Hey guys, listen I'm not a beginner, been playing for a while, but I've seen squire telecasters being played on line and they are really sick (clean and distorted). Which squire tele will be best for nice clean tunes and fairly heavy rock (no metal or anything). I'm trying to figure out why they are so cheap if some are as good as owners claim. what am i losing out on when getting a squire? can't i just get a cheapy and switch out the pups? Thanks! BTW: price isn't really an issue since i'm assuming none will run past 300.
I'd rather get a new or used Made in Mexico Fender Standard Tele. The pickups on Squiers are cheap, worth no more than $20 if that. Squiers sound decent clean but anything with gain it does not handle too well. Maybe the Tele's you heard people had upgraded pickups I dunno. You could buy a Squier Tele and upgrade it, but you might be polishing a turd. It depends on you and how much you wanna spend. I'd still rather go for a used Mexican Standard Tele if you can't afford a new one but thats my opinion. A used one would run you around $300 or so. You could look at some knockoff brands too and might be able to get a better deal, just be careful.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Squiers aren't made as well, and they won't play as well... you may not notice at first, but after you play Fenders and Squiers enough you can really tell the difference. I'd spend the extra couple hundred dollars to get a Fender (even the Mexican ones are good, I have a Strat and Tele and they both play very well)
Quote by ams914
Hey guys, listen I'm not a beginner, been playing for a while, but I've seen squire telecasters being played on line and they are really sick (clean and distorted). Which squire tele will be best for nice clean tunes and fairly heavy rock (no metal or anything). I'm trying to figure out why they are so cheap if some are as good as owners claim. what am i losing out on when getting a squire? can't i just get a cheapy and switch out the pups? Thanks! BTW: price isn't really an issue since i'm assuming none will run past 300.

There's this Tele Discussion Page Re Issue forum ... lots of pros and fans there gave/give the Squier Tele the appropriate props. Nice Bang for $$$.

They are not bad guitars in their class. They make my list (below). If you pump 'em through a cheap digital box of tricks (are you sure this demo wasn't?) then they can sound really good. Wouldn't recommend a pick-up upgrade for entry level. If you can play them a Mexican can be OK - although I never recommend them. There is no bargains with the "names" - you have to pay. You can sometimes get reconditioned ones (they have been returned and factory checked) or chipped ones. Again OK if you can play them first.

Note UK pounds (we pay more for guitars here!)

Sub £150

Aria STG003, STG004

Sub £200

Vintage V99, Cort X2, M200, Squier Standard Stratocaster

Sub £300

Vintage V100, Tanglewood TH 502, Cort G250, X6, Ibanez RG370DX

Sub £400

Gordon Smith GS1, Fender Standard Series Strat, Standard Series Tele, Godin Exit 22

Sub £500

Cort M600, Gordon Smith SG1, Maverick F1 Hardtail

Sub £600

Gordon Smith Gypsy

Sub £700

Gordon Smith GS2 Deluxe, Graduate Slimline

Sub £800

Gordon Smith Graduate Standard, Fender American Series Strat, American Series Tele

Sub £900

Sub £1000

Fender American Deluxe Strat, American Deluxe Tele
Stop showing off and play the music!

This is my Squier Affinity Tele. It is my go to guitar, and considering I payed £50 for it used, I got a bargain. It is a tone machine. I tried the limited edition '52 Affinity Tele and it was a screamer too. I won't pretend that they are as good as an American Standard, and I do plan to upgrade and use it as a modding/throwabout guitar but at the price they are unbeatable. My neck pickup is sweeter than most Strats I've played and my bridge pickup has all the twang and bite you could want. Contrary to narrow minded "experts" you will find on UG, this guitar handles overdrive very very well.

My only issue with mine is that my guitar has a buzzing problem due to a bad ground wire but I'm just too lazy and having too much fun to stop and sort it out. I can honestly say, the neck is the most comfortable I have played on in recent memory, so all this crap about bleeding/sore fingers is just the usual anti cheap guitar propaganda. It is also a very sturdy guitar, and has withstood 10 or 11 years of previous abuse before me, and is so comfortable to play as it is very well balanced - a true players guitar in every way.

If anyone wants to see an unmodded Squier set the heather alight on YouTube, check out Rotren's videos.
I have a fender (mexican standard) tele. I was in your shoes not long ago TS. I thought about getting a squier, then uprgrading the neck and pickups, but decided to just get a mexican fender. I really like it a lot, and it feels and plays and overall quality is much better than the squiers I tried. The only thing I wish is that it was in butterscotch blonde color, but it's no big deal. Arctic white looks pretty good too.
Quote by lounge act
I've never really played a Squier, but the reason most owners would say its good is because its inexpensive and its a good starter guitar. Be honest, weren't you thrilled over your first guitar, no matter how bad it was? Although I'm sure many experienced guitarists have them and like them too...

It wasn't my first guitar though. And I have played many expensive guitars, e.g Les Paul Customs, PRS, Godins, and Fenders. I don't have rose tinted spectacles, and think that Squier Tele's are world beaters, but they at least offer a fair representation (in my case) of the Tele sound and (in my case again) are extremely playable and comfortable guitars to learn on. I have a Squier Affinity Strat kicking around the house that I've compared it to and the Strat is a pile of ****e in comparison. I bought my Tele from my cousin who has owned the vast majority of the best gear from the past 20 years (he worked in a music shop), and he says it is a great playing guitar too. He only sold it so he could get a Variax to used with his recording software, but I trust his opinion.
If you are going to buy a squier, buy the Standard series, NOT the Affinity series. Buy one where you can see the wood grain. you can cover up some sh!tty wood with paint. bring a friend who is proficient at playing guitar with you to appraise your guitar when shopping.

i was very lucky with my standard series strat. it is great.

some times you get a guitar that is a bargain, some time you get a bargain guitar. it seems like a toss up with squiers. but they seem to always be playable. the pickups are cheap. if the squier has the tone you are looking for out of the box, then thats the axe for you.
Last edited by brentonlatour at Feb 14, 2008,
My school just bought one and I played it for about 10 minutes. I think it sounds much better than the squier strats. I'm not exactly sure which model the tele is, but i did find it uncomfortable to sit down with. This one wasn't painted and was brown.

If the wood and playability is decent then i don't see too much of a problem with swapping the pickups.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec