I sure as hell can't do it. I've been playing for a year, but up to two months ago it was just acoustic fingerpicking, now I've been wanting to learn metal lead guitar. I run into a lot of problems with soloing though.

1. Whenever I try to tremolo pick, after about ten seconds all of my muscles tense up and I need to stop for a moment. Is there any way to correct this?

2. Even though I know scales and some basic theory I can't really improvise, can anyone offer me any tips?

3. I pick with my picking hand closed, as opposed to open like other guitarists... is this necessarily wrong and will it inhibit me in the future?

Finally.

4. Can anyone share any piece of advice, at all regarding soloing and playing lead guitar, recommend me easy songs, give me resources, tips/tricks etc?

Thank you fellows.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
1. Sorry just practice after like a month of playing master of puppets over and over again it didnt bother my muscles at all

2. I cant do that either really, if you just kinda listen to metal and start playing you begin to add it to your player with out thinking i guess, any improvising i do usually sounds metal or blues cause thats what i play for me it was like subconciously i learned to do it

3. It might, i dont do that so i dont know, but im guessing if you open your hand you might be able to play faster and could thus help with your first problem regarding tremolo picking

4. I would say practice Master of puppets (not the solo) to get your pick speed up and try the solo(s) in Fade to black becauset he first one is slow and easy and the final one is faster but is stil rather easy...also any yngwie songs that look simple enough hes got a few that are just some fast picking so those would help too
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
1. Practice more and the muscles will tone up

2. Practice.

3. No, if it's causing problems then it'll correct itself and you'll find a new postition

4. know what key you're in. Know a few applicable scales. Improvise and find what sounds good to you.

Not all of the answers are instant. People don't realize the only key is practice and experience.
My honest advice is to stick with a fingerpicking style and develop your own melodic style instead of becoming yet another aspiring metal soloist.
Hopefully that helps im not exactly an accomplished metal solo improvisor myself but i can play most any metal song rhythems and most solos so hopefully im helping you somehow
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by Bushinarin
I sure as hell can't do it. I've been playing for a year, but up to two months ago it was just acoustic fingerpicking, now I've been wanting to learn metal lead guitar. I run into a lot of problems with soloing though.

1. Whenever I try to tremolo pick, after about ten seconds all of my muscles tense up and I need to stop for a moment. Is there any way to correct this?

2. Even though I know scales and some basic theory I can't really improvise, can anyone offer me any tips?

3. I pick with my picking hand closed, as opposed to open like other guitarists... is this necessarily wrong and will it inhibit me in the future?

Finally.

4. Can anyone share any piece of advice, at all regarding soloing and playing lead guitar, recommend me easy songs, give me resources, tips/tricks etc?

Thank you fellows.

1. The more you practice it the more you will become conferable with it, take it slow.

2. You just need to learn the positions of the scales and stuff. If you know the key of a song, go to looknohands.com then into the advanced guitar room, put the key in, and it shows you all the notes you can use on the fretboard.

3. Whatever is conferable with you works fine, just make sure you arent picking like the way herman li does.

4. Just take it slow, then get faster and faster. As far as resources for this, id say get guitar pro. You can see and hear the tabs you are playing and there is this great feature called speed builder that loops the piece of the song you select, and everything it repeats the tempo increase a little bit. Awesome software.

take it slow man. It might benefit you to take some lessons on the theory thing, its kinda hard to explain on the internet.
Quote by BluesLP1990
1. Practice more and the muscles will tone up

2. Practice.

3. No, if it's causing problems then it'll correct itself and you'll find a new postition

4. know what key you're in. Know a few applicable scales. Improvise and find what sounds good to you.

Not all of the answers are instant. People don't realize the only key is practice and experience.
My honest advice is to stick with a fingerpicking style and develop your own melodic style instead of becoming yet another aspiring metal soloist.

I picked up the guitar originally wanting to learn metal, then I broadened out... now I'm deciding I want to be well rounded. I play at the moment mostly classical, blues and metal. I know it's bad to be a jack of all trades, but maybe one day I'll get to be the king of all trades?

Also I do practice for a few hours a day. I know it's not instant, I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Quote by woodsballplayer
1. The more you practice it the more you will become conferable with it, take it slow.

2. You just need to learn the positions of the scales and stuff. If you know the key of a song, go to looknohands.com then into the advanced guitar room, put the key in, and it shows you all the notes you can use on the fretboard.

3. Whatever is conferable with you works fine, just make sure you arent picking like the way herman li does.

4. Just take it slow, then get faster and faster. As far as resources for this, id say get guitar pro. You can see and hear the tabs you are playing and there is this great feature called speed builder that loops the piece of the song you select, and everything it repeats the tempo increase a little bit. Awesome software.

take it slow man. It might benefit you to take some lessons on the theory thing, its kinda hard to explain on the internet.

I have Guitar Pro and it has helped me loads since I got it, I take lessons on and off... I don't know. I find it hard to stick to any one thing and practice it for long periods of time. I suppose I should start anyways.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Last edited by Bushinarin at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by Bushinarin
I have Guitar Pro and it has helped me loads since I got it, I take lessons on and off... I don't know. I find it hard to stick to any one thing and practice it for long periods of time. I suppose I should start anyways.

Don't worry too much about learning one song at a time. Learn parts of two or three (or more) songs and rotate between practicing them. That way you don't get bored with playing.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
You don't particularly need to know tremolo picking - contrary to popular belief it's not used very often. It's NOT a shortcut to playing fast despite what a lot of inexperienced players seem to think and it's certainly not a vital technique for soloing, metal or otherwise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You don't particularly need to know tremolo picking - contrary to popular belief it's not used very often. It's NOT a shortcut to playing fast despite what a lot of inexperienced players seem to think and it's certainly not a vital technique for soloing, metal or otherwise.

+1.

I play a lot of hard rock/metal leads, and the only time I've ever really tremolo picked is to build up into a solo. If you listen to the beginning of the solo in VH's Hot For Teacher, that's what I'm talking about.
1- well, tremolo practive is just practice, unless your doing it wrong. The motion is in your wrist, not your arm, which should stay still.

2- Improvising is equal amounts of knowing patterns of notes that works well, then putting them in a certain key, and on the spot thinking of cool tunes, and then simply knowing which notes your thinking of which is more a musical skill than a guitar technique.

3- As far as I can imagine, picking with an open hand is simply for somfort, or if you intend to use a whammy bar.

4- sorry
Good beginner lead songs - Ruby-Kaiser Chiefs (Very basic solo)
Live Forever-Oasis
Sunflower-Paul Weller
If your muscles are getting tense when your shredding it's because your puttign too much effort into it. People here these fast speeds and think its about power. It's about having a relaxed hand. In a fight if you go in all tense and stiff and expend all your energy, you can be easily defeated by someone who is agile relaxed and ready. Just watch some lead guitar players like Vinnie Moore, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, Malmsteen, Gilbert all those guys play with relaxed right hands.

To say you know a scale means you don't know. A scale isn't about knowing the letters or area it is in. It's about knowing the areas it's not in and letting go. Go with the flow of whatever your trying to jam to, if your not trying to jam on anything and your just trying to go accapella then I would highly recommend gettign Guitar Pro or a drum machine. You'll be able to shred alone but it's easier to follow music because you don't have to think about where your going. The music takes you there.

Are you saying you can't improvise because your want to play fast? You can improvise just do slower stuff. Hold your notes longer do some bends give it some feeling. Shredding is good but it's better with balance. I like going in and out of shredding. The best guitarists do that.

Your picking hand doesnt matter if its open or closed in fact your probably go between both. every holds a pick differently. look at Marty Friedman and Steve Morse. Pay more attention to the way you hold a pick between you thumb and finger. Research the different ways to hold a pick. Figure out why they are held that way. For my first 4 years of playing I held my pick wrong but I researched and found a more stable faster way to hold it.

Soloing should go in and out of rhythm playing. Players that endlessly solo must love thier cake drowning in whipped cream, because that is what is like. Too much salt on the dish. Improvise rhythm and go in and out of solos the concept is called phrasing. It works on timing, rhythm, improv, lead, and songwriting. Don't limit yourself to one style, and don't spread yourself to thin. BlackBeltGuitar.com is good for Beginners-Professional. You can check out My Blog its in my signature. ultimate guitar has probably the best Guitar Pro tab archive. If you dont have Guitar pro than get it or something similar. Even a metronome is better than nothing. Easy lead guitar i would say Black sabbath and Fade To Black or Black Album by Metallica. If you get guitar pro though you can play the hard hard stuff really slow and build up speed. this is better if you want to build technique faster. You can learn easy songs first, but if you learn an intermediate/hard song and build your speed up than this will enable you to play easy songs like that.

Most Important Listen. Listen to where you are messing up and work on those problem spots. You don't benchpress if your trying yo get rid of a beerbelly right? Listen to other players too and see what they do and what you like.

Final Note: Play the guitar don't work it. Becoming The ultimate shredder is a process and not a product. Guitar playing frees our minds and our spirits when we play. For just that moment nothing else matters just you and the guitar. That is Zen. Let the guitar free you. Rock On Rock Warrior!
also, if you haven't already, I reccomend 7 nation army by the white stripes. easiest song ever
Wow - amazing posts!

I looked in this thread because I was "raised" on a classical which is a very different style than solo electric, and desperately want advice on breaking into soloing.

You guys give some great advice!

~*BA*~
Last edited by BeccaAnn at Feb 22, 2008,