I was thinking about ordering one in the future when i have enough money (end of year or mid next year is projected target). To those who are going to tell me to go make it myself, i would but I want it to be good and I would ruin it badly! Anyway, where would be a good place to order from, taking price but also quality into account.

Also some idea of prices would be a good idea, I'm thinking of a telecaster shape with a mirror finish, or maybe white/red with just a mirror pick guard. Also I was thinking of getting a zvex fuzz factory installed with a fernandes sustainer system and a bare knuckle nail bomb pickup. Any opinions on changes to look or specs would be appreciated too, its always nice to hear other people opinions!

Cheers in advance for any help.
Try finding a local (but at least moderately well known) luthier who you can get it from. You probably won't end up spending as much as you would at a huge brand name custom shop.
http://www.conklinguitars.com/index.html

very, very expensive, but well worth the money.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by james4
Try finding a local (but at least moderately well known) luthier who you can get it from. You probably won't end up spending as much as you would at a huge brand name custom shop.

Problem is I live in the middle of nowhere and would have no idea where to look (England in Somerset). Only just found there's a guitar shop about 15 mins away from me!

Sabres when you say very, very expensive how much are we talking? Like over £2 grand, or what? Cause around £1.5k i could live with, just might take awhile to save up!

EDIT: Just thought is £1.5k a reasonable projected price for what I'm after? Or is my ignorance causing me to project far too low?
Last edited by Azza Dutt at Feb 14, 2008,
For £1500, you're not going to get a custom guitar from any brand. You're going to have to go to a local luthier. Look in the yellow pages, ask in any stores near you, etc - though I can tell you now, living in Bath (so sort of a Somerset lad myself), I've yet to come across anyone within even driving distance. Saving up several thousand and going to a big brand is about as good as it looks to get for us.

Additionally, I'd be surprised if an independent luthier could put together everything you want anyway, without having to charge you the same kind of price a brand would anyway. The more specific you are, the more these things cost; it might be a good idea for you to not order the guitar with whatever pickups, tuners and so on (easily fittable things), and then fit them yourself later.

EDIT: Yes, £1500 is too low for what you want. You could maybe get the basic guitar made for that much (this is assuming you want it to be an at least semi-decent quality job). Remember, standard gig-worthy off-the-shelf instruments cost usually £1000 at the lowest, and those are ones without any extra special stuff, and are mass-produced.
When I go to order from ESP's Custom Shop for example, I can be spending between £4,000 and £12,000 per instrument (though of course I'd never go through with an order of a £12,000 guitar - but they have quoted me as much as that in the past!). Now, that's a big brand, and a lone luthier will be cheaper, but even still, you can see the kind of money we're talking about. For a decent quality instrument that you could gig with, with thsoe things you want, I'd expect you'd need at least £2,000 for a bodge job, £2,500+ for a decent job.

Don't fret though. Even most average charting bands these days don't have custom isntruments. I mean hell, most of those overly-manufactured feux-'indie' bands that are all over are charts are using Mexican Teles and Sgs straight off the shelf!
Last edited by bokuho at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by BuryMeInBliss
hey, the base price for a conklin custom build is $4200, which is about £2k.

.. Then add in import tax, VAT, and increased overseas delivery/shipping.

With the UK's regulations, importing any guitar - custom made or otherwise - never saves you more than one or two hundred (at most), and of course if something goes wrong, you're then screwed...
I heard of some place in the UK....

Rant Guitars or something? They do good custom work for a decent price.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by bokuho
For £1500, you're not going to get a custom guitar from any brand. You're going to have to go to a local luthier. Look in the yellow pages, ask in any stores near you, etc - though I can tell you now, living in Bath (so sort of a Somerset lad myself), I've yet to come across anyone within even driving distance. Saving up several thousand and going to a big brand is about as good as it looks to get for us.

Additionally, I'd be surprised if an independent luthier could put together everything you want anyway, without having to charge you the same kind of price a brand would anyway. The more specific you are, the more these things cost; it might be a good idea for you to not order the guitar with whatever pickups, tuners and so on (easily fittable things), and then fit them yourself later.

EDIT: Yes, £1500 is too low for what you want. You could maybe get the basic guitar made for that much (this is assuming you want it to be an at least semi-decent quality job). Remember, standard gig-worthy off-the-shelf instruments cost usually £1000 at the lowest, and those are ones without any extra special stuff, and are mass-produced.
When I go to order from ESP's Custom Shop for example, I can be spending between £4,000 and £12,000 per instrument (though of course I'd never go through with an order of a £12,000 guitar - but they have quoted me as much as that in the past!). Now, that's a big brand, and a lone luthier will be cheaper, but even still, you can see the kind of money we're talking about. For a decent quality instrument that you could gig with, with thsoe things you want, I'd expect you'd need at least £2,000 for a bodge job, £2,500+ for a decent job.

Cheers that really helpful (sorry thats not ment to be sarcastic if it sound that way!). How much would I be saving if I just got the body finished with the mirror effect and all and routed for pick ups and the zvex? Would that still come out over £1.5k? I'm sure it can't be overly hard to fit the pick ups and the zvex and then order a clean neck and stuff.

Also I just remembered that if there's anywhere good in London (hell I'm sure there is I just don't know London that well) I'm gonna be spending a lot more time there so I can go that way too which is useful. I don't think going anywhere like Jackson or Fender for a custom would be a good idea, too big a company will probably lead to a less personal and thus worse job, but I could be wrong.
Quote by Azza Dutt
To those who are going to tell me to go make it myself, i would but I want it to be good and I would ruin it badly!.

Yeah the first time ain't easy
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
So what is that in american dollars? Judging by other posts maybe $3000? You could easily make your own warmoth guitar for that.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Quote by Azza Dutt
Problem is I live in the middle of nowhere and would have no idea where to look (England in Somerset). Only just found there's a guitar shop about 15 mins away from me!

Sabres when you say very, very expensive how much are we talking? Like over £2 grand, or what? Cause around £1.5k i could live with, just might take awhile to save up!

EDIT: Just thought is £1.5k a reasonable projected price for what I'm after? Or is my ignorance causing me to project far too low?

you could get a legra for that easily, but i'm not sure about the extras you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Theres a dude that posts on here from the UK that makes some pretty cool customs.. He has some vids up on youtube also.. I wish I could remember his name!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
Theres a dude that posts on here from the UK that makes some pretty cool customs.. He has some vids up on youtube also.. I wish I could remember his name!

If it comes back to you, or he sees this post! Cause that would be useful. Warmoth might be the way to go otherwise.

The exchange rate atm is a little over $1.9 to £1 so yea pretty much $3000.

Been looking around to see how hard it is to fit an internal fuzz factory and even possibly a Kaoss pad. Not sure on the Kaoss pad though. Shouldn't be too hard to do if needs must.

Keep coming up with more places to look and I'll check em out tomorrow I guess.

Yet again cheers for all the help.
Quote by sabres61
http://www.conklinguitars.com/index.html

very, very expensive, but well worth the money.

chris from Scale The Summit has a conklin 8 string...
It makes me want to jizz my pants
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^lol at that zakk sig...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi OP I am getting a JEM style guitar with a mirror top from Legra it came to £1655 incl case and overseas delivery. The mirror finish is about £150, Zvex about £150 and also the Fernandes about £150 or so. So you would be looking at maybe £1700 est. But damn you will not regret going custom. Heres a pic he sent me of a mirror tele that he may have done himself not sure.

Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Hi, I just jumped in to say that the mirror top Tele is one of mine and contrary to a lot of the opinion on this thread, small independent guitar makers can and do regularly beat the big guys on quality and price. I don't have a billion dollar marketing budget and a ten story office block full of tossers to support!

Cheers
Quote by Legra Guitars
Hi, I just jumped in to say that the mirror top Tele is one of mine and contrary to a lot of the opinion on this thread, small independent guitar makers can and do regularly beat the big guys on quality and price. I don't have a billion dollar marketing budget and a ten story office block full of tossers to support!

Cheers

Ha ha good to know mate! That tele is beautiful. The exact sorta thing I'm looking for. Check your email
Quote by Legra Guitars

Cheers

I have one, and I agree with bob. i haven't played an off-the-shelf guitar which is as nice as my legra (granted, it's sometimes hard to compare disparate styles, but from a general feel of quality and playability...). And I've played some pretty expensive guitars. You're getting up to 3, 4, 5 grand to even get close. And that's often with a much lesser spec (in terms of costs).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ran Guitars!! Check Them Out! Theyll Make Any Custom Guitar For You! They Do Amazing Work!
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Orange 1x12 Cab with Vintage 30's.
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11