Hey guys, I'm new here at these forums, I'm very impressed and excited about it.

I am having a problem with learning new scales and playing in styles of different guitarists (Dave Davies of the Kinks mainly) and I need help with what scales I should try to be learning for classic rock, hard rock, and major blues. I know the pentatonic minor blues scale, and I can improvise on it very well, but it gets tiring and boring playing the same licks over and over. Any suggestions?

Also with Dave Davies, what scales did he use mainly?

Thanks for the help in advance
most rock and blues songs are in major or (mostly) minor pentatonic scales. I think you're getting bored with it because you're using the same shape every time (im assuming). If you move up and down the fretboard you can get inspired by some different feeling under your fingers instead of 12----15, 12-13-14, 12---14, 12---14...etc. Just a suggestion. You can also kind of melt the major scale in with a minor pentatonic to add a little more flavor. The better you know the scales (the more subconscious you can be about playing) the easier it will be add color to something that has obviously become something mechanical to you. Hope you understand what im saying.
Quote by illtrixtaj
most rock and blues songs are in major or (mostly) minor pentatonic scales. I think you're getting bored with it because you're using the same shape every time (im assuming). If you move up and down the fretboard you can get inspired by some different feeling under your fingers instead of 12----15, 12-13-14, 12---14, 12---14...etc. Just a suggestion. You can also kind of melt the major scale in with a minor pentatonic to add a little more flavor. The better you know the scales (the more subconscious you can be about playing) the easier it will be add color to something that has obviously become something mechanical to you. Hope you understand what im saying.

I understand perfectly, thank you. The problem I have is that when I try different positions, I can't figure out licks. I can't figure out how to incoorperate major with minor and make melodies. Its very hard for me, being a self taught player, and only learning by ear, to understand theory and positions.
Last edited by Requiem778 at Feb 14, 2008,
Open a free account with www.jamstudio.com

That way you'll learn how various licks sound on different basic chords. And it transposes keys for you. Easy as pie to use. Good lesson on the power of basic chords to form easy songs.

Scales are the snakes and ladders of the fretboard and while very important for writing music they are not - in themselves - ready made songs (or even part of songs). Most people learn to riff and solo on chords and progress to employing scales later. Naturally if you learn to play other people's music (from TABS, etc.) then the scales (if they are employed) are included and all you have to do is follow the score.

Stand by me it will make more sense as you progress - because the logic and mathematics of music hasn't anything to compare it to in the outside world. Everybody is confused until they can play well enough to see the logic for themselves.
Stop showing off and play the music!
You need to start thinking in terms of notes, not frets, and use your ears more. Lean more about the scales and intervals themselves , how they sound and how they fit together, as opposed to simply learning the patterns and boxes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com