First, sorry if this needs to be in the video game thread. I'll probably get more responses here.

I just went out and got Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I installed it on my computer, and everything went fine. I have double nearly all the system requirements.

I load the game, and it plays fine. Everything at max and it's running smoothly. I enter my name, talk to the other prisoner, and follow the guard.

Once I go up the stairs to open the hatch (the "interact" tutorial), the game stops. It seems like it's loading (the "hatch open" sound plays, the ocean sound starts, and the new bgm plays), but it just stays at me staring at the hatch until I ctrl+alt+del out of it.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by freedoms_stain
check the interwebz for patches, it might be a known glitch that the developers patched.

EDIT: there are some morrowind patches here:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm

It doesn't say what they fix, but they'll probably be worth installing anyway.

I'm mostly a console gamer, I has forgotten teh patches.

Stupid game designers, using the public as beta testers
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by PlayMadness
I'm mostly a console gamer, I has forgotten teh patches.

Stupid game designers, using the public as beta testers

lol, it's not fair, but it's the way they do it.

At least when bugs get through they can be fixed, on the console you've just gotta live with it.

Well, now there's consoles with hard drives I dare say patching will become standard there too.
Quote by freedoms_stain
lol, it's not fair, but it's the way they do it.

At least when bugs get through they can be fixed, on the console you've just gotta live with it.

Well, now there's consoles with hard drives I dare say patching will become standard there too.

Xbox Live FTW

Patchlicious
I am the Infantry.
Ok, I got the new patch, but nothing changed...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
Ok, I got the new patch, but nothing changed...

****, are you sure you installed the right patch in the right location?

Another thing you could try is turning the graphics settings way down til you get past that bit, then turning them up again.

Morrowind is an old game and wasn't designed for modern hardware, it's a problem with older games.
Quote by freedoms_stain
****, are you sure you installed the right patch in the right location?

Another thing you could try is turning the graphics settings way down til you get past that bit, then turning them up again.

Morrowind is an old game and wasn't designed for modern hardware, it's a problem with older games.

I got the right patch, and it's in the right place.

I got GotY edition, but I only installed the basic Morrowind, thinking, "why use the space on my hard drive for expansions I'm not gonna use?" but I'm installing Tribunal right now, and when it's done, I'll install Bloodmoon, to see if that helps at all...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
I got the right patch, and it's in the right place.

I got GotY edition, but I only installed the basic Morrowind, thinking, "why use the space on my hard drive for expansions I'm not gonna use?" but I'm installing Tribunal right now, and when it's done, I'll install Bloodmoon, to see if that helps at all...

worth a shot, if noy luck try the bethesda forums:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=9

good luck. I would get morrowind if I had the time to dedicate to such a huge game. And I've not finished Oblivion yet :p
Try downloading a plugin to skip the tutorial and see if it's a problem with all exterior cells.
IIIIIII
Quote by freedoms_stain
worth a shot, if noy luck try the bethesda forums:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=9

good luck. I would get morrowind if I had the time to dedicate to such a huge game. And I've not finished Oblivion yet :p

I would've gotten Oblivion, but I'm exactly 0.3Ghz short in processing power...

It needs 2.0, I have 1.7.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
I suggest reinstalling and checking the Bethesda forums. Morrowind is one of the best rpg's ever made, you'll love it
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Quote by PlayMadness
I would've gotten Oblivion, but I'm exactly 0.3Ghz short in processing power...

It needs 2.0, I have 1.7.

I've heard morrowind plays better, but I got oblivion free from a friend who hated it, so who am I to complain?
Ok, I installed Tribunal and Bloodmoon, as well as the most recent patch, and it gives me an error message whenever I try to play:

"Failed to load Snowflake: meshes/BM_Snow_01.nif"
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
I love the ES series of games, but they always have frustrating bugs. Guess that's to be expected with such an open ended RPG.
Quote by PlayMadness
Ok, I installed Tribunal and Bloodmoon, as well as the most recent patch, and it gives me an error message whenever I try to play:

"Failed to load Snowflake: meshes/BM_Snow_01.nif"

Try the bethesda forums

Hmm, the patch list says not to install the patch if you've installed tribunal.

I know it's a complete pain in the arse, But your best bet might be a complete uninstall, reboot the system then install morrowind + tribunal.

Unless you find better answers at the bethesda forum.

sorry