What would you say the bare minimum wattage would be for playing a small gig? Also any good value amp suggestions are great. (cheap as they can be without out being a total piece of crap)
Right... so, this is not a good thread. Here's what we need:

1. Price range
2. Musical genre
3. Desired features
4. Tube or SS

That'll get you started.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
I've done gigs with a Valve Jnr, and a 15w combo.

But it mainly depends on whether you want clean sounds at gigging volumes
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Well I did/do small gig's with a 80 watt amp and it has a lot of leftover power. On that though I would guess that 50 watts would be a minimum if you don't want you amp to be constantly straining on full.

But then it depends on how loud your playing and how hard your drummer bashes his/her drums.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Depends if it's mic'd to a PA. If it is you could use a 15 watt amp easily.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by wohzah
What would you say the bare minimum wattage would be for playing a small gig? Also any good value amp suggestions are great. (cheap as they can be without out being a total piece of crap)

Depends on whether you will be using a solid-state or valve amp. Also if it's going to be mic'd or not. If it is then almost any amp would do.
Quote by Mettliccaa
Well I did/do small gig's with a 80 watt amp and it has a lot of leftover power. On that though I would guess that 50 watts would be a minimum if you don't want you amp to be constantly straining on full.

But then it depends on how loud your playing and how hard your drummer bashes his/her drums.

you're also using a SS amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I play blues and rock. No metal more classic rock. I would like to spend as little as possible while still reataining acceptable quality. Do I choose if my amp will be mic'd?
It depends if the venue you're playing at has a PA system, really...
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Where you are depends if your amp is mic'd. Most places now will have their own PA so yea it'd be mic'd.

For Blues and classic rock theres a lot of options that are cheap. If you're UK the Laney VC 30 is good, the 1x12. If you're US there's the Peavey Classic 30. They're highly recommended around here.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
30 Watts of TUBE power can get you buy. A 50 is a safer bet, but you could use a 30. It depends on PA equipment, size of venue. Lots of stuff.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I'd say 15W is enough, if you don't need headroom. Doubt you'd need more than 30 (I have done gigs for 100s of people with my R30 miced at like 3-4).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by DiMeTiMe
1000 would be insane......I only use 400......

400 is wayyyyyyyyyyyy excessive in itself
40 watts is enough to give hearing damage, let alone double that...
Even though it might not feel like it, your hearing will slowly go away.
Or in 1000 watts case, in a matter of weeks, lol
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I have an ac30, 30 watts, and its loud enough for medium gigs
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I think that 30W really is the perfect balance between getting good sounds during bedroom practice and getting enough volume for a gig.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by kool98769
400 is wayyyyyyyyyyyy excessive in itself
40 watts is enough to give hearing damage, let alone double that...
Even though it might not feel like it, your hearing will slowly go away.
Or in 1000 watts case, in a matter of weeks, lol

Dude, it's not like I blast the damn thing! I rarely have the volume above 2!!
5 watts is plenty. There are literally hundereds of variables that can change what is necessary.

I don't know about you guys, but I HATE it when people state things like "you need MINIMUM 15 tube watts to play gigs. Its a crock of ****. Every single sitution is different.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
5 watts is plenty. There are literally hundereds of variables that can change what is necessary.

I don't know about you guys, but I HATE it when people state things like "you need MINIMUM 15 tube watts to play gigs. Its a crock of ****. Every single sitution is different.

I agree with you.

In most situations bigger venues where you might need a larger amp isn't required because they will most likely have a PA anyway. I'd go from anywhere between 15-50 tube watts. It also depends if you play in your bedroom a lot too.
Cheers for the support. I'd have even said its possible with a Ruby with a correct speaker cabinet, but I've never tried it so I can't speak for it.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this