budget.

As I say any input is appreciated. Also any tips for a first time budding guitarist?

Thanks all.
Quote by MattHouse
Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to absolutly everything and would really like to learn how to play the guitar, I like pretty much all music that has a guitar playing one way or another.

From trawling through the forums and reading reviews etc, i'm pretty much decided the below but would appreciate some input should you have any:

As I say any input is appreciated. Also any tips for a first time budding guitarist?

Thanks all.

You'll need more than 1 plectrum. Hell i must have about 50 in this house somewhere but i only can find 2.

And everyone else here will tell you on no circumstances to buy the marshall MG amp, its a poorly made amp which marshall cheaps out on knowing that beginners will haplessly buy because they see the name marshall on it.
Something like a microcube or cube15 would be better.
sounds like a good setup, and may i reccomend ESP's once you're ready to upgrade?
Up the Punx!
Excellent, keep it comin guys, see I don't think about these things lol. What's an ESP?
Quote by StonaLemons
You'll need more than 1 plectrum. Hell i must have about 50 in this house somewhere but i only can find 2.

And everyone else here will tell you on no circumstances to buy the marshall MG amp, its a poorly made amp which marshall cheaps out on knowing that beginners will haplessly buy because they see the name marshall on it.
Something like a microcube or cube15 would be better.

I see what you mean, the above amp was in a package

I'll check out the 2 you mentioned.
microcubes are great

ESP is a company that makes guitars, you can google them
ESP's are a brand of guitar and bass which most metal guitarists use

like kirk hammett and james hetfield use them
an ESP is a make of guitar, better for playing metal on than anything else. Buy some spare strings, (d'adarrio or ernie ball) and LOTS OF PLECTRUMS! the plectrum gnome takes one every day.
Quote by tymatt67
kinky = using a feather , perverted = using whole chicken.

the guy who said get a cube 15 is very right. that was my first amp and it can put out some ****ing sound. otherwise your stuff looks good.
Quote by MattHouse
Hello everyone,

Thanks all.

That would convert to roughly RM1300 (Malaysian ringgit).

Goddammit. In Malaysia, all that would reach somewhere around RM7000.

Oh, and I recommend a Dunlop Big Stubby Pick. Especially the one with three edges. I like the feel, it doesn't slip, and frankly it lasts a lot longer. Nice stuff.
Excellent, thanks guys, this is gonna help alot, i've noticed if I buy all bits seperatly but with a Cube 15 it comes to roughly the same.

Pick thickness, is 1mm ok to start off with? I can't find the Stubby's that were mentioned.
well as everyone said, urge you to buy just about 1 of each pick at the store, and see what is the most comfortable for you, (personally i like black jazz III), and i also recommend you to do not buy the boss TU80 its very expensive and you really dont need it in a pedal, there are some very nice korg hand held tuner for less then quarter the price.
also, can you tell us more about the type of music you would like to play?
maybe you need another guitar (although the epi is a very nice all-around guitar).
I'd get the Korg GA-30 Tuner. It's the best tuner I've ever used and I've never met anyone around here that doesn't use it or the chromatic version. Though it doesn't have a metronome.
I usually don't suggest packages but http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul100-HiPerformance-Pack-with-Valve-Junior-Amp?sku=514492 is pretty sweet. As a beginner you won't be needing a top of the line guitar or amp. The guitar is pretty good, MY ex singer had one, it was stolen by some douche. The amp is good too, even some advanced players are using it(w/ mod or pedals)
I just started as well and I have almost the exact same setup: same guitar, same amp, same tuner. The guitar is great for the price, it's alot thinner than most lp's and a lot lighter as well. It sounds decent, the only thing I really hate is it falls out of tune alot....so that tuner will come in handy. The amp is the best part, it has a really nice tone on the clean and a really deep sounding distortion, it's not that loud...but if your like me I don't really need anything too loud since i'm not in a band or anything. The tuner can be a little shaky at times...but for the most part it's good for the price and it gets the job done.
You might check out the Vox DA5 amp. Good sounds out of it, and you can just run it off batteries if you want. I love mine.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
I usually don't suggest packages but http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul100-HiPerformance-Pack-with-Valve-Junior-Amp?sku=514492 is pretty sweet. As a beginner you won't be needing a top of the line guitar or amp. The guitar is pretty good, MY ex singer had one, it was stolen by some douche. The amp is good too, even some advanced players are using it(w/ mod or pedals)

i could have gotten my guitar in a package with a Valve Junior combo?

*facepalm*

i'm not sure i would use one of these as a first amp, you probably want distortion models and stuff... go for the Roland Cube series or Vox Valvetronix for a first amp i say. in theory you COULD do a Line 6 Spider, but i recommend against it.

also, check out some stuff used. if you go to a mom and pop style music store not only will they help you out more than a Guitar Center/Sam Ash, you could find some used equipment and save yourself a bunch of money on gear that you hopefully wont be playing on for over a year.

happy trails!
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Loads of comments on here guys, thanks alot, in terms of music, I like alot of classic rock, this is probably what i'll be playing the most with probably a bit of metal/indie/punk chucked in for good measure. I'm still open to suggestions as i'm not gonna be able to get this kit till I get paid in a few days time so the more the merrier!
Quote by ACDCfrontman
I just started as well and I have almost the exact same setup: same guitar, same amp, same tuner. The guitar is great for the price, it's alot thinner than most lp's and a lot lighter as well. It sounds decent, the only thing I really hate is it falls out of tune alot....so that tuner will come in handy. The amp is the best part, it has a really nice tone on the clean and a really deep sounding distortion, it's not that loud...but if your like me I don't really need anything too loud since i'm not in a band or anything. The tuner can be a little shaky at times...but for the most part it's good for the price and it gets the job done.

This is good to know, thanks mate
Quote by MattHouse
I see what you mean, the above amp was in a package

I'll check out the 2 you mentioned.

personally, even though everyone hates them, i'd either get a microcube, or a line 6 spider. Since you are a beginner, you wont notice that it sounds horrible to the experienced ear. And, they are a jack of all trades for practice amps. The effects are cool as a beginner.

Quote by ze monsta
Bull****.
Don't buy anything over the MG10.

Anything over that is a waste of money. They're ok, but you get what you pay for.

i'd say the 15 is the highest you should go. But the spider is better, and (imo) the crate starters are better too.

All of these would be better choices, in my opinion anyways.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-15R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480668
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW15R-15W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481055
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Rage-258-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481336

Although, im not exactly sure about they peavey, maybe someone else has it and could give you an opinion. I am suggesting it because peavey generally has quality stuff.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Feb 15, 2008,
Don't get the MG, get a small Roland Cube or something else, just NOT the MG series.

You can settle for a Spider amp but don't expect to fall in love with it for too long when you start recognizing the difference between solid-state amps (that's digital) and valve amps (natural sound)
Quote by ze monsta
Bull****.
Don't buy anything over the MG10.

Anything over that is a waste of money. They're ok, but you get what you pay for.

You can get BETTER for what you pay for in Roland or Vox. Hell even Line 6 Spiders are better than MGs.
That was my first guitar... its good... I still use it at gigs for clean tone songs because of the adjustments I've made to its action, it sounds awesome

As for the amp... I would spend about 30 more dollars and get the Line 6 Spider III 15. Its my current practice amp and it kicks ass(for being $99)

And you definately need an extra pick
Whats with you people callin' em plectrums, lol. Picks is just easier...

Anyway, the setup is good. Keep playing, if you find you really like guitar, go out and look to upgrade. Dont upgrade until you are sure you're gonna stick with it, so you dont waste your money.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Like everyone else said, I would recommend not buying the MG. I'd recommend a roland micro-cube. It's small but sounds really good for the size (a lot better than the MG anyway).
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you