History of Heavy Metal
Starting in 1989, Metal was recognized by the Grammy Awards, although by that time it had been around for 19 years. This was a sign of Heavy Metal being taken seriously as a genre. It finally got the recognition it had deserved. The Heavy Metal genre of music began in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, borrowing its style from blues and rock with bands like Black Sabbath.

Heavy Metal might owe its beginning to earlier bands of rock and blues. “Heavy Metal came from the blues, blues rock, rock, and prog rock in the 1960’s” (Japczyk). The electric guitar had been used before Heavy Metal, in bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. The sound of the guitar is a trademark of heavy metal. “Heavy Metal music sounds are formed of aggressive rhythms, and high amplified, distorted guitars” (Japczyk). Heavy Metal also used and still uses techniques that are also found in other genres. The use of power chords in prevalent in Heavy Metal, and also many rock bands. The blues scale was used by one of Heavy Metal’s most iconic guitar players, Dimebag “Darrel” Abbot. The genres share many aspects in common.

The radically different lyrical and instrumental style of Black Sabbath started to take shape in 1969. The lyrical subjects of Black Sabbath focused on “Doom, Drugs, Life, Death, Religion” (Black Sabbath). This became a staple of future Heavy Metal bands. Heavy Metal is known for its “darkness”, and Black Sabbath is known for starting this. The guitarist of Black Sabbath, had an accident in the workplace shortly before joining Black Sabbath. He would lower the tuning of his guitar to C#. This reduces the tension of the guitar strings, which helped his fingers which were injured in the workplace accident. A lower tuned guitar allowed for a heavier sound. Many bands today use lowered or alternate tunings. “Kashmir, Moby Dick, Black Hole Sun, Sludge Factory, and So Cold utilize lowered tunings” (Drop D Tuning).

After developing a new, heavier style of music, Black Sabbath released their debut self-titled album in 1970. “…a new sound arose in England. Heavy metal -- the sound of anger, outrageous attitudes, wailing guitars, walls of amplifiers and dark lyrics -- was born” (Conan). Black Sabbath’s first album contained only five tracks, was but it enough to establish them as the first heavy metal band. No album before it had sounded like it. “The band from Birmingham almost single handedly defined the essence and sound of the heavy metal genre by combining a fascination with dark mythological and religious subject matter which symbolized the reality of a working class life in the poor, poverty stricken industrial Birmingham during the early 70's” (Heavy Metal). Starting with the track “Black Sabbath”, the band quickly had the unique sound they were looking for. “Satan’s sitting there, he’s smiling.” Those are the words that came from the lead singer Ozzy Osbourne on their title track. The Satanic theme would be a part of Black Sabbath’s later music, and later heavy metal music.

The members of Black Sabbath were some of the most important pioneers in the genre, but later bands would evolve the sound into different genres. Later bands would incorporate either the instrumental aspect or lyrical aspect of earlier heavy metal. In the late 1970’s, a new genre of metal would appear. “The genre of New Wave of British Heavy Metal has influenced almost all metal that has followed it. These were the metal pioneers that took the original sound of groups like Black Sabbath and removed some of the rock and blues influences to make the familiar metal sound that today we all know and love.” “Examples include: Judas Priest, Saxon, Diamond Head, and Iron Maiden” (Bowar, 2). The New Wave of British Heavy Metal would come to influence another sub-genre of metal, known as Thrash Metal. “This genre evolved from The New Wave of British Heavy Metal and became heavier and even more extreme than it already was. Its’ characteristics often include fast guitar and double bass drum with mean but vocals you can still understand. Many popular bands in metal started as thrash bands, although most evolved as they went along” (Bowar, 2). Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer are the four primary bands that would reach mainstream success for their Thrash music. Thrash would be popular in the 1980’s and early 1990’s. However, today another sub-genre of metal has become very popular. “The metalcore genre current enjoys popularity and combines heavy metal with hardcore. Heavy Metal can be heard in the instrumental area of many metalcore bands. the shouting vocal style of hardcore is used primarily by metalcore bands, hence the name metalcore” (Bowar, 2).

Metal has come a long way since its beginnings with Black Sabbath. Along the way it has lost some of its original sounds in many of its sub-genres. Throughout the past thirty to forty years metal bands and sub-genres have come and gone. Modern metal bands owe at least some of their success to Black Sabbath for starting the genre. The Grammy Awards have recognized Heavy Metal since 1989. The most recent band to win The Best Metal performance was Slayer, one of the original pioneers of Thrash Metal. The most important Heavy Metal band got the recognition in The Grammy Awards of 2000, when Black Sabbath took home the Grammy for The Best Metal Performance with arguably their most popular song, “Iron Man”. After playing for more than thirty years prior, Black Sabbath was given the honor they deserve for starting the Heavy Metal Genre.

Yeah, i know its a long read. If you have time tell me what you think. Thanks!
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Last edited by zanz1bar at Feb 14, 2008,
could you really not indent the paragraphs? even a little?
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
I read through it rather quickly... What class is this for? I think you might lose points because it looks like you've just fetched a lot of discography data from Wikipedia and written it into an essay.
I'm a communist. Really.
Make it readable.

Really does look horrible to look at.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Well i told my teacher that i already know a lot of info about heavy metal, and i already have parenthetical citations, so i should be okay
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
I read it

whats the point of this? just a statement? or is there reason?
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
the first sentence doesnt make sense
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap

Put this in your sig if you realise this is because rock has become stale and unoriginal, while hip hop is continually evolving and truer to it's roots
it sounds as though it was written for a music class (as you are mentioning drop d tuning and various stuff.)

as it is actually for english, i would read the question and put little bits in that show you've taken note of the question and have answered it.

other than that, the info seems solid enough.
Try and organize your ideas better, make it flow from one to the other more logically, right now (after having read the first couple paragraphs) you seem to be jumping from one thing to the other with no real link other than that it's metal.
It's decent, theres some dramatical errors read through and you'll see them.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
I agree with the comments on a lack of flow, it also seemed to lose relevance, turning into more of a discussion on Black Sabbath than heavy metal.

I don't like the way you quote, it really hurts the flow of the writing. It may well have been the way you have been taught, but I prefer to limit 'direct' quoting. I prefer to incorporate the idea into my text and then cite it. For instance:

Heavy Metal might owe its beginning to earlier bands of rock and blues. “Heavy Metal came from the blues, blues rock, rock, and prog rock in the 1960’s” (Japczyk).

This could have have been written, Heavy Metal might owe its beginning to earlier bands of rock and blues (Japczyk). It saves you repeating and gives the work more flow, and you are still referencing appropriately.
not to be a dick, but:
Dimebag "Darrel" Abbott, i mean wtf?
you know that Darrell is his real name, that should read:
"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott
Quote by RPGoof
I feel dirty just reading that word. Grindcore... EW... I need a shower

Quote by stratkat
music is my meth equivalent
Quote by zanz1bar
History of Heavy Metal
Starting in 1989, Metal was recognized by the Grammy Awards, although by that time it had been around for 19 years. This was a sign of Heavy Metal being taken seriously as a genre. It finally got the recognition it had deserved. The Heavy Metal genre of music began in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, borrowing its style from blues and rock with bands like Black Sabbath. If you're not gonna set a specific starting date, you shouldn't use such a concrete age of the genre like 19...try "almost 2 decades" instead.

Heavy Metal might owe don't use "might owe", use "owes" - assert your assertions, write as if you are entirely correct its beginning to earlier bands of rock and blues. “Heavy Metal came from the blues, blues rock, rock, and prog rock in the 1960’s” (Japczyk). The electric guitar had been used before Heavy Metal, in bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. The sound of the guitar is a trademark of heavy metal. “Heavy Metal music sounds are formed of aggressive rhythms, and high amplified, distorted guitars” (Japczyk). Heavy Metal also used and still uses techniques that are also found in other genres. The use of power chords in prevalent in Heavy Metal, and also many rock bands. The blues scale was used by one of Heavy Metal’s most iconic guitar players, Dimebag “Darrel” Abbot. The genres share many aspects in common. Maybe go into more detail about the scale to address its blues roots - this single sentence about it at the end seems as though you jsut wanted to stick a tidbit of info with a popular name on the end of this paragraph. Add another sentence, or at lease make the existing one more complex, because right now its just being overshadowed and diminished by what was mentioned before it.

The radically different lyrical and instrumental style of Black Sabbath started to take shape in 1969. The lyrical subjects of Black Sabbath focused on “Doom, Drugs, Life, Death, Religion” (Black Sabbath). This became a staple of future Heavy Metal bands. Heavy Metal is known for its “darkness”, and Black Sabbath is known for starting this. Awkward sentence in my opinion. The guitarist of Black Sabbath, had an accident in the workplace shortly before joining Black Sabbath. He would lower the tuning of his guitar to C#. These two sentences are so awkward next to each other it pains me, and since the relation between them isn't explained until later in the paragraph, the reader would be lost for a few sentences, which is bad. Don't make your reader work, let them enjoy your paper. This reduces the tension of the guitar strings, which helped his fingers which were injured in the workplace accident. A lower tuned guitar allowed for a heavier sound. Many bands today use lowered or alternate tunings. “Kashmir, Moby Dick, Black Hole Sun, Sludge Factory, and So Cold utilize lowered tunings” (Drop D Tuning). A few things: maybe emphasize how Iommi's accident inadvertently made detuning a commonplace of the genre (stress the unintentional nature of it). Also, include the band names of those songs, and maybe talk about how modern band's craving for a low, Sabbath-esque sound has resulted tunings as low as Drop A and gave 7-strings the specific purpose of providing that low bass note, and mention some modern bands who tune low.

After developing a new, heavier style of music, Black Sabbath released their debut self-titled album in 1970. “…a new sound arose in England. Heavy metal -- the sound of anger, outrageous attitudes, wailing guitars, walls of amplifiers and dark lyrics -- was born” (Conan). Black Sabbath’s first album contained only five tracks, was but it enough to establish them as the first heavy metal band. No album before it had sounded like it. “The band from Birmingham almost single handedly defined the essence and sound of the heavy metal genre by combining a fascination with dark mythological and religious subject matter which symbolized the reality of a working class life in the poor, poverty stricken industrial Birmingham during the early 70's” (Heavy Metal). Starting with the track “Black Sabbath”, the band quickly had the unique sound they were looking for. “Satan’s sitting there, he’s smiling.” Those are the words that came from the lead singer Ozzy Osbourne on their title track. The Satanic theme would be a part of Black Sabbath’s later music, and later heavy metal music.

The members of Black Sabbath were some of the most important pioneers in the genre, but later bands would evolve the sound into different genres. Later bands would incorporate either the instrumental aspect or lyrical aspect of earlier heavy metal. In the late 1970’s, a new genre of metal would appear. “The genre of New Wave of British Heavy Metal has influenced almost all metal that has followed it. These were the metal pioneers that took the original sound of groups like Black Sabbath and removed some of the rock and blues influences to make the familiar metal sound that today we all know and love.” “Examples include: Judas Priest, Saxon, Diamond Head, and Iron Maiden” (Bowar, 2). The New Wave of British Heavy Metal would come to influence another sub-genre of metal, known as Thrash Metal. “This genre evolved from The New Wave of British Heavy Metal and became heavier and even more extreme than it already was. Its’ characteristics often include fast guitar and double bass drum with mean but vocals you can still understand. Many popular bands in metal started as thrash bands, although most evolved as they went along” (Bowar, 2). Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer are the four primary bands that would reach mainstream success for their Thrash music. Thrash would be popular in the 1980’s and early 1990’s. However, today another sub-genre of metal has become very popular. “The metalcore genre current enjoys popularity and combines heavy metal with hardcore. Heavy Metal can be heard in the instrumental area of many metalcore bands. the shouting vocal style of hardcore is used primarily by metalcore bands, hence the name metalcore” (Bowar, 2).

Metal has come a long way since its beginnings with Black Sabbath. Along the way it has lost some of its original sounds in many of its sub-genres. Throughout the past thirty to forty years metal bands and sub-genres have come and gone. Modern metal bands owe at least some of their success to Black Sabbath for starting the genre. The Grammy Awards have recognized Heavy Metal since 1989. The most recent band to win The Best Metal performance was Slayer, one of the original pioneers of Thrash Metal. The most important Heavy Metal band got the recognition in The Grammy Awards of 2000, when Black Sabbath took home the Grammy for The Best Metal Performance with arguably their most popular song, “Iron Man”. Maybe you shouldn't refer to the as "the most important Heavy Metal Band. It seems to undermine your paper because you didn't write about Sabbath being the most important band specifically, you wrote about Sabbath being the sort of Father-Band for the genre, which is why it is so important. If you just say they are important, you're not really saying why. Call them the "Fathers of Heavy Metal" or something to that effect, it'll be better in my opinion. After playing for more than thirty years prior, Black Sabbath was given the honor they deserve for starting the Heavy Metal Genre.

there's my two cents. it was nice to read a paper about something cool for a change.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Why does everyone on UG, when suddenly confronted with an English assignment, decide to do it on Heavy Metal?

Also, perhaps try mentioning bands that aren't Black Sabbath. It doesn't make you look as if you have extensive knowledge of the subject area if everything realtes back to one band.
Is the paper just to write about the history of something?
You don't really seem to prove anything with your paper, but if it is just to describe the history, that is fine.