Yeah, I have one.

You see, a few months ago, I swapped my stock INF brige bucker in my RG321Mh with an EMG81. I didn't do it myself - I had a friend do it for me, so I don't know what he might have done wrong.

But here is the problem: Some times when I plug the guitar in, there is either no sound, or the sound of an EMG with a dead battery. This happens very rarely though, and the last times it did that, I just unplugged and plugged it in again a couple of times and it seemed to work. But now, the sound is completely ****ed. I plug in the cable, and I can hear noises when the volume pot reaches it's far ends. If I only plug it half ways in, It becomes a batteryless EMG (you know, that dead kind of sound). I don't know if this is going to be fixed all by itself like it has done the last couple of times, but I can NOT afford to have this happen during a gig. That is way too unreliable for me..

The guy who did the pickup swap says he has no idea of what might be wrong and has never encountered this problem before. Do you know what's wrong? Could it just be the input jack that need replacement?
Did he alter the wiring so that it could take a mix of passive and active pickups, or did he just install it as you would a passive pickup?
ive had a similar problem with my guitar. i dont have and EMG 81 mine are passive. but it turned out my input jack was messed up or something so the guy Re-sodered the input jacks wire and now it works fine. that might be the case but i cant be certain so dont go tearing that apart lol just take a look at it.
Maybe he soldered it crappy?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
It a pickup that runs on batteries, and its making the sound of a pickup with a dead battery?

I didn't see anywhere that you tried a new battery.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
The battery is not the problem here, the exact same thing has happened a month ago, and it worked fine until now. With a dead battery there would still be the sound of a dead battery, and it doesn't just go BOOM - empty.

So no, the battery is not the issue.

blue_strat: He wired it so that the neck pickup is now ineffective, making the pickup selector swtich work like a killswitch, I like it that way. There are no split possibilities on the guitar.

edit: oh, and the guy who wired it knows what he's doing, he has years of experience. Him wiring it crappy doesn't make sense unless he might have been drunk while doing it...
Did he put the stereo jack in it. A stereo jack will disconnect the batt when the cable is unplugged. A regular jack will run the batt down really fast. And did he change the pots to the 25ks instead of passive 250 or 500k pots.
Quote by Tackleberry
Did he put the stereo jack in it. A stereo jack will disconnect the batt when the cable is unplugged. A regular jack will run the batt down really fast. And did he change the pots to the 25ks instead of passive 250 or 500k pots.

^

Was actually just about to ask the same thing
Ibanez RG2EX2 (w. EMG 81/85)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60w DSP Tube
Ashdown Fallen Angel 412 Cab