What's the difference between a cutout acoustic and a normal one? I don't mean the obvious, like the fact that there's a cutout . Really, I'm interested in:

• Differences in sound quality
  • Cost

I never really understood why they make cutouts, other than the fact that you can actually reach the higher frets. So, is there really any considerable advantages for a cutout acoustic? If so, in what ways?
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
cutaways usually don't effect the price or sound. And you answered your own question, cutaways are for better fret access, so if you want to play on the higher frets, get a cutaway, if not, then don't
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
Quote by LastAuramancer
cutaways usually don't effect the price or sound. And you answered your own question, cutaways are for better fret access, so if you want to play on the higher frets, get a cutaway, if not, then don't

actually the first part of that statement is completly false. A guitar with a cutaway is almost always more expensive than the same model with no cutaway. Also as there is less soundboard to vibrate, volume will be sacrificed as might tone.
1. like slidething31 said... a cutaway will make the guitar sound a little less full than its full bodied counterpart. you are indeed missing a big chunk of guitar, so that's one of the sacrifices for access to the higher frets. However, although it sounds a little less full, it still sounds very similar to the full bodied version. you probably wont be able to tell the difference unless you compare them side by side. and yes, a little volume will be sacrificed.

2. cutaways DEFINITELY COST MORE. my current guitar(art & lutherie cedar with cutaway and electronics) would have probably costed quite a bit less if i didnt have a cutaway.

having a cutaway will benefit you if you ever plan to go up to those high frets. if you aren't sure, then buy a guitar with a cutaway. I bought my guitar as a beginner and loved how the cutaway looked. now, however, i couldnt care less about a cutaway. I'm mainly a strummer(but im starting to learn fingerstyle) so i dont need the cutaway and appreciate that extra little piece of guitar that i dont get with a cutaway. also, it doesn't make sense for me to be paying more for less guitar as a strummer.
Last edited by captivate at Feb 14, 2008,
Cutaways generally do alter the sound and almost ALWAYS raise the price. The guy above me has in right.