i have read damn near every thread and article and lesson there is on sweeping. could some one please explain to me in vivid detail how to do them. i know an ass of patterns, and im sure im fast enough, but i cant get them to sound clean, or stop the last note i hit from ringing HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey, i have that same problem. i have the speed and stuff, i just can't get a clean sound.

one thing i've been trying though is to not use as much distortion so it comes out cleaner.
how much distortion do you use exactly?
There should only be one finger toughing the fretboard at a time to stop notes from ringing. Also, you've got to make sure your fretting every note perfectly so you need to slow it way down and concentrate on these things, making sure you don't increase your speed until everything is perfect.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
alright, if you've heard everything on sweeping, then you should start off with one pattern at a time. Keep your action supra low, almost to the point of fret buzz without distortion, remeber almost. Now for your first couple times to get an edge on things play with the pickup switch on the neck postion, if your guitar doesn't have that feature then i would suggest, for the first bit, to increase the bass and mids just a smidge on your amp, that should keep your sound smoother. As for distortion you don't have to turn it down. and that one dude is right do one finger at a time and start very slowly, it takes a long time to learn how to sweep, it took me about a month to learn it. Start with three string sweeps, then each week add a new string. What i notice when i sweep that is natural for me is that as i sweep down my thumb (the midjiont part or the longer part of the thumb, between the joints) touches each string right after i play it as a mute. And then same when you sweep up. It keeps my sweeps clean. Remeber that you don't have to press the strings hard at all just lightly glide over each string, as tighter and not as lose hands can deeply decrease your speed. Each time you practice remeber, this is the hardest part of sweeping, is to keep both your hands in line with one another. Now go and own sweeping dude!
Practice more and slower, you can try muting the strings with your palm too.
The hardest part of sweeping is muting. Once you get going really fast it can sometimes be awkward to mute the strings. Just take your time with it. Sweeping is one of those techniques you hear about that takes an hour to learn but a life time to master.
Quote by Kentris.5
How do you mute properly?

Read:
There should only be one finger toughing the fretboard at a time to stop notes from ringing. Also, you've got to make sure your fretting every note perfectly so you need to slow it way down and concentrate on these things, making sure you don't increase your speed until everything is perfect.

alright, if you've heard everything on sweeping, then you should start off with one pattern at a time. Keep your action supra low, almost to the point of fret buzz without distortion, remeber almost. Now for your first couple times to get an edge on things play with the pickup switch on the neck postion, if your guitar doesn't have that feature then i would suggest, for the first bit, to increase the bass and mids just a smidge on your amp, that should keep your sound smoother. As for distortion you don't have to turn it down. and that one dude is right do one finger at a time and start very slowly, it takes a long time to learn how to sweep, it took me about a month to learn it. Start with three string sweeps, then each week add a new string. What i notice when i sweep that is natural for me is that as i sweep down my thumb (the midjiont part or the longer part of the thumb, between the joints) touches each string right after i play it as a mute. And then same when you sweep up. It keeps my sweeps clean. Remeber that you don't have to press the strings hard at all just lightly glide over each string, as tighter and not as lose hands can deeply decrease your speed. Each time you practice remeber, this is the hardest part of sweeping, is to keep both your hands in line with one another. Now go and own sweeping dude!
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by White_Devil

Does that mean it's still OK if you're fingers are just on the strings, but not on the fretboard?