Page 1 of 5
Ok, well I think some guitarists due to their genre are unfairly underrated. A ton of punk guitarists are amazing guitarists. I mean when I think of great guitarists I definitely think of Johnny Thunders, D.Boon, East Bay Ray, Billy Zoom, Cheetah Chrome, Ron Asheton, Paul Cripple. There's so many more. These guys are just as good as any metal or classic rock guitarist you'll hear. I think punk is unfairly stereotyped as having bad guitarists and musicians but once you listen to these guitarists there's no way you can say that. If this should be moved or closed mods, then do so. I just put it here because in the punk forum we all already know this, and I think the pit should be aware.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
+1 East Bay Ray
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
I agree. Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine are two of my favourite guitarists ever and are incredibly underrated. I think any guitarist can appreciate the guitar work on Marquee Moon and Adventure The same goes for Bob Mould and most Husker Du stuff.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
I agree. Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine are two of my favourite guitarists ever and are incredibly underrated. I think any guitarist can appreciate the guitar work on Marquee Moon and Adventure The same goes for Bob Mould and most Husker Du stuff.

How did I forget Tom Verlaine? I guess I don't really think of Television as traditionally punk, more post-punk. I don't know how that's possible, because they were before punk, but they have that post-punk sound.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Ok, well I think some guitarists due to their genre are unfairly underrated. A ton of punk guitarists are amazing guitarists. I mean when I think of great guitarists I definitely think of Johnny Thunders, D.Boon, East Bay Ray, Billy Zoom, Cheetah Chrome, Ron Asheton, Paul Cripple. There's so many more. These guys are just as good as any metal or classic rock guitarist you'll hear. I think punk is unfairly stereotyped as having bad guitarists and musicians but once you listen to these guitarists there's no way you can say that. If this should be moved or closed mods, then do so. I just put it here because in the punk forum we all already know this, and I think the pit should be aware.

Okay that was mean, sorry punk fans.

()
There's no such thing. Besides, punk music defines what music should be. Fun.
^Be ignorant, it's your lose anyway. I'm starting to realize this thread will just turn into a flame fest. At least listen to the bands before judging. The guitarists I listed can play with any metal or classic rock guitarists, they're actually better, imo.
Robert Quine.

I was surprised to see him on the Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists list.

Shame he did himself in.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by StreetLight3989
^Be ignorant, it's your lose anyway.

You're the one who's ignorant for saying punk guitarists are great. Obviously you haven't heard much music.
Quote by fob12
You're the one who's ignorant for saying punk guitarists are great. Obviously you haven't heard much music.

You're wrong buddy, give it up and listen to the bands.
Quote by denizenz
Can any of them sweep sixteenth note sextuplets at 120 BMP?

Who ****ing cares if they can do that, they still make awesome music that doesn't bore the **** out of me. They're great guitarists, and if you listen you can't deny.
Quote by StreetLight3989
^Be ignorant, it's your lose anyway. I'm starting to realize this thread will just turn into a flame fest. At least listen to the bands before judging. The guitarists I listed can play with any metal or classic rock guitarists, they're actually better, imo.

Johnny Ramone VS. Slash

OHHHHHHH it looks like slash just melted the face off of johnny ramone in 2 seconds.
wow you all are losers who are saying they only play powerchords. ever heard dave the ex-guitarist of sum41? that guy was beast. and even so, chords are the basis of all music.
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
I have had no problems. Mostly because I am Jesus.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Who ****ing cares if they can do that, they still make awesome music that doesn't bore the **** out of me. They're great guitarists, and if you listen you can't deny.

So anyone who makes great music is a great guitarist, or just music that you think is great?

Subjectivism sucks.
Alright, this is why I hate the pit. Listen to the guitarists I told you to. By the way, it's not as easy as you think to play bar chords that fast for a whole set the way Johnny Ramone did. You try it.

Quote by denizenz
So anyone who makes great music is a great guitarist, or just music that you think is great?

Subjectivism sucks.

You still haven't listened to the music.
Quote by StreetLight3989

No, they're not. They put random power chords together, and strum them really fast. The music is fun. It doesn't take any special talent to do that, because any beginner can do that. They make fun music which is what music is about, but if you want to talk about their skill level, they're at the bottom of the list. And I have listened to punk bands, and still do sometimes. There's no real skill involved.
Quote by StreetLight3989
How did I forget Tom Verlaine? I guess I don't really think of Television as traditionally punk, more post-punk. I don't know how that's possible, because they were before punk, but they have that post-punk sound.

Haha, I've always considered them a post-punk band but I always get get corrected when I call them that.

Anyway, given that the majority of the pit are close-minded metal-heads, I can't see this thread doing to well.

EDIT:
Quote by denizenz
Can any of them sweep sixteenth note sextuplets at 120 BMP?

This is precisely what I was talking about.
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Haha, I've always considered them a post-punk band but I always get get corrected when I call them that.

Anyway, given that the majority of the pit are close-minded metal-heads, I can't see this thread doing to well.

Closed minded? More like realistic.
Quote by fob12
No, they're not. They put random power chords together, and strum them really fast. The music is fun. It doesn't take any special talent to do that, because any beginner can do that. They make fun music which is what music is about, but if you want to talk about their skill level, they're at the bottom of the list. And I have listened to punk bands, and still do sometimes. There's no real skill involved.

Err no.

The amount of sheer ignorance in this thread astounds me.

This is why I really really really dislike most classic rock fans.
Decent punk guitarists?!

*reported* for such a stupid statment!

Only joking!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by DanRev
Err no.

The amount of sheer ignorance in this thread astounds me.

This is why I really really really dislike most classic rock fans.

Describe how they put the music together then, since I obviously know nothing about it.

And by the way, this is a discussion about the guitarists, not the songs themselves.
Quote by jambajews
if any punk guitarist does more than just power chords than id say them but since no1 does i say no1

Reasons I don't/won't believe your post:
1. You come across as if you have listened to ALL punk, which I doubt you have.
2. If you can't or won't even spell out no one, then I have a very low opinion of you as it is, not even counting your ignorance on #1.
Quote by FrosteeFresh
wow you all are losers who are saying they only play powerchords. ever heard dave the ex-guitarist of sum41? that guy was beast. and even so, chords are the basis of all music.

Lol what a dumbass. Arabic music is mostly homophonic meaning there are no chords. And the basis for Western music is the note and then the scale. Chords are derived from scales.
Last edited by symphonyX99 at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by fob12
Metal probably uses more power chords than punk does. Most punk bands use barre chords
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Billy Armstrong - His old stuff has a lot of good solos, he's not great, but not many punk bands even have solos. Though he's under-rated by a lot of guitarists his fans overrate him...by a lot.
Quote by jambajews
Johnny Ramone VS. Slash

OHHHHHHH it looks like slash just melted the face off of johnny ramone in 2 seconds.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure East Bay Ray could beat Angus Young.
two and a half men.
^If you don't listen to the guitarists I'll continue to call you ignorant, fob12.
Quote by StreetLight3989

You still haven't listened to the music.

Ya, just checked out East Bay Ray and the Dead Kennedy's...sucks ass and the guy is sporting one hell of a square hair do. He looks like Donald Trump but more nerdy.
Personally, I think there are great guitarist in all genres, and many great bassists. I love Punk though and find that most other music bores me and there are many great bassists and guitarists in Punk, look at NoFX, or Bad Religion, or the Clash. Just because they don't shred or show off too much doesn't mean they suck it means they have a different style then those other guitarists
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by PunkRocker33133
Personally, I think there are great guitarist in all genres, and many great bassists. I love Punk though and find that most other music bores me and there are many great bassists and guitarists in Punk, look at NoFX, or Bad Religion, or the Clash. Just because they don't shred or show off too much doesn't mean they suck it means they have a different style then those other guitarists

Punk is not a style. It is characterized by lacking of characteristics that create an original style.
Quote by StreetLight3989
^If you don't listen to the guitarists I'll continue to call you ignorant, fob12.

^wow.... so you'll leave us alone if we actually listen to it? okay I'll do it if you leave

<.<
>.>

*runs away and doesn't listen*
Quote by StreetLight3989
Show me some real talented punk guitarists, and I'll take back what I said. And, it doesn't matter if you call me ignorant, because what do I care what some guy on the internet thinks about me.
Quote by fob12
Closed minded? More like realistic.

Firstly I didn't state that all metal fans were close minded.

Secondly, what genres do you listen to or what other genres have you given a chance?
Page 1 of 5