I play a Gibson SG, my bridge pickup is cutting out a lot, I've checked the hook-ups in the guitar and nothing is wrong. Come to think of it I wasn't really happy with the sound of it anyway. I have the pickups in it that the factory shipped it with a 490T and 490R. I don't want to change the neck pickup, but the bridge one has to go.

I play metal and blues mostly. What do you think i should do?
Duncan Custom 5...there's nothing wrong with your pickup incdentally, it's just dodgy wiring.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 14, 2008,
what amp, and what country are you in (affects prices, and hence recommendations)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bet he's in the US...somewhere around, um, Ohio...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I have a Spider III amp (for practice) and a Laney half-stack for gigging. USA. and if it helps i play from bands like Megadeth, Opeth, Dream Theater, SRV, Testament, etc.
these *&$@ing profiles are the work of the devil. no joke.

why would you fill in your location in your profile, but not your forum profile?

EDIT: what laney?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you're just pissed because you lack my keen investigative skills

u fail at Colombo
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

TT50H, and if you noticed my profile i only joined on Jan 1, and it wasn't a life or death thing so i just didn't fill it out
Quote by steven seagull
you're just pissed because you lack my keen investigative skills

u fail at Colombo

eh, if they didn't tell you who did it at the start, i bet columbo couldn't figure out who did it either.

it's a conspiracy!

Quote by dimeml_13
TT50H, and if you noticed my profile i only joined on Jan 1, and it wasn't a life or death thing so i just didn't fill it out

i was only joking. tt50's a nice amp (at least the 100 i tried was nice).

i'd normally advise on a mid-high bridge pickup for what you want... problem is, those aren't meant to work so well in SGs. I haven't tried this myself, but from what i hear, it's the case.

I'd probably go high output in the bridge, and lower output in the neck, for more versatility- though that will tend to mess up the middle position. do you have any budget for the pickups?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gibson Burstbucker Pro's do the blues thing extremely well and are capable of metal though the low end is generally not a tight as some of the higher output options. Look into Bare Knuckle pickups, it's very hard for me to not recommend them as I've had nothing but great results from their products.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I'd go with active... Emg's sound so good in an SG. Although if you want passive i'd go for the evo's. But I can't go back to passive. I tried it. Didn't work out. lol
Quote by paranormal5150
I'd go with active... Emg's sound so good in an SG. Although if you want passive i'd go for the evo's. But I can't go back to passive. I tried it. Didn't work out. lol

If you are basing your passive knowledge on you dimebucker, go try some nice passives and see if you have the same perspective.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
If you are basing your passive knowledge on you dimebucker, go try some nice passives and see if you have the same perspective.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
eh, if they didn't tell you who did it at the start, i bet columbo couldn't figure out who did it either.

it's a conspiracy!

Sir! Oh sir! Just...one more thing...

i was only joking. tt50's a nice amp (at least the 100 i tried was nice).

i'd normally advise on a mid-high bridge pickup for what you want... problem is, those aren't meant to work so well in SGs. I haven't tried this myself, but from what i hear, it's the case.

I'd probably go high output in the bridge, and lower output in the neck, for more versatility- though that will tend to mess up the middle position. do you have any budget for the pickups?

The Custom 5 has a pretty flat EQ curve, might even be a tad scooped, hence my recommendation
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

+1

I didn't realize what a piece of sh1t the dimebucker was until I installed an alnico II pro in my razorback. It's so much sweeter and warmer now.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by steven seagull
Sir! Oh sir! Just...one more thing...

haha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?