Hey does anyone have any advice on palm muting and adding speed??
Primarily I am dealing with drop D

Specifically I want to know should I alternate pick on the palm mute?
If not, what style of picking should I use?
If so how do I get a consitent sound when I am picking across multiple palm muted strings?
Also how do I add speed (I am looking to get up in the 16th notes close to a 190 tempo for breakdowns) and get crisp sound out of it. When I try to play faster it tends to muddle and blend all together?

And lastly is there any drills or specific things I should work on?

Thanks
Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief.
Find some songs that you like that use palm muting at the speed you want and practice the hell out of them. Try and use alternate strokes whenever possible but sometimes all downs give you the sound you're looking for.
PRACTISE. slow steady movements so that your body will retain the information. then slowly build up tempo MAKING SURE that you are relaxed and executing notes cleanly. eventually you body will remember what the action was that one day you will pick up the guitar and play at 190 and faster no troubles. This practise method works for any guitar lick at any speed for any technique. Perseverance my friend

oh and i always downpick if the time sig is in 8ths. (i.e master of puppets) but alternate if the sig is 16ths. up to you but i like the chunky sound you get from downstroke picking, that and people won't think your lazy lol.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
any string. doesnt matter where u are on the guitar its still palm muting.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic