Hey Guys,

As the title says I am looking for an amp for <=$400 which will get me as close to a Guns n' Roses type sound as possible. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I am currently using a friends VOX Valvetronic amp which for some reason I can't find a setting I like on. It always sounds a little dirty to me when I want some gain. I want the nice clean sounds like you hear in the intro to Sweet Child. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Well Slash used a Vintage Marshall 1959 on Appetite, but he uses his own signature Marshall on stage. I'd go with the Marshall Vintage Modern or JVM.
Also, he apparently turned his neck pickup upside down to get that tone in sweet child.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Word in the GG&A forum is that the new Blackhearts will get you that sort of British Voiced sound. Or a Laney. Seriously, ask in there and you'll get a bunch of good answers. Basically you need a British Voiced Tube Amp.
Quote by Ichimaru
Well Slash used a Vintage Marshall 1959 on Appetite, but he uses his own signature Marshall on stage. I'd go with the Marshall Vintage Modern or JVM.
Also, he apparently turned his neck pickup upside down to get that tone in sweet child.

What? Im no GnR fan, but i know for a fact that the amp he used was a JCM 800. Also, I am pretty sure he didn't turn his neck pickup upside down, as he was using a borrowed guitar at the time. Also, if you want his tone and can afford it, get a JCM 800. It will nail the tone perfectly, the JVM and VM i find to be kind of thin.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Don't forget that the JCM 800 Slash used on AFD was modded by a guy in LA, which gave it that lovely midrange boost.

Hes never really got that tone again.....because his roadie at the time gave the amp back to the hire company they were hiring it from, even though Slash was trying to keep it lol.

Word is George Lynch used the very same amp on one of his albums before Slash got it......

Ps i have the Vox AD30 and i can get some lovely sounds outta it, some very close to Slashs.

Have you tried using a 7band eq, Slash uses one to boost his solos.
Also, I have a nice treble booster which really brings my Epi LP and AD30 to life
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Chavette by Charvel guitar (HSS)
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
hes using the ad30vt not the ad 30 and i reccomend a crate palmino or valveking, also try a blackheart and a valve jr
Ad30 and Ad30VT are the same thing.
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Orange Tiny Terror is worth looking into
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Predator 182
Don't forget that the JCM 800 Slash used on AFD was modded by a guy in LA, which gave it that lovely midrange boost.

Hes never really got that tone again.....because his roadie at the time gave the amp back to the hire company they were hiring it from, even though Slash was trying to keep it lol.

Word is George Lynch used the very same amp on one of his albums before Slash got it......

Ps i have the Vox AD30 and i can get some lovely sounds outta it, some very close to Slashs.

Have you tried using a 7band eq, Slash uses one to boost his solos.
Also, I have a nice treble booster which really brings my Epi LP and AD30 to life

Lot of history behind the amp!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Yea, there is indeed.

I read it on an official Slash site. The sad thing is the hire shop cannot trace where the amp went after they got it back off Slash
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Ah, man! That would suck!!!! Modding ,and by dumb luck, make an epic amp and then loose it.

Sheeeesh!.... Id hate to be that guy.
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
Yea!
I don't even think the shop know the serial number to trace it or if they even have the slightest idea where the amp ended up.
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Quote by Ichimaru

Recently, he uses the Vintage Modern along with a Slash Jubilee.

During the Appetite Recording, he used a modded JCM800. But back in Guns N' Roses, used only Marshall Silver Jubilees.

Today, he uses the Marshall Vintage Modern + a Marshall Slash Jubilee (basicly a Silver Jub) for the Dirty sound. Two Marshall Silver Jubilees for his cleans, and I think, either one or two Slash Signatures for the Talk Box. Possibly a JCM800 instead of 2 for the talk box.

I'm trying to get a Slash tone too, so I'm saving for a JCM800!!