Well, I was going to head to Guitar Center later on to pick up picks for my bass. I was just wondering what kind of picks you guys would recommend? I've never really gone pick shopping for my bass.

Not that it's too important, but I have an Ibanez SR300DX.

Thanks!
I just use a really hard guitar pick, I find proper bass picks too big and cumbersome...just buy the hardest one they've got, should do the trick
Yeah, Dunlop Purple ones i favor. but i do use my fingers where i can now.
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Try ur fingers instead...it's more fun to get calluses
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
i like the cork picks, they may be a little hard to find, but they keep the thump of the bass as well as the picking sound most people look for.
Multi-Instrumentalists FTW!!!
Yeah, I use my fingers quite frequently. I just wanted to pick up some picks to practice using them.
I use either the gray or the black dunlop nylons!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
get a fender thin guitar pick...

haha, not, just something really thick...
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Try some of the Dunlop Big Stubby picks. There super-thick, and should work well for bass id think.
Quote by _-Joey-_
fingers are the way to go!
i find i can play faster & more technical things with my fingers!

I swear to God, don't even start.

Personally, I didn't even know that there were different picks made for bass. I just have some pretty heavy Peavey guitar picks that do the trick quite nicely. I wish I could help more, but they don't say the gauge (or thickness, or whatever the hell I'm looking for) on them.
i always go for the yellow dunlop ones. They are .73 thick and for me thats about right.
I use 3mm Big Stubbies, and if they're not available, 2mm Dunlop picks (Gator Grip or Torex, same thing really). I thin pick rigidity is very, very important.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I use 3mm Big Stubbies, and if they're not available, 2mm Dunlop picks (Gator Grip or Torex, same thing really). I thin pick rigidity is very, very important.

FITZ JUST RECOMMENDED THIN PICKS!!

OH MY GOD!!!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
FITZ JUST RECOMMENDED THIN PICKS!!

OH MY GOD!!!

OK, you got me. I forgot a K. It should have read:

I Kthin pick rigiKdity is veryK, veKry imporKtant
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

OK, you got me. I forgot a K. It should have read:

I Kthin pick rigiKdity is veryK, veKry imporKtant

That's better.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
imo the blue aligator dunlop (1.14mm) picks is really nice, not to thick and not to thin
I've only ever used Dunlop picks, but I like the .73mm, the .88mm I think it is and the 3mm stubby ones.
In the rare occasions I use a pick, my favourite one is the Dunlop Jazz III.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Well, usually i play with my fingers, i think thats the way to learn. However, i just played a show with a pop-punk band, i figured since thats the way their old bass player did, i try it out. Ever since then i've been experimenting with picks, i like my purple dunlops that are 2.mm i think, but also dunlop makes these clear yellow ones that i think are only 1.5.mm and i like using those the best
Lyrics so phat, you just might gain weight.
~Digable Planets
2mm dunlop Gators for me, although i haven't used picks in a while
.88mm Dunlop Tortex green or the 1mm blue ones. Anything more than 1mm just seems a little overkill.
i used the same picks i used on guitar when i used a pick on bass. Fender Extra heavy. but dunlops are good too
If I'm playing metal/heavy stuff I use 2mm Gator Grips, but if I'm doing more of a punk/pop tune I use 1mm Tortex.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
i'm currently using dunlop thumbpicks. Yes it's very odd and I only get about an hour and a half's playing out of one before it has had it but yeah. I like them alot because I can switch to fingers then back to pick effortlessly. I like them alot and think it gives me far more control over the picking but yeah its personal preference i suppose
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by Dan04
picks are for guitar.
use your fingers

Well, no. Picks aren't just for guitar. There's a lot of stuff you might struggle to play as good with your fingers. It just depends what you can play best with, what's best for the song you're playing and of course personal preference.
When I play with picks, I typically use either Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm or 1.5mm. They're pretty good, get the job done.
When I use picks I use Planet Waves 1.04mm picks. I got many of them. i feel they are hard to break. If they break you are trying really hard.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
Dunlop Jazz III... Small, thick and very easy to play with
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
Quote by Dan04
picks are for guitar.
use your fingers

There's always gotta be one ignorant moron...

Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm or the thinner Dunlop tortex ones I forget the width but they're the orange ones.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
i bet most people is saying 3mm dunlops
well i use a 0.60 gel dunlop pick
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I use my fingers most of the time, but I keep a set of Dunlop Big Stubbies in my gig bag just in case.

In six and a half years, I've had to use them once due to some nasty blisters I developed on my right hand fingers (recorded a cd for several hours a day that week; hadn't played that much in ages). I played a couple of songs with them at my church's youth group and they felt decent. It was weird playing with them without having much practice with a pick, but their attack was good and the fact that they're so big prevented any slippage.
I use Clayton 1mm and Dunlop Tor(t?)ex 1mm. I've been playing on the same Clayton since Christmas just trying to break it. Still holds strong.
Peavey Fury bass
100 watt SWR Workingman's 12
I use .88mm Dunlop Nylon picks. For me they're rigid but have flexibility, so they suit my needs.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack