Page 1 of 2
I'm a lefty who plays guitar like a right-handed person. Why are people so shocked when they hear this? Is it so weird? I personally can't used left-handed guitars. I find them to be really bad ripoffs.
a friend of mine is a lefty and plays right handed. She does so because you have far more guitars to choose from when you're looking for right handed guitars. Plus they are usually cheaper.
Quote by Noitalevier
I find them to be really bad ripoffs.

Each to their own, but my Aria STG-004 is luvverly.
I forced myself, it was naturally uncomfortable at first. I just couldn't afford a lefty guitar.
Duane Allman did, but Hendrix flipped over his strings, Duane didn't.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
I have 2 friends who are the same, one isnt that great, learns very slowly and doesnt seem to do very much, and one who is a crazy shredder with incredible left hand dexterity and huge picking speed
I play righty and I'm a lefty. When I was learning many moons ago I had a choice, why not learn like my heroes?
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Do you mean you play with like a normal right handed person or you play a right handed guitar like a lefty?
congrats TS... thats one thing you and Herman Li have in common!
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Yeah i'm one of those,
i actually think its better because you have more movement with your fretting hand.
thats just me though
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
I do that too, it's just growing up strumming meh brother's guitar. I do a lot of things this way, archery, pool, cricket etc.
i write left, play right handed... so what? yay me?
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
I'm left handed and play guitar, but it's just what was comfortable to me at first.

That's what I thought too. I can't play left-handed guitars. xD But, I saw 2 almost identical guitar, only one was left-handed and the lefty guitar costs more than 100 more! That's evil. >_<
i never knew there were things as left handed guitars so I don't mind playing.

it's how you learned how to play so no biggie.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
congrats TS... thats one thing you and Herman Li have in common!

Yay! If that's true.
aye, i do too, i find it really weird trying to play left handed guitars. thing is, i can move my left hand really fast and cant keep up with the pciking
PSN: Noverion
Quote by Noverion
aye, i do too, i find it really weird trying to play left handed guitars. thing is, i can move my left hand really fast and cant keep up with the pciking

Same here. It's kinda uncomfortable using a pick for me.
I figure they don't have left-handed pianos, violins, saxophones, or any other instruments.
It's really just an example of how commercial guitar as an instrument has become.

Also, I'm a lefty. I play right-handed, because I played several other instruments first (including string instruments) and I was already comfortable in a right-handed setup.
I consider it an advantage to have my stronger hand doing the fretting, anyway.
Quote by millerdrr
you caught me making a mistake on extremely basic theory, WHILE making a mistake regarding corporate philosophy. you earned the bag, and you single-handedly force me to retract all of my "Canada Blows" propaganda. you>me
There are a lot of people. My guitar teacher, 2 other dudes I know (I forget their names), and Duane Allman did.
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
yeah, I'm a lefty who playes righty... I think i do it because; a) it's cheaper, and b) I'm ambidextrous(sp?), so I feel more comfortable playing guitar righty
Quote by LuckyBoys91
yeah, I'm a lefty who playes righty... I think i do it because; a) it's cheaper, and b) I'm ambidextrous(sp?), so I feel more comfortable playing guitar righty

Someone post the Star Trek facepalm?
Quote by millerdrr
you caught me making a mistake on extremely basic theory, WHILE making a mistake regarding corporate philosophy. you earned the bag, and you single-handedly force me to retract all of my "Canada Blows" propaganda. you>me
I'm left handed for everything expect guitar. But it's not like I forced myself or anything, I couldn't play lefty if my life depended on it.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
I'm left handed but play a right handed guitar, I find it easier with my fret work, but my picking has been a little tough to work with.

I can't play left handed worth ****, but I will learn one day

There was a guy in a Guitar Player magazine and he's a great blues guitar who plays a lefty switched, but he keeps the strings the same
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
I use my left hand for every single thing, im just a hardcore lefty.

But I use normal guitars... which feels more natrual. I can use my left hand which is faster, and stronger. I need it for fretting. And picking righty is simple... I use stuff like baseball gloves on my right hand all the time so im not that bad with it.
Quote by TDKshorty
There was a guy in a Guitar Player magazine and he's a great blues guitar who plays a lefty switched, but he keeps the strings the same

Doyle Bramhall II?
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
I see absolutely no point in having a left-handed guitar. Violins, violas, cellos, basses, sitars, etc are all played the same way; each way has it's advantage. While right handed people may have an easier time strumming, lefties might have more precision and efficiency with finger placement, vibrato, the likes
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by bananacrumpcake
Someone post the Star Trek facepalm?

Heres a better one

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
I write with my left, throw a ball (probably badly haha) with my right and play a guitar in the "standard right hand" position.

Personally I think it has benefits, but what do I know. I thought it was rare, perhaps not.
Quote by thefuzz454
Doyle Bramhall II?

maybe, he looks more like an old metal guitarist than a blues guitarist, but he's good

kind of big
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by Vince Noir
Heres a better one

touche.
Quote by millerdrr
Quote by bananacrumpcake
I figure they don't have left-handed pianos, violins, saxophones, or any other instruments.
It's really just an example of how commercial guitar as an instrument has become.

Also, I'm a lefty. I play right-handed, because I played several other instruments first (including string instruments) and I was already comfortable in a right-handed setup.
I consider it an advantage to have my stronger hand doing the fretting, anyway.

Sorry to correct you, but lefty violins (and other strings) DO exist.
i'm a lefty who plays righty now that i've been playing for four years i can't go back to play lefty it's not right.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
im left handed, play right handed, simply becuase when i picked up my first guitar (a £20 classical guitar from argos lol) i started to play it the way a left handed guitar would be played, and my guitar teacher told me it was the 'wrong way to play it' , i suppose he was half right
Page 1 of 2