So report cards have been handed out, and unlike you lucky children who get your pick of guitar when you get a 90, I have gotten a 67 in Math. My parents are livid, and I am now stupid and worthless. They are threatening to take my guitar from me, because according to my mom, "Guitar gets you nowhere." I'm not mathematically inclined and I do well in other English oriented areas.

How do I prevent them from making good on their decision to take my guitar away? What would you do? (Don't say study harder, Math just isn't in my blood.)
Tell them it enhances your creative thinking, thus making you think harder in math..

I got my bass taken away cause I got low grades.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
i get 90s but i dont get new guitars but gettng a tutor would help
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Not being good at something is not an excuse not to try harder...and never will be. Nobody is good when they start playing guitar...what's the point in starting if you're just going to quit whenever you feel you're not doing well? Same applies to school...required or not.
just explain to them that music stimulates the brain. Music an math are both operated by the left? side of the brain, so music wil help you in math by utilizing the same part of the brain used for math.
You don't have to "have Math in your blood" to get a decent grade in the class. Do the homework and stuff, it's really not that hard.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Heres what your gonna do. Your gonna start doing your homework in math and aim for a C. If you're already doing your homework, pay more attention while doing. It's just like practicing guitar, it doesnt matter how much you practice if your hearts not in it.
Basically, im saying to pay more attention when your doing your homework. If that doesnt work, I know a guy who can get rid of them for you.
my parents are always supportive of my rocking

but seriously, if you have a band, guitar can get you EVERYTHING

ask your parents if they can help you though
if they're as anti-music as they sound, theyre probaly really smart lol
just let them take your guitar away for a bit then start doing really bad in school then theyll be like ok i guess you do need your guitar
Quote by Imalius
just let them take your guitar away for a bit then start doing really bad in school then theyll be like ok i guess you do need your guitar

Not exactly a long term solution, but if it gets the job done....
Quote by Imalius
You know, probably not.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Work harder at school.
Go to college.
Work hard at college.
Go to university.
Work hard at university.
Get a good job.
Buy your own sodding guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Work harder at school.
Go to college.
Work hard at college.
Go to university.
Work hard at university.
Get a good job.
Buy your own sodding guitar.

That's a lot harder than it sounds, you know.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
That's a lot harder than it sounds, you know.

Yes it is.

But spending the rest of your life working at Subway is harder.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Iceman 420
Show them you're not Asian?

Well, you do know your stereotypes.

Math honestly won't do anything for me. I need to go in the direction of my strengths, and no one can force me to do well in Math; I'd like to, but things don't click, even with extra help.
Quote by metallifan1
just explain to them that music stimulates the brain. Music an math are both operated by the left? side of the brain, so music wil help you in math by utilizing the same part of the brain used for math.

^
actually studies have shown kids who play an instrument are better at math... so listen to this guy
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
^ Oh my God, I must be a terrible guitarist, since I SUCK at math. I'm terrible.

Maybe if I play more, I'll become better...

EDIT: as of now, I'm too scared to touch my guitar. I'm afraid I'll be screamed at and my poor guitar broken in front of me. They're really mad.
it can only really take you so far what type of math are you doing some types of math can get realy hard... im taking algebra for the second time this year and im actually still doing crappy thats becasue i dont put in effort.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
it can only really take you so far what type of math are you doing some types of math can get realy hard... im taking algebra for the second time this year and im actually still doing crappy thats becasue i dont put in effort.

Well, it was Data Management; the thing is, I could've probably gotten a 75+, but you should see my teacher. She is...not competent, to put it nicely. I taught what I knew to myself. Even worse, I have to retake this course next year and tack on an Advanced Functions class. Damn.
Quote by bgmaggot07
High School isn't hard.

College/University is easier.

Are you speaking from experience? What courses did you take? Some can be immensely challenging, or so I've heard. I'd like to know so I can gauge what you mean by "easier". I only have trouble with numbers. The rest I can do quite well.
Well, generally when you pick your focus/major or whatever they call it it won't include too much from other non-focus areas.

I, for example, hate English classes, literature etc. I majored in Computer Science. I only had to take two intro writing classes and one intro literature class. The instructors pretty much hold your hand and help you along if you just ask for help.

Aside from that, 90% of the time the instructors (be it grad students of Professors) are actually good at teaching material, unlike High School. You also don't have the class clowns, idiots, etc etc disrupting class, asking to go to the bathroom and whatever. And classes are only twice or three times a week, whatever part of the day you chose. Attendance isn't always mandatory, homework doesn't count for 90% of your grade (God I hated high school!).

I could go on, but you probably get the idea.

As far as what you've heard about it being hard, High Schools like to "prepare" you for college by making it seem way worse than it is. I suppose saying it's "easier" is a misconception, better to say it's less stressful. You're given far more responsibility, reading outside class and stuff like that, but it's no nightmare 20 page papers like they lead you to believe.
Last edited by bgmaggot07 at Feb 14, 2008,
I know this is going way off thread (please don't close this, anyone) but what are your opinions on careers after finishing post secondary? Is college just as good as university? I really want to get into writing.
Not sure about Writing, as I said, it's my least favorite subject.

As far as differences between college/university, here in the states they're the same thing. I don't know how it is in Canada. Perhaps your "college" is something like our associate colleges or junior colleges with two year degrees and whatnot. I honestly don't know and (no offense) don't really care to look it up.
Quote by Quantonyne
luckily i never had this problem....i was getting bad grades before i ever played guitar...so once i started they were cool with it...

but i am smart...i just never gave a siht.

im the exact same way!

in 8th grade we all took iq tests and i scored a 161 and all the teachers were blown away because my grades were always awful... infact they still are pretty bad lol but im a senior so i dont give a ****

"its not that im lazy... its that i just dont care"

~ office space
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
haha, dude, if you're in geometry or algebra 1 or something, hell, I ain't got nothing to do, just give me the problems and I'll just give you the answers to your homework or something...alg1 and geo are very easy, but alg2.....I got a 20 something in there now...not cause I'm stupid, I just don't give a damn at all anymore.
Originally Posted by: Colgate Total
"Trim and lube your nut, and your g string should fit in just fine with no friction".
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well, you do know your stereotypes.

Math honestly won't do anything for me. I need to go in the direction of my strengths, and no one can force me to do well in Math; I'd like to, but things don't click, even with extra help.

dude you're just lazy, of course its not gonna click right away for you. Hell, it may take you a lot longer than the average person, you just need to study more and try harder. Like it or not that's the truth. While you may never need to take calculus of differential algebra in your life (unless you want to be a an engineer) math is an extremely important subject of study for any real job you get later in life. If you're not well rounded you're cutting yourself off from many opportunities. Saying "math isn't in your blood" is just an excuse for being lazy. I used to be the same way with writing, but I just studied my ass of and practiced until I was able to write the way I wanted to.
Quote by metallifan1

music uses all 5 parts of the brain math uses 2-3
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah