ok.. so... last year i bought the infamous Marshall MG 30W version... by the time i didnt know how bad its tone was... so now this year im looking for new stuff... i wanna go tube but i dont have much money so im thinking of getting a valveking 112. im mostly gonna play metal and metalcore so i wanna know what your thoughts are about this amp... any other amp suggestions are welcome but dont suggest me amps that are over 500$ since im on a budget xD
VK 112 or 212
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Quote by acdcrocks0323
That is probably the best amp you can get brand new. You could get a Randall RG50TC or B-52 AT-112 or Mesa F-30 if you buy used. I recommend going used because you will get better quality amps for the same price.

+1

the VK isnt too great, its only alright
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
since you suggest randalls... have you guys tryed that amp? what about it? and what makes it better than the VK?
The VK is just a mediocre amp. It is pretty versatile but doesn't do anything that good IMO. Since you are playing heavier music, the Randall would suit you better. It is tighter and gainier and a better tone for what you need.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The VK is just a mediocre amp. It is pretty versatile but doesn't do anything that good IMO. Since you are playing heavier music, the Randall would suit you better. It is tighter and gainier and a better tone for what you need.

+1
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
I respectfully disagree. The Valveking is far from mediocre. It has a very useful gain structure, plenty of distortion on tap (more modern than classic) but can do blues and classic rock great. The 112 is worth checking out, as in my opinion its the best value of the series.
Forgive my bragging, but when I play my classic rock/blues on my VK the listeners are not getting up and leaving. Most often I hear (listen to the sound that SOB is getting) and people jump up and dance, and the conversation ends as the focus is on the music. That's what its all about people.
Quote by uldhppi
I respectfully disagree. The Valveking is far from mediocre. It has a very useful gain structure, plenty of distortion on tap (more modern than classic) but can do blues and classic rock great. The 112 is worth checking out, as in my opinion its the best value of the series.
Forgive my bragging, but when I play my classic rock/blues on my VK the listeners are not getting up and leaving. Most often I hear (listen to the sound that SOB is getting) and people jump up and dance, and the conversation ends as the focus is on the music. That's what its all about people.

Now, see.... I'm not sure how that last paragraph is actually relevant. Believe it or not, most average-joe audience members don't have a particularly well-developed ear for tone. More likely, the atmosphere, your technical ability, or other circumstances are the cause of the people who "jump up and dance".

The valveking is a fine budget tube amp. For someone looking for high-gain stuff (like the TS), I feel the Randall is a superior choice.

It's tight. Tight like a tiger.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
well im gonna check out those two amps... and what about gain? does the VK need a tubescreamer or an OD808 to get enough gain for metalcore? does the randall need one?
Quote by cedaguol
well im gonna check out those two amps... and what about gain? does the VK need a tubescreamer or an OD808 to get enough gain for metalcore? does the randall need one?

In my experience the VK doesn't have quite enough, but the randall will be fine.