Say you've got 3 humbuckers (For the sake of argument, a SD JB, Vintage Rails, and '59). If each had an on/off switch, just how complex can you really get?

A 4-conductor humbucker can be switched from series to parallel pretty easily, and I'm sure there is a way to tap either the front or rear coil with a 3-way toggle. At that point, could you even go so far as to add a phase switch for the tapped positions?

I guess what I'm asking is if you have a 3 humbucker guitar, and you exhaust every available switching option, just how many combinations are REALLY possible.

I figure 3 pickups with 7 options each (Series, Parallel, Front coil, Rear coil, Front coil out-of-phase, Rear coil out-of-phase) equal a factorial equation of 3!7 (Not sure if thats the correct, its been a while ) which results in 2,187 possible combinations.

Input?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by james4
this wiring gets you 11867 options with an HSH...
Holy ****...

I was thinking something like this...

3 - humbuckers

3 - on/off switches
3 - Series/Parallel switches
3 - full humbucker, Front coil, Rear coil switches
3 - phase switches

I can't pretend to know how this type of thing works, but thats how I'd want it.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I'd go for impractical before pointless, regardless, I'm just curious if its possible.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Holy ****...

I was thinking something like this...

3 - humbuckers

3 - on/off switches
3 - Series/Parallel switches
3 - full humbucker, Front coil, Rear coil switches
3 - phase switches

I can't pretend to know how this type of thing works, but thats how I'd want it.

on top of that you could add series/parallel switch for all the pickups in relation to eachother (rather than in relation to the neighbouing coil), as well as all pickups in/out of phase (as opposed to coils of a humbucker in/out of phase with eachother).
Quote by Dirk Gently
Wow, that would be pointless.

quite

Quote by james4
on top of that you could add series/parallel switch for all the pickups in relation to eachother (rather than in relation to the neighbouing coil), as well as all pickups in/out of phase (as opposed to coils of a humbucker in/out of phase with eachother)...
I think my head is about to explode...

Ok, ok, it would be pointless AND impractical, but, where would one find wiring diagrams of this nature (Pointless and impractical that is).

And yes, I've already taken that first link into consideration james4
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
That'd be a good studio guitar, because of its versatility, but live that would just be a hassle.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
That'd be a good studio guitar, because of its versatility...
Yahtzee.

A friend of mine just opened a mini-studio out of his house. He wanted to setup a guitar to cover any and every sound a customer might need.

No intention of live use.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头