Page 1 of 2
Okay so today I went and auditioned for my school's jazz band and I swear I spent 15 minutes in the room and i already hated the teacher. Ok so i go in and grab my guitar and he sets up the amp that the school has and i sit down and warm up. He pulls out some sheet music and has me sight read. I play the lines cleanly and play the chords correctly as fast as my mind could comprehend them and he's like "Ok, good". So then he takes the sheet music away and tells me to play something I think he'll like, so i play Fly Me To The Moon. I finish and he says i did good and that he likes my sound...this is when it went down the drain.

He asks me if i have a 7th period and i told him no. Then he tells me that everyone who joins his jazz band has to join marching band as well. This means i'd have a 7th and an 8th period which means i wouldnt get out of school until around 5 pm. Meanwhile im taking 4 AP classes which are really taking up my time. After he says this to me, he says that I would have to take some jazz lessons because my chord voicing isn't really suitable for jazz (which i would have to pay for by the way...). Then he tells me that if I do join marching band i'd have to find an instrument to play in that as well. This means i'd have to buy or rent another instrument that i have no knowledge of and learn it (again by taking lessons that i would have to pay for). Along with paying for all of this i would have to buy the marching band outfit which is like 300 dollars if i remember correctly. Throughout the entire discussion he didnt let me talk to explain what I thought about each requirement. I just told him to let me think about it and i'll let him know on tuesday.

So far my decision is no. I know he needs a guitarist because the keyboard that usually lays down chords behind the band is never there, sucks and also plays another instrument in some songs. So i think that im just going to tell him to go to hell and if he really needs me then he has to make it convenient for me. All i ask for is to simply not join marching band. I dont mind paying the jazz guitar lessons if he still thinks ill need it but im not willing to pay for a new instrument and take lessons for that too. Personally, i think the guy comes off as this holier than thou band elitist douche.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: For the record, I understand chord voicings and inversions and all of that. I told him this and that i am going to take some theory classes this summer in order to fully understand everything and he just kind of scoffed and ignored what i said.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Last edited by jpgilbert701 at Feb 14, 2008,
Well I actually did read all of that, and it seems pretty unfair. Talk to him about it and ask if you can just join the jazz band without joining the marching band and learning another instrument. If that doesn't work, than just tell him no.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Marching band is worth it in my opinion. Join pit or something. That doesn't require lessons.

Try negociating with him, if that doesn't worth out.. screw it.

To know another is to know a universe of others...
Sometimes a soul must wander to truly know it is home.

Andrew McMahon
sounds to me like tough ****. i had to do the same thing when i joined jazz band at my high school. buckle down and do what you gotta do. 4 AP Classes? I thought the maximum you could take in a year was 3. I'm currently taking 2 right now, but that's irrelevant. It's a test of character really. It's up to you, but stuff like that looks good in the long run.

You should learn trumpet. It's not that hard.
Hmmm harsh making you pay for the marching band uniform =/
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Quote by jpgilbert701

EDIT: For the record, I understand chord voicings and inversions and all of that. I told him this and that i am going to take some theory classes this summer in order to fully understand everything and he just kind of scoffed and ignored what i said.

You must not understand jazz voicings. It's much harder than the conventional classical voicings that are more widely used. The jazz learning curve is ridiculous.
Just be polite TS, and no matter what the decision, you are a winner.

If you start being rude you will look like a dick, and inside, be a dick as well.
OMG TEH SKOOL HAS TEH RULZ I DUNT LIEK WAHT A DOOSH!

Seriously, if you don't want to meet the requirements, don't. It doesn't make the person telling you them is a douche.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
band teachers are always douches. why? because too many people realize that school band of any kind is extremely overrated. so they make the few people they do have do as much as possible. and then some. a few of my friends were in band, ended up slippin in all their classes because of the ungodly schedule, and quit.
the game
Quote by bendystraw
he isn't a douche. he has requirements for the school band.

I understand that he has requirements but i expect the requirements for jazz band to be strictly for jazz band. I dont appreciate this fine print crap that he pulls out on students. I know why he wants more people to join the band but maybe if he didnt have all of these extra requirements then maybe more people would join and enjoy playing music. If you want to join jazz band then there's requirements and the same goes for marching band but there shouldnt be this package deal.
Quote by csn00b
How exactly is he a douche?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
i think he might have been doing that because your not actually IN the band program at all.
Quote by kiss zombies
Marching band is worth it in my opinion. Join pit or something. That doesn't require lessons.

Try negociating with him, if that doesn't worth out.. screw it.

Yeah marching band is really fun. If you really don't want to learn a new instrument (if you do choose a woodwind instrument- sax or flute is recommended... they're easy!), then you can always join the drill team.

Although this does seem quite unfair... if you don't think that you can handle the requirements (4 AP classes at a time and now you gotta do this crap ), then don't do it. You don't want to bust your ass just to join jazz band.

In my opinion, it's not really worth it. If you're joining jazz band just for the fine arts credit, don't. There are better classes you could take if you're just interested in the credit. However, if it's something you really want to do, go for it, just be prepared to work HARD.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Don't do it. He's a douche.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by i have to pee
OMG TEH SKOOL HAS TEH RULZ I DUNT LIEK WAHT A DOOSH!

Seriously, if you don't want to meet the requirements, don't. It doesn't make the person telling you them is a douche.

+1

yeah it sounds like you are trying to pin your shortcomings on this band teacher.
yeah. seems like an elitist douche.

my old band director (who retired last year, and was GREATLY admired throughout the community) was a dick most of the time but it was still possible to make negotiations with him. He's easy going outside of class but he was very strict, which explained why our music program used to be so good and admired. now the program just sucks.

try to negotiate with him. tell him to listen to what you gotta say.
Quote by shuriken
band teachers are always douches. why? because too many people realize that school band of any kind is extremely overrated. so they make the few people they do have do as much as possible. and then some. a few of my friends were in band, ended up slippin in all their classes because of the ungodly schedule, and quit.

exactly. i have a friend who is in it and is pretty much in all of my classes. He wanted to get out because his grades were dropping and the teacher refused to let him get out because his marching band's competitions are more important than this student's education.
Quote by csn00b
yeah, that kinda sucks. just try to explain to him that you don't wanna do marching band

but at least he actually gives a crap about guitar, my band teacher honestly couldn't care less if i played power chords for every song
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
hah

band is for fags

theres like 1 cool kid at my school in band

thats it

gg
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
hah

band is for fags

thats it

gg

Stupidest post ever.

"Band is for fags"? God save us!
Quote by NGMF-Sam
hah

band is for fags

thats it

gg

Ignore him if he knew anything about band it is whatever instrument you play at in the beginning, you will usually end up way better at the end
glad to offend
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Hmmm....from the past 3 years of my life, and this, I have concluded that
most Band Teachers=Pussy Sucking, Ass-Raping, Cockfags.
DIO FOREVER
Quote by NGMF-Sam
hah

band is for fags

thats it

gg

wow you are an asshole. band is a great thing and there is no such thing as COOL. They may not be cool to you, but they are COOL to there friends. It's a shame that people still feel this way about band kids.
Just tell him you'll join the jazz band, but you have no interest in the marching band.

If he says no, then forget about it.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Haha. my school band directors are always really cool, but either flaky or child molestors.
wow, your teacher is kind of a douche if he scoffed when you told him you knew what you were doing. luckily, its the opposite at my school. you have to be in marching to do the higher concert bands, but you can join the jazz band as long as you're taking another music class, i.e. music theory, or even orchestra or chorus.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
tell him that you wont take lessons or join marching band, my jazz band director is awesome, he just helps me cuz i dont undertsand chord voisings well, and he wants me to go to ONE clinic, but im gonna be out of town then, so he understands, he seems like a butt, dont join, tell him youll only join if you dont have to get lessons and youll just work it out on your own, and you wont join marching band, if he wont go, then forget it, o and my jazz bands doin fly me to the moon!
I fail to see how he's a douche. I mean the whole paying for a marching band uniform is extreme. But at my school, I'm required to play in the Marching Band if I want to be in Jazz Band, but we don't buy our uniforms.
4 AP classes is sorta your fault, why would you take four of them at the same time?
And the keyboardist thing... thats quite odd considering a decent Jazz Band would have a full rhythm section anyway. And note they're probably not going to change class requirements just for you to make it convenient. (for you)
We often feel sad in the presence of music without words; and often more than that in the presence of music without music -M. Twain
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. But I've never been one for hassle.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by NGMF-Sam
band is for fags

But band girls are so good at playing woodwinds, and they arn't that bad at their instruments either.

PS: I'm taking 4 AP classes next year, I think I'll do fine, I have no social life.
Better a douche than a pedophile right?
Right.
BITCH, IMA LEAD FARMER

Read 'Em =]
-----------------------------------
[thread="1177989"]Unwanted[/thread]
[thread="1179087"]Rude Awakening[/thread]
not worth it... you're not gonna have fun in it if you end up stressed all the time because of it
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by FrontMan66

4 AP classes is sorta your fault, why would you take four of them at the same time?

so that he can take more...

Edit: sorry about the double
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by LazySandman
so that he can take more...

Edit: sorry about the double

yea but thats sorta stupid, I mean duh with four AP classes your going to get overwhelmed so taking four then trying to get involved in a musical ensemble makes no sense to me
We often feel sad in the presence of music without words; and often more than that in the presence of music without music -M. Twain
Quote by FrontMan66
yea but thats sorta stupid, I mean duh with four AP classes your going to get overwhelmed so taking four then trying to get involved in a musical ensemble makes no sense to me

well if it's just jazz band it's definitely do-able, a lot of us at my school do that
but when you've gotta add another band to that and learn a new instrument, especially if you play sports, it can get crazy and just not fun
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Quote by mosh_face

Page 1 of 2