my friend told me to go used becuz i got 1000$ only so i need an amp that

can play live gigs

play pop punk (green day, blink-182)

newish metal (all that remains, avenged 7 fold, bullet for my valentine)

has good distortion

at the same time has good cleans

my guitar: schecter gryphon, neck: SD 59, bridge: gibson dirty fingers

btw im also getting my mt-2 metal zone modded by keeley so maybe that will help with the metal stuff.

HELP ME DECIDE WHAT AMP TO GET PLEASE
Dude, if you have Gibson Dirty fingers I have one word for you. MESA!!! I have Dirty Fingers in my Les Paul and I play through a Dual Rec and a Cabinet with greenbacks. Heaven!!! You can probably pick up a decent combo in your price range.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Carvin V3
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by xfallchildx
whats a good overdrive that can fit my styles?

With a Mesa, you do not NEED an overdrive. The Mesas will have more OD than you know what to do with.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Oh, the Zakk Wylde MG stack has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE. So maybe you should save your money and just buy one of those!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Oh, the Zakk Wylde MG stack has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE. So maybe you should save your money and just buy one of those!

Lol.

The JCM900 with an OD is a good idea.
Quote by zoomzilla

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
You could easily find a used V3 head under $1000 and have money left over for a cab, like an Avatar 2x12 perhaps.
Quote by Iceman 420
You could easily find a used V3 head under $1000 and have money left over for a cab, like an Avatar 2x12 perhaps.

Not a bad idea. He could also find a single rec head for under $1000 as well. Carvin is a good choice too. I agree with the avatar recommendation.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
With a Mesa, you do not NEED an overdrive. The Mesas will have more OD than you know what to do with.

IMO, a mesa sounds great with an OD. That is my next purchase actually, because the OD makes the tone much tighter and more articulate...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
IMO, a mesa sounds great with an OD. That is my next purchase actually, because the OD makes the tone much tighter and more articulate...

Well as long as it is an actual tube screamer type. Not just an OD pedal. I agree that you can make the Mesa sound BETTER with an Tube Screamer, but you don't need it. A good tubescreamer can make your cleans warmer and richer. But just a regular OD pedal will do nothing for your clean channel. But I am sure you know that!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Well as long as it is an actual tube screamer type. Not just an OD pedal. I agree that you can make the Mesa sound BETTER with an Tube Screamer, but you don't need it. A good tubescreamer can make your cleans warmer and richer. But just a regular OD pedal will do nothing for your clean channel. But I am sure you know that!

I'm sure you know many manufacturers copied the TS design and made an OD pedal out of it...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
randall MTS RM50 and you wouldn't even NEED that metal pedal for metal tones
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by aznrockerdude
I'm sure you know many manufacturers copied the TS design and made an OD pedal out of it...

No, I understand that. The Maxon OD 808 is a great pedal that is called an overdrive, but there is a difference between a tube screamer type OD and a non tube type OD pedal. For example a Boss Overdrive would not sound great with a Tube amp. A maxon, or Ibanez or Keeley would sound killer. The TS type of OD pedal pushes your tubes. So your cleans will sound great as well as your distortion. It does not give it that digitized type sound.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla

Yeah, I am gonna get a Keely Modded TS-9 or a Fulltone OCD.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Yeah, I am gonna get a Keely Modded TS-9 or a Fulltone OCD.

Good call.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
No, I understand that. The Maxon OD 808 is a great pedal that is called an overdrive, but there is a difference between a tube screamer type OD and a non tube type OD pedal. For example a Boss Overdrive would not sound great with a Tube amp. A maxon, or Ibanez or Keeley would sound killer. The TS type of OD pedal pushes your tubes. So your cleans will sound great as well as your distortion. It does not give it that digitized type sound.

Which Boss OD? SD-1?
http://www.guitarjam.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by zoomzilla
Good call.

Yeah the only boss pedal that I would ever buy would be the TU-2 and mod it for True Bypass...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by aznrockerdude

Well based on that link, it tells you all you need to know as to why you would NOT want this pedal. Thanks for the informative link that everyone can read and realize for themselves why the Boss is a bad pedal.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Well based on that link, it tells you all you need to know as to why you would NOT want this pedal. Thanks for the informative link that everyone can read and realize for themselves why the Boss is a bad pedal.

Maybe, but my point was this:
The SD-1 is based on the tubescreamer circuit. Truth is, most overdrives are based on the tubescreamer circuit. The SD-1 differs tonally from the tubescreamer in that it has asymmetrical clipping, which in layman’s terms means the flavor of distortion/overdrive (referred to as “clipping&rdquo is a bit different, has more available clipping, and a little bit less mids. It’s still mid-heavy in a nice way though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
No, I hear you, but a pedal being based on a tube screamer circuit means nothing. All cars are based on 4 wheels, what does that mean about each of their other aspects? Nothing. A true overdrive, would be to basically amplify your tubes. Make them run hotter, hence OVERDRIVE. Many pedals could be based on this theory, but they add extra crap that you don't want like the mention of the clipping. Why would you want that? That makes no sense. Do you like the distortion of your tube amp, but want to push it past the edge? Well get a tube screamer with a true bypass. Not one that adds extra noise to the signal chain like the asymmetrical clipping. That is NOT what you would want.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
No, I hear you, but a pedal being based on a tube screamer circuit means nothing. All cars are based on 4 wheels, what does that mean about each of their other aspects? Nothing. A true overdrive, would be to basically amplify your tubes. Make them run hotter, hence OVERDRIVE. Many pedals could be based on this theory, but they add extra crap that you don't want like the mention of the clipping. Why would you want that? That makes no sense. Do you like the distortion of your tube amp, but want to push it past the edge? Well get a tube screamer with a true bypass. Not one that adds extra noise to the signal chain like the asymmetrical clipping. That is NOT what you would want.

+1

I so want that OCD. It is killing me!
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993