Page 1 of 3
I'm currently using the Purple Tortex dunlop 1.14. Seems a little to thick, what size do you guys find the best(metal). thanks
LOL
.88 ish I find works good. No more than .97.

But really the best thing to do would be to go buy a few different sizes and try them. Seeing as their cheap.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by JWD19
Ultex Jazz III

I have those but they drop out of my hand when i try to do some speed runs or something. so .88 is good?
LOL
No there'd be many guitarist out there that use picks that thick. Just that once you get so thick it's like using metal as a pick(it just doesn't work).
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by Mettliccaa
No there'd be many guitarist out there that use picks that thick. Just that once you get so thick it's like using metal as a pick(it just doesn't work).

no i meant for who ever answered if they played metal, what size they prefer. So whats the difference between the Ultex JazzIII, and the regular Jazz XL III?
LOL
i usually use the .88 (green) and the M3 jazz picks which are green with the turtle also but are smaller...

the .73 (yellow i think) are nice too, the blue ones are nice too
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by GHJ
Tortex 1.14mm

I have those right now, i think I'm going to buy some .88's to try out. thanks for the help. ohh should i go for Tortex or the gator grip?
LOL
im using the 1mm version at the moment my main plectrum also works well on my epiphone bass
Definitely get yourself some green turtles(.88 mm). =)
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Yeah i play metal as well and i always use 2.0mm gator grip or tortex. i prefer the gator grip at the moment. thin picks screw my technique completely cos they bend. am i normal? Do professional metal guitarists use thick picks?? Surely they would have to don't you think? U need the precision, not floppy bs...
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
1mm nylons work for me (black)
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by 123-Trav
Yeah i play metal as well and i always use 2.0mm gator grip or tortex. i prefer the gator grip at the moment. thin picks screw my technique completely cos they bend. am i normal? Do professional metal guitarists use thick picks?? Surely they would have to don't you think? U need the precision, not floppy bs...

A lot depends on how you play and what you play. Medium most of the time. However Brian May plays with a Six Pence (which is a tiny out-of-date UK coin) Some digital effects boxes change the sound so much (to another instrument sometimes!) that a really light pick can sound better.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Whatever the little purple ones are (1.14 I think). The ones that have that great little edge on them.

Jazz IIIs work great as a very close second, too.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I play 1.14 since I actually want the pick to go where my picking goes, as opposed to where my strumming was one string ago. Floppy picks piss me off so bad.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
I use 100's all the time, I just started using .71's.. I think I'm going to make the switch to .71's, they seem to make playing fast alot easier, they also make up-strokes alot easier..
.88mm tortex work great, and the Jazz III Tortex work great, but they both have some downsides for me. I'm gunna try some Dunlop Tortex Jazz or Jazz III XLs. Maybe a .72mm tortex...i dunno.
i used dunlop "lucky 13" 0.73mm for a while
then i switched to dunlop gator grip 0.96mm and i know i will stick to them
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
I really didn't care too much for the green tortex's. I like the blue one's much better. I think they are .9 something. The purplish gator grips aren't bad either I think they are .9 something too.
dunlop thins is all i know lol

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
dunlop 3mm subbys = win.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I use Dunlop Jazz III´s for my electric and just something thin for my acoustic :P I HATE big and floppy picks, really annoying
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Try a pick w/ 3 different thickness....the material simply corresponds to the durability of the pick...anything Hard suits my palying wether strum or licks...the harder the better for me
I use the .88s (green) right now, but for a while I was using the .60s (orange), then went to yellow (forget exact size), and now I'm at 88 and planning on going one size larger, but I don't see going over 1mm, considering the fact that once it gets to big it can get in the way all the same, but larger picks for faster speed are recommended by most guitarists, since they give you a lot more control. I still don't know what a professional metal guitarist is though. The bands like Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, Slayer, etc. are just regular people all the same, and I doubt they found picks based on what the metal bands before them were playing.

Find what makes you comfortable.
Quote by CephalidHunter
1mm nylons work for me (black)

Same here. I find thin picks to be too plucky and uncontrollable for my taste.

I also use some smaller Jazz picks. Their just as thick, but the deliver a smoother strum.
.72 yellow triangles.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
I am really not picky about what I use

I usually buy a pack of dunlop .60 match picks

because most of the time I'm fingerpicking
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Page 1 of 3