not sure which forum this goes in, but anyway

for sound production at college iv decided that for my project im going to experiment with different mics and different mic placements. Im doing the hnc so i do know quite a bit about this subject

im gonna be as experimental as possible!

and that includes the whole metallica recording out the back of an opened back cab.

i come to the pit for more suggestions!
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
that vids pretty basic

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
Quote by akaDan
DI? \o/

thats blasphemy!!!
just to clarify il be using studios at college which have really good gear

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
Quote by mickyd
thats blasphemy!!!
just to clarify il be using studios at college which have really good gear

You could try experimenting with atmospheric mics to make the recording more dynamic, e.g. mic up an amp in a basic set up then add an overhead mic or another mic a few feet behind the first to get a more dynamic sound.
Quote by GiantRaven
6 inches from the speaker slightly offset to the left or right

That is a good place to start

Also, the further you place it to the left/right of the center the phatter the sound, move closer to the center to get more highs, but never directly in the center.

Also If you record out of the back of a cab at the same time as recording from the front, and intend to play them both at the same time, your going to have to invert one of the waveforms so that they don't cancel each other out.
Quote by rizo299
Also, the further you place it to the left/right of the center the phatter the sound, move closer to the center to get more highs, but never directly in the center.

thats still pretty basic stuff, but i like the way yous are thinking lol
akadan i was thinking about more than just the room mic, i like the idea of the overhead above the amp, put that on omni then it might get a cool room sound

another one i was thinkin was putting 6 mics around the amp like a circle ahhh the phase problems that will cause, il have to get the measuring tape out for that!

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
Not sure how 'experimental' this is, but anyway...

I was in the studio with a guy who was laying down some guitar tracks once. He fed his guitar into his (pretty sweet) amp and then split the signal into two separate cabs (one a Marshall and the other custom-made), which were in separate soundproof rooms. Basically, he perfectly double-tracked the guitar in one take. Because of the different natures of the different cabs, the sounds were entirely independent and sounded great individually. Once he mixed them both together and applied different effects, EQ etc. to the two tracks, it sounded phenomenal.

You could try something like that. Dunno if it's exactly what you want, but do know it sounded amazing.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Use the room you record in! for a really sick guitar sound use a Shure SM7B mic (if you have one available) for your amp, then maybe 6-10 feet directly in front of the amp put a baffle there. Then behind the baffle use a good condenser mic to capture the room sounds. group those channels together and there you have it.
no dice.
Quote by mickyd
not sure which forum this goes in, but anyway

for sound production at college iv decided that for my project im going to experiment with different mics and different mic placements. Im doing the hnc so i do know quite a bit about this subject

im gonna be as experimental as possible!

and that includes the whole metallica recording out the back of an opened back cab.

i come to the pit for more suggestions!

Sorry i can't be any help, are you doing sound production at perth?
Bass Player
Quote by Deek_13
Sorry i can't be any help, are you doing sound production at perth?

in glenrothes, much better gear there best place to do it!

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger