(I've posted this question in another forum as well. I apologize if you've already seen it.) Can anyone suggest a comprehensive book regarding the use of a capo? I've found several on Amazon.com (both by Mel Bay) but am not sure which one to buy. Maybe it doesn't make a difference...thought I'd get some input anyway. Thanks.
You want a book on how to use a capo? Exactly what are you looking to find in said book? I mean unless you start buying half capos or the rolling ones I don't see much you plan on doing with it, at least not enough to require a book. Even then I don't see the point...but seriously what are you thinking that you'll get out of this book? I sincerely want to know, because if there's some mysterious world of capos out there that I've never heard of share the wealth my friend.
I never capoed until I started singing with my wife. Being a soprano, E is a bit low for her, so I roll it on up to A (fret 5) and can practically sing the same melody as before because it's a fifth below...

Example: On The Road Again by the great Willie.

On that one I actually go a fourth below Willie to sing the octave below my wife, we work it into our Johnny Cash/June Carter routine and it fits nicely (even though it's not a Cash song obviously.)

When I do Folsom Prison Blues by Cash I just can't quite hit that delicious low E that Johnny hit because Johnny is just...Johnny f**king CASH!!!!!! I am a mere mortal...

But when I hit my low, low, low (low as I can go) F# - the average listener is none the wiser.

So that's how/why you use a capo.

Also - Under the Bridge by the Chilis?

Can be played in standard E tuning because I've done it just for the challenge of trying it...

Wow! That's beyond a pain.

Capo 2? Easy. That's how it goes. It's in D, not C.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Gee whiz. I guess I'm looking for a book that lists the fret-by-fret chord transpositions. I'm relatively new to playing the acoustic guitar. I can't effectively play barre chords yet but there are a number of songs (that would otherwise require barre chords) that I can play with the help of a capo. Are you getting enough ketchup, mattvl. You know, ketchup contains natural mellowing agents...
Quote by adettman
Gee whiz. I guess I'm looking for a book that lists the fret-by-fret chord transpositions. I'm relatively new to playing the acoustic guitar. I can't effectively play barre chords yet but there are a number of songs (that would otherwise require barre chords) that I can play with the help of a capo. Are you getting enough ketchup, mattvl. You know, ketchup contains natural mellowing agents...

you really don't want to do that. With stuff like this, you'll really benefit by working it out yourself rather than just reading it out of a book. That's a lazy method to use. If you need any help there's loads of good stuff in the sticky and a billion other places on this site. Trust me, your knowledge of the fretboard will increase much faster.